Ultra Mini Stereo System for about $100

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CraigVC, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone else tried to build or use an "ultra mini" stereo system like this? I thought it might be fun to have a conversation about our experiences with this little experiment in tiny frugality...

For me, the purpose was to build a system as cheaply and as small as possible, with the highest possible fidelity given those two primary constraints. This system is for a temporary apartment I'm living in for an extended project out of town. So when it's time to "bug out" on short notice, I don't want to have more than an easy carload of stuff to pack up and leave with. And I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a system that will likely go into storage after this project is over.

I ended up building the same system that Steve Guttenberg recommended in this article, (which I found in this forums thread) just by browsing around Amazon and finding highly-rated tiny components.

Here's what I assembled (all links to Amazon product pages, and prices as of this writing):
    Lepai LP-2020A+ Class T 20-watt amplifier = US$18.49
    Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers (40-watt max) = US$49.95
    FiiO D3 Digital-to-Analog Converter with optical cable = US$31.99
    TOTAL = US$100.43

I posted some more detailed notes about how I've got this system connected to sources, etc., at Roku 3 $80 at Amazon, but I realize that such detail is a digression in the thread focused on Roku 3, so I'm splitting this topic out to a new thread.

Here's what I said previously, so it's all in one place in this thread:

Well, I have my new "super-mini" system set up, and the sound is interesting, but unfortunately I can't incorporate the Roku 3 into the system yet because it lacks a digital output, aside from HDMI.

So until a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable arrives later today, I've been restricted all week to listening to the Lepai and Dayton Audio system via a mini D/A converter that gets sound from my desktop PC.

Here's the full path as of today:

PC --> thread-thin optical toslink cable that was in the D/A converter box --> FiiO D3 192/24 D/A converter --> random pair of RCA Monster Cable I had in storage --> Lepai LP-2020a+ amplifier --> smaller gauge speaker wire that was in the Dayton Audio speakers box --> Dayton Audio B652 speakers --> my ears!

After I get the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable from Monoprice, this will be the new path (the new stuff is in bold), which will remove the D/A converter from the path because the Lepai amp only has a single stereo pair of RCA stereo inputs:

PC and Roku 3 and Macbook Air --> Amazon Essentials HDMI cables --> Philips 26 inch HDTV --> 3.5mm-to-RCA cable from Monoprice --> Lepai LP-2020a+ amplifier --> smaller gauge speaker wire that was in the Dayton Audio speakers box --> Dayton Audio B652 speakers --> my ears!

If the Philips headphone amp is too crappy compared to digital outs, though, I may be very sad.

My initial impressions with the first path, though, are that the system delivers amazing accuracy and detail. I put a bunch of MP3s on random, and aside from needing to account for the volume differences from track to track, I can hear obvious differences in the studio recordings (the way vocals sound, the "air" around the instruments) in ways that I can't even detect with my home stereo system (Denon + Polk). I'm not sure that's a good thing yet, but it's certainly different.

The other big takeaway is that this super-mini system doesn't deliver a lot of bass (not a shock). I haven't fiddled with the tone controls on the amp yet, though. I have only listened so far with the tone controls bypassed via button on the front of the device. Maybe this is a good time to use tone controls. :)

Craig.

_________
    Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

norman_frappe and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. CraigVC

OH MY GOD.

I think I may have just figured out why I couldn't get the coaxial audio signal to output ... There's a little toggle switch on the D/A converter between the coaxial and optical inputs!

Can't wait to get back to my apartment to try it tonight!!

Darn devices are so tiny that it's hard to see what's what! :hide:

3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

There's just something about tiny, inexpensive gear that's enticing! :)

4. CraigVC

I'm eager to get audio flowing through the Philips HDTV, preferably with the digital coaxial output, because that will allow me to use the TV's remote to control the volume of whatever source I have hooked up to the TV. That missing convenience is one of the downsides of a tiny system like this, but it's certainly understandable that anything and everything non-essential is omitted in favor of smaller and simpler.

And if I eventually decide to hook up this tiny system to my desktop PC back home (replacing the decent but horribly colored Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker system I've had for a few years), I won't need a remote volume because I would just use the volume controls on the computer. The more significant problem will be figuring out a way to place the much larger Dayton Audio speakers, compared to the tiny Klipsch satellites that just fit on either side of my monitor.

Hopefully my error in overlooking the toggle switch on the D/A converter will be the reason I couldn't get any audio via coaxial, but I could via optical from PC to D/A. Makes sense; can't wait to get back to the system tonight to test and verify!

