Will any PS3 rip SACDs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jrdiandrea, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrdiandrea

jrdiandrea Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a large collection of SACDs and understand the only way to rip the hi rez layer is by using a PS3. Will any PS3 unit work? Anything out of the ordinary I shoukd be aware of?

Thx

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I think only early generation players could do it, and it sounded like an ordeal to me. I believe there are threads here about it.

3. jrdiandrea

Thx Pinknik. Glad I asked. Even if I were to find one that worked I dont want to make a major project out of it. Think I'll just continue playing my discs.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

5. jrdiandrea

Thx stereoptic. Wow. Took a quick look. I have enough other involved network programs/equipment that keep me busy. Don't think i want to get this involved either!

stereoptic likes this.
  6. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

I think you would be better off hiring musicians and recording the songs yourself,going by the time to rip said disc"s!.:laugh:

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

If you don't want to make a major project out of it (and I'm with you on that) you can do what I did. I bought an old Oppo that playes SACDs and has an HDMI output. The Oppo will convert DSD to PCM at 24/88.2. With an HDMI de-embedder, you can feed the 24/88.2 into a sound card via SP/DIF and record the stream to a file. So you can put all your SACDs on your server as 24/88.2 files. Not as good as DSD, but it sounds pretty nice.

Here is a thread on what I am talking about http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

Here is a review of some de-embedders ( I bought the Kanex $45) http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html

gregorya, Pinknik and c-eling like this.
  8. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I looked into this a couple weeks ago, I think you can have any PS3 as long as its the older "fat" generation that has SACD playback (I think that's all but the final generation of the "fat").

If it has up to date software on it, you can put it back to the version that works by going in the order of Hacked Firmware #1 > Hacked Firmware #2 > Factory default software. I found instructions on this but it was pretty patchwork. I think with better documentation it would be as trivial as copying files to a memory stick and booting up the PS3 a few times. Over the holidays I plan on giving it another stab as I have the right model of PS3.

10. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Keep us updated, please. I think there are a number of members here who be interested in your findings.

11. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Nope. It has to be the old release model with the SACD parts in it. It also needs to have OFW less than or equal to 3.55. This is because in order to load the SACD ripping program, you need to load an alternative OS that runs the program.

I really wish Sony would just make external drives that could read the high res layer and let us rip it. After all, we paid for the content. I just want to be able to listen to it on my FiiO, I am not planning on distributing it to another person.

This is why I wish audiophile labels would use Blu Ray discs instead of SACD.

12. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

It really isn't that bad and seems more complicated than it really is. If you think it is too much for you, there are a number of people at ComputerAudiophile that will rip them for you (no charge other than postage).

13. UglyAudio

UglyAudio Forum Resident

Ah! Nice way to get free music. Send me your disks and I'll rip them for free and maybe keep a copy for myself?

14. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

I had a Fat model with too high of firmware, sent it off to be flashed/downgraded. The ripping is a little clumsy but not rocket science. Works very well...it just takes a couple steps to rip to ISO then convert to dsf, then flac if needed. Oh, and I'd also be happy to provide rips for people who send SACDs and flash drives, just PM me.

15. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Someday I may take you up on that cordobaman.

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I did over 400 discs. It's not hard, but it IS time consuming. One thing I discovered - the speed of transfer to individual flash drives (even where they are the same model and size) varies enormously. My fastest was more about three times the speed of the slowest. I have no idea why this should be the case, but it was true on the two PS3s I used.

17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Ripping via Ethernet is faster and less error prone.

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Hmm - I was afraid to further complicate things when I started, but I have a NAS now. It looks like it needs a bat file. I'm not sure where to find it (or whether I might even have it).

19. cpdk

cpdk New Member

Hi cordobaman,

This is interesting... I too have an SACD playing PS3, which unfortunately has a higher firmware version than the 3.55 required by the sacd-ripper; where did you send it "to be flashed/downgraded"? Did it cost you money?

Thanks

20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Also interested in downgrading my currently up-to-date PS3. Not that I have more than a few SACDs but it's good to have that capability. It's a shame so much has changed since the release model - there have been more hardware revisions than I could count on one hand. If only Sony would make a PS4 that was as capable as the original PS3, not only would I have bought 2 at launch but my PS3 could have found a permanent home in an electronics landfill for all I care. Shame that they continually make their hardware worse and worse.

21. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.