When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

I thought that Supertramp's The Logical Song was sung by a computer or a robot of some kind.

Scratcha likes this.
  2. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Another I misheard at the age of about 14 was in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" as it begins..."I look at you all, see the loved pervert sleeping".
    Hey it was the Beatles! Who was I to think that's not what it was??

hi_watt likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, Ben was a much better singer than Rick.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It wasn't just kids - plenty of adults didn't get it either. I remember how much my best friend's super-conservative mom loved the Village People - if only she'd known! :laugh:

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Not lyrics, but for a long while, I thought Brian Wilson co-wrote Pet Sounds with Peter Asher...

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

For a long time I thought "Paint it Black" was a Doors song.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That's perfectly plausible. I could see how you would think that.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

No, no, that was "Hi Hi Hi". :p

9. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

I still do

10. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Black group:

Om likes this.
  11. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Our house is a very very very find house with two cats and a dog, life isn't very hard...

Who are you - The Who (Blue Auning, blue blue blue blue)

Thought Steely Dan was a solo artist

Livin Thing - ELO (I'm takin a dump) dive

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Scratcha likes this.
  12. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

When The Beatles released 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' I was seven years old and (because of the nice tune and the rhythm) I thought it was the coziest, happy-go-lucky song ever.
    It was not until I got older and learned English (which is not my first language) that I realized that the song is really about some rotten nutcase who is running around killing people just because he does not like them.
    I liked the tune a lot as a kid but when I grew up I learned that apparently 'Maxwell' is one of the earliest songs in the McCartney canon which is regarded as 'bad-taste' (whatever that is) and the kind of song he later filled up an endless string of solo albums with.
    I wish I had remained a kid....

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

"No man kneels to flies on my s**t"

- KE9/3rd

Scratcha likes this.
  14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Let's see here's a few lyrics that I sung out loud wrong for like forever until a wise man told me otherwise.

Kiss- I use to think he was singing, "I'm the King Of the nighttime world, an your my Midnight Queen". The actual lyric is "And your my HEADLIGHT Queen". My Lyric is better.

Van Halen- On "Unchained" I use to think the lyric said, "Till I got a BACK city address". The actual lyric is "FAT" city address. Again, mine is better.

A lastly, "Your So Vain". First I never knew what "Gavotee" even meant, let alone how to pronounce it. I was always to lazy to even look it up. And another line I sung forever wrong up until the internet came along "Some underworld spy or a wife of a "Postman, wife of a Postman" lol. It's actually "wife of a close friend, wife of a close friend".

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

And even more surprising for me was when I learned how many tracks Jerry actually sung lead on post Freedom of Choice. Growing up I always thought Mark sang lead on everything. But Jerry does:

Six tracks on New Traditionalists plus shared lead on Through Being Cool - so 7/10.
    Four tracks on Oh, No! It's Devo - 4/11
    Six tracks on Shout - 6/10
    Only two