According to report, Amy Adams will play Janis Joplin in biopic. *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Amy is a fantastic actress and she can sing, so it sounds like a decent enough choice to me. There is zero chance the film would be made with a less-than-beautiful actress in the lead (it IS Hollywood after all).

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Amy Adams will be 41 late next year playing someone in her mid 20's.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. progrocker71

Amy Adams doesn't look 41....and Janice looked much older than her actual years.

4. SoundAdvice

It's the years before she went to San Fran where it will be very obvious. The touring years will be fine since the outfits will offer a distraction.

5. Well, that's what CGI is for!

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If they need to change an actors age, they use a company called Lola. Its use was revealed in that X Men movie where they had to make Patrick Stewart and Ian Mackellen 30 years younger. It had been used secretly to make Madonna and Kylie look younger in their music videos.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

Andre from Outkast recently playing Hendrix and Howard Stern playing himself seemed to do OK. Big hair helps

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

The most beautiful actress in Hollywood playing the ugliest singer in rock n roll?

Bad idea

9. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

And it looked TERRIBLE. I just saw it again yesterday and it was patently obvious to my eyes that it was enhanced, and I don't own the highest rez TV in the world, either, lol..

10. FastForward

Adams is playing Lady GaGa?

four sticks likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That was the very first use. The technology has improved so dramatically in recent years that it is used constantly, and you don't notice it. I'm the sort of person who stays in the theater and reads credits, and it is now the default aging/de-aging technique.

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I rather have unknown play Janis .
    What about that actress who played her broadway.? I heard she has the pipes and the looks.
    Amy is too nice and pretty to play her.

13. FastForward

It might be the default, but it's a permanent statement that may or may not hold over time, IMO. In other words, if it's not 100% perfect, and it's easy for a non-professional to detect, then it really has no place being used, as it stands forever once it is done. I watched that yesterday and both of them looked like they were covered in silly-putty- that skin-colored elastic stuff I used as a kid- and it just stood out to my eyes. And it will always look like that to me. Whether the technique has improved or not is important, but if it's detectable at any point, I don't like when they use it. I'd rather they cast the very short scene or shoot it in a different way to accommodate the story line than resort to blemished production. It may be my issue, I don't care for a lot of the CGI-type stuff we see nowadays...in relation to Amy Adams playing Joplin, I can't visualize that in my head no matter how much technique is used. In the long, long history of poor quality rock-related movies, I would hope that Hollywood would have learned that some things are important when it comes to the genre, and some are not. Any rock bio-flick that can't include an artists music is doomed to failure, IMO. Any rock bio-flick that casts the lead with someone who is totally an opposite to the spirit of the artist is doomed to failure, IMO. I'm sorry, and this is nothing about Adams talent level, but casting America's current sweetheart as Joplin seems a stretch of grand canyon proportions to me. I'm not sure she can envelope and inhabit this character with all the grit, pain and anguish it would require.

Gumboo and Vidiot like this.
  14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Crystal Bowersox woulda been perfect . Don't think she is an actress though!

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Good someone steps up to fill the gap bencasey left.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

She sounds like a great choice. She was in an episode of "Without A Trace", if I remember correctly. However, she doesn't have much name recognition in terms of headlining a movie.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think even great VFX can only go so far. For an indie like this where the actress is going to be in the movie for 90 minutes or more, they have to actually hire someone who's the appropriate age. 41 would be closer to Janis Joplin's mother, unfortunately.

I agree 1000%. Time and gravity can be very cruel, especially in Hollywood.

18. Royce

Royce Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Janis is the first person I thought of when I saw this. o_O

19. progrocker71

That's not Amy Adams. That is Isla Fisher.

20. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I'm SO out of the loop! :biglaugh:

21. I didn't know who she was, but I knew she wasn't Amy Adams.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

OUCH!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.