Craig.

5. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Not to mention exciting!

I would have LOVED to have that gear when I was first getting into audio! Or even now.

My first Pioneer/Fisher rig would have bowed trembling before what Craig has laid out!

Oh, and Craig, I had that Klipsch Promedia system. It actually sounded quite nice for what it was. But the sub took a dump on me just a few months in. Klipsch knows good sound, but their wiring is simply embarrassing. And that extends to their earbuds, as well.

6. CraigVC

allnoyz, are you pulling my leg ("bowed trembling")?

Not sure what vintage or models you're talking about, but when I read "Pioneer/Fisher rig" the first thing that comes to mind are some really sweet (but massive in size) AM/FM solid state receivers and large three-way speakers with 12" or 15" woofers ... and a Technics direct drive turntable, of course. It's too far back in my memory to reliably say how such a system would compare to any modern systems, but I seem to recall them delivering the goods pretty well when you put on - for example - a first pressing vinyl LP of Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy, or Physical Graffiti.

I would like to have the opportunity some day to have both this "ultra mini" system and my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system hooked up side by side for some comparisons. Right now, though, they're physically located in different states. :p I suspect this new $100 system will be superior to the $140 Klipsch powered speakers, even with the shy bass on the ultra mini system (though as I mentioned earlier, I have yet to experiment with the Lepai's tone controls!).

Craig.

7. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

I've got a Lepai LP-2020A hooked up to a pair of Focal Chorus 707S's in my basement system. I ended up replacing the 12V 2A wall wart that came with the Lepai with a cheap (under $10) 12V 5A supply and it made a noticeable difference at louder volumes.

8. CraigVC

Now, I've taken the FiiO D/A converter out of the initial chain that I described in post #1, and implemented the secondary chain I also described in post #1.

Here's what I've got at this point:

PC and Roku 3 and Macbook Air --> Amazon Essentials HDMI cables --> Philips 26 inch HDTV --> 3.5mm-to-RCA cable from Monoprice --> Lepai LP-2020a+ amplifier --> smaller gauge speaker wire that was in the Dayton Audio speakers box --> Dayton Audio B652 speakers --> my ears!

This is the most straightforward and utilitarian chain for my needs, as including the D/A converter in the chain would restrict me to using a single (digital) input as a source, and I need/want to juggle multiple sources - especially PC and Roku.

Using HDMI and relying on the HDTV as the "switcher" allows me to use up to three sources because the TV has three HDMI inputs.

It does mean the headphone amplifier in the Philips HDTV is most-likely the weak link in the chain.

However, it still sounds pretty good for my needs.

I'm currently listening to the XTC Skylarking "corrected polarity" CD version, playing on my PC's disc drive, through the HDTV and out to the Lepai amplifier and Dayton speakers.

Cranking it up another 5-10 notches on the TV's volume control generally makes everything sound more pleasing. I just kicked up the fading moments of "Dying" another 10 notches, and the results were an improvement. The following "Sacrificial Bonfire" track has unexpected detail, but as usual the Achilles' heel of a budget setup like this is the thin/straining bass.

I just realized that I had had the tone controls disabled, so I enabled them and messed with them... But as with my prior attempts, no tweaking of the tone controls seems to yield anything better than bypassing the tone controls... But I think for the next day or so, I'll leave the tone controls (currently set for one notch below flat for treble, and two notches above flat for bass) enabled and see if I can get used to the coloration, or if it will just continue to rub me the wrong way.

I think ultimately I'm seeking the most "musical" output, even if that means sacrificing some clarity/detail/accuracy. Time will tell if that's really what I want.

Craig.

9. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

This is really kool... Maybe I'll get a system like this for my bathroom (I already have an office system)...

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Are the Daytons the "originals", or the "revised" versions?

11. CraigVC

I assume the ones I got are the revised version. I ordered them from Amazon on March 23. (Damnit, they're marked down to $36.46 when I just checked; I paid $51.99 for them!)

12. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

I thought virtually TV's nowadays had digital outs via Toslink . Maybe your Phillips doesn't.

13. CraigVC

Nope, it doesn't have a Toslink out - only a coaxial out.

And the "catch" with the coaxial out is that the volume control of the Philips HDTV is not responsive when I use the coaxial out.

I don't want to rely on the manual volume control knob of the Lepai amplifier, so for convenience I prefer to run HDMI through the Philips HDTV, output to the Lepai amplifier, allowing me to take advantage of the Philips volume control via remote.

