The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident

Again, the 2014 iTunes version of A Quick One IS true mono. Whether they simply took a single channel of the stereo transfer, or folded both channels in to make it mono, or did a brand-new mono transfer for real is a different question.

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

is there tape damage at 8.02 [of the download] to 8.05 on WNGTI?
    is the bootleg the same...........or have they used some NR tool on this version?
    it's full of dropouts/holes as if some heavy declicker went over it.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hard to tell for certain, but I believe that's just an issue with the original recording.

4. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Listening to the new 2014 iTunes version of Who's Next and Bonus tracks and it's the best I've heard both!!

5. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Hmm, even Who's Next? Interesting.

6. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

are the three mono albums becoming a catch-all for all related material? or is there still some stuff missing?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What do you mean?

The downloads do not contain everything, and in fact sometimes leave off material that was issued on the recent Japanese releases.

8. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

I mean in terms of singles, b-sides, EPs, etc. not session outtakes.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

Well, for $6.99, after waiting for a week, I couldn't not download the 2014 stereo AQO any longer. I think for the first time in my life, I might have really liked listening to Don't Look Away. It's always seemed to me, at that stage in their repertoire, to be too sweet and nice, and too c/w (and I like 'C/W Who'), but then again what do I know - one of the reasons I bought this download was I thought the cover Bucket T sounded clearer to me than the other cd stereo version(s) I have! The sound of the cymbals and cymbal wash on Barbara Ann is still brutal on me ears though, can't listen to the damn thing, and I love the performance, from what I've heard of it, :). I like how "Man With Money" gets The Who special treatment instrumental finale.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. What is WNGTI?

11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

we're not gonna take it.

12. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

I was extremely lucky and just got me the rather hard-to-find 1988 WGFA maxi single CD with the live, unedited and excellently-mixed "Boney Moronie" which I'm going to splice in the new iTunes Young Vic show between Naked Eye and WGFA for my private joy, hehe. For more info, just PM me with your Email addy, OK?

Who ahoy!
    Th:)mas

getitgoin and dee like this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's unedited, but it isn't excellently-mixed. It doesn't have the normal John-left/Pete-right stereo separation.

14. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Ok, Luke, that's true, it could have been done better but also a lot worse, too, right? And the mastering is fine, isn't it?

15. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Is this is the first release of original stereo mixes of
    Early Morning Cold Taxi,
    Jaguar,
    Glittering Girl,
    Girl's Eyes

Isn't Cold Taxi and Girls Eyes vintage stereo on the 09 Sell Out deluxe?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct.

We're sure the others are vintage mixes? I can't remember about Jaguar offhand, but my understanding is there isn't a vintage stereo mix of Glittering Girl (either version).

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Are there any tracks that are still best heard on, or unique to the 30 yrs boxset.?

for example: Bony Moronie, Fortune Teller

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Fortune Teller isn't unique, although the mix is.

Here Tis
    Zoot Suit (unique remix)
    Happy Jack Jingle
    A Quick One While He's Away (unique hybrid of studio and R&R Circus alternate take)
    Coke 2 (unique remix)
    The Last Time (unique remix)
    Call Me Lightning (unique remix)
    Mary Anne (unique remix)
    Dogs (unique remix)
    Amazing Journey/Sparks [mistitled 'Underture'] (unique longer remix)
    Bony Maronie (unique edited remix)
    Join Together (unique remix)
    Relay (unique remix)
    The Real Me (Kenny Jones version)
    Long Live Rock (unique remix)
    Twist and Shout
    I'm A Man

Plus a few things that have unique edits, like Jaguar, Naked Eye, etc. And various dialog.

kevin5brown, dee, Remy and 1 other person like this.
  19. dammci

dammci Forum Resident

Are the versions of I Can't Explain and Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere on the mono My Generation the original single mixes, or something different? Struggling to find any information on this.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Original mixes.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow nice to know that it's rare.

22. dammci

dammci Forum Resident

Great, thanks!

23. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I thought that "Jaguar" (aside from being edited) was a different mix. Or is that mix somewhere else that I've missed? Also isn't "Join Together" the same remix as what's on My Generation-The Very Best of The Who, although not crossfaded. I need to brush up on all of this stuff! :)

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure about Jaguar. I thought it was otherwise the same as what was on the 1995 Sell Out.

The added "flute" at the end of Join Together comes in at a different time on MG:TVBoTW. I've never quite been able to figure that one out.

The intro to The Seeker is also different on the box.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Thanks! Man, I should just hire you as my personal Who reference guide! :)

Yes, I remember "The Seeker" thing and now that you mention it, I remember syncing those "Join Together" mixes many years ago and thinking "WTF?". It's just been so long, I can't keep them straight in my mind. Something like that really doesn't make sense. There are SO many Who mix variations. I love this kind of stuff, but this can be a bit frustrating.

I could be mistaken, but I think "Jaguar" is a different mix. I remember being slightly frustrated that I couldn't eliminate the 'fade in' intro to "Jaguar" by editing it from another mix, because things weren't exactly centered or something... Again, my memory could be failing me and I'm not at home to do a quick check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.