So I suppose my reasons for preferring analog to digital output in post #8 aren't completely accurate. Coaxial digital output works on the Philips HDTV (once I realized the FiiO D/A converter has a toggle switch), but my preference is to stick with the headphone amplifier of the Philips HDTV, output to the Lepai, because that's the only way I've discovered that will allow me to control the volume via remote of multiple inputs.

Sorry for the confusion. This ultra mini system is definitely a part-time experiment/hobby for me. My main goal was to improve on the audio quality of the system I started with, at a remote location away from home. I only have time to experiment with this system basically every other weekend, and often under the influence of post-work-week craft beer. :) So I'm not as rigorous in my experiments and descriptions as I otherwise might be.

I am definitely happier with this new $100 system, compared to the JBL powered computer speakers that it replaced. But I haven't spent sufficient time exploring all of the possibilities with this new system, I have the speakers in a less-than-optimal position, etc.

I do like this new ultra-mini system enough that I'll probably seek to compare it with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system I have back home, whenever I'm back there for a while, and potentially let it replace that Klipsch system if it sounds better to me. (I might be able to do that comparison toward the end of summer this year.)

Craig.

14. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

You're close. My Pioneer receiver was a 40 watt weakling with a thin and malnourished sound, and my Fisher speakers were 12" three ways in what seemed like a cardboard cabinet with tons of resonance and mud.

"Bowed trembling" is hyperbole, but that system sounded horrifying.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, not shrill or anything? How's the midrange?

16. CraigVC

I'm not sure how I could isolate how much of an impact to my overall impressions is being contributed by the Lepai amplifier versus the Dayton Audio speakers.

Not to mention the contribution to the system's overall sound quality by the media sources/players:
    • digital files on my desktop PC - usually 256kbps MP3s or 44.1/16 FLACs
    • redbook CDs on the $20 ASUS DVD/CD drive
    • streaming audio from Google Play or Amazon Cloud Player or Spotify via browser or Roku apps
    • stereo soundtracks of films or TV shows, usually streamed via Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, or individual TV channel websites

Without doing a lot of experimentation and swapping out various components, how can I say with certainty which of those components (and to what degree each) is contributing to the overall sound I'm hearing?

I can only say that the overall system (including amplifier, speakers, cheap speaker wire that came with the speakers, Monoprice analog cables, and everything passing through the Philips HDTV's headphone amplifier) sounds "good enough" to me, and is definitely an upgrade to the JBL computer speakers I started with. (To be fair, this ultra mini system is probably 6 times the physical size of the JBL speakers...)

Compared to the JBL computer speakers, this ultra mini system:
    • can be cranked up WAY louder (without any distortion)
    • has much better stereo separation (i.e., isolation of instruments; a few minutes ago I was listening to Richard Thompson's "One Door Opens" - as 256kbps MP3s - and can easily hear the stringed instruments, the tambourine, etc., each in its place in the stereo soundstage ... and now listening to the Audio Fidelity CD-layer of Warren Zevon's "Johnny Strikes Up The Band," I'm clearly hearing the shaker, the cowbell, the acoustic guitar, the bass guitar, etc.)
    • has more realistic treble (especially the cymbals which sound better defined and more realistic without being too shrill; I can easily tell whether it's a crash or ride cymbal which wasn't as easy with the JBL speakers)
    • has serviceable midrange, which is nothing to rave about, but is pretty good for a system this price, and without a doubt is a vast improvement on the JBL computer speakers (in other words, I definitely wouldn't claim this system is a "giant killer" in that regard ... there is some harshness/brittleness in Zevon's vocals on the AF Excitable Boy CD-layer, but I can't say how much of that is the recording itself versus deficiencies in this system)

The big catch of this ultra mini system with me is that the bass is obviously lacking. It's as if this system is only giving me the impression of bass guitar and drums, but I'm never feeling that they're really in front of me, which is something my home system (see my profile) does pretty well.

. . . "Werewolves of London" is sounding pretty damn good about now. :)

Craig.

bhazen likes this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks! :wave:

I'm considering doing this (Daytons+Lepai+cheap DVD player) just for fun. True 'minimalist' fi!

18. CraigVC

From the "It Never Ends" Department:
    I sort of wonder how the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR "Andrew Jones Designed" bookshelf speakers would sound with the Lepai amplifier. They can cost as much as three times as the Daytons, though. (But I've seen them on sale for as little as US$85-90.) Also, I think they are bigger than the Dayton speakers, so ... that would seem to go against the "ultra mini" goal of finding the best possible sound in the smallest possible components.

19. jerwardemy

jerwardemy Forum Resident

If you don't mind a little DIY, I'd get a TPA3116 board from Yuan Jing...it's $20 and basically plug and play. All you really need is a 12 - 19v power supply from a laptop. It puts out around 50w into 4 ohms and about 30w into 8ohms. There are two large threads about it on Audiokarma and DIYaudio comparing it to some very expensive amps. I have one and it doesn't give up much of anything next to my Marantz 2270 and 2252B.

20. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

The old SP-BS21s were routinely available for $50 including shipping. I can't imagine these Daytons sounding anywhere near as good, but that would be an interesting bargain shootout. I need to put together a workshop system and I'm thinking about going this route with an Airport Express to the Lepai and my Pioneers.

21. CraigVC

Well, my time here at this apartment (long term contract away from home) is approaching an end. I could be here anywhere from a week to until the end of September. (I'm thinking the latter is more likely, but in the life of a traveling consultant, anything can happen, anytime.)

So I'm setting aside the "upgrade fever" I hinted at in post #18 back in April, and lately I've just been enjoying the $100 ultra-mini system I have now.

And it's a damn fine system! Is it as good as the 5.1 home theater system I have at home, which probably cost me $5,000 altogether (especially if factoring in "regular retail price," as I got several components on "closeout")? No, of course not! But is this $100 system (let's call it a $250 system since I've added an older Pioneer DV-563A universal disc player into the path) providing at least half as much pure pleasure and enjoyment as my $5,000 system? HELL YES.

The math says this cheap little system is an amazing bargain. :)

At the moment, I'm listening to ZZ Top's First Album, burned to DVD-Audio DVD-R from 192kHz/24bit files from HDTracks. And it sounds FANTASTIC.

Sure, the bass is still lacking. It's not going to compete with a pair of modest Polk tower speakers with integrated powered subwoofer. Much less something higher-end or more exotic.

But for a travel-capable system valued at $250 (including SACD/DVD-Audio universal player), it sounds like the steal of the century to me, and cost aside it give me a lot pleasure to hear the music reproduced so nicely and "musically." I keep turning up the glowing blue volume knob of the Lepai amp another notch every hour or so, and haven't yet had the urge to turn it down yet.

Craig.

P.S. - The momentary drum break of track 8, around the 3:20 and again at 4:00 mark of track 8 of ZZ Top's First Album, just made my jaw drop at how nice it sounded. Again, these impressions are most definitely tempered by the knowledge that I've only spent $100 on the amp + speakers. I'm sure if I spent $500+ on the same system, my response would be less enthusiastic. And if I'd spent $1,000+, I'd probably be complaining rather than praising! :) But for $100 ... c'mon ... this tiny little system has got some chops!

22. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Hello Craig. I just upgraded my PC audio system with the Dayton D652 and the Lepai LP-2020A+, both were "open box" specials for a total of $46. Very pleased with the sound. I perform mainly needle drops on this PC. My question is , why is the FiiO D3 Digital-to-Analog Converter needed ? I connected the LP 2020A+ to the analog out of my PC stand-alone sound card (Asus Xonar DG). That sound card does have a optical out, but why would I introduce another piece of equipment in the sound path ? I have a similar DAC with optical in and RCA out to try. Thank you for the review and your res-ponce.

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

FYI Monoprice makes a B652 'clone' - the 108250 - for (usually) less money (available on Amazon and their own website.) Haven't checked user reviews lately, but my impression was their q.c. may be more consistent than Dayton's. I may try a pair; hey, a 2-way monitor with 6" mid/bass driver for <$50, shipped!?

Surrender those ear buds and Bluetooth gadgets for a taste of hifi!

24. CraigVC

I thought the sound quality of the FiiO D3 might be better than the sound quality of the integrated sound card on my PC's motherboard. I think it does sound better than the integrated/onboard soundcard of the motherboard.

This ultra-mini system of mine is now in storage, as I no longer have the apartment I was renting, and back home there is not room on my computer's desk to support the "large" Dayton speakers (at least they're large compared to the junky-sounding Klipsch 2.1 speakers that do just barely fit on either side of the monitor/display).

I hope at some point in the future to get a new computer desk that will enable me to set this ultra-mini system back up again. It definitely blows away the Klipsch 2.1.

Craig.

25. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Thank you Craig. Guess I'll dig out that DAC and give it a try. So far, I'm quit pleased, it beats the heck out of the little Creative 2.1 speakers I was using, and can't beat the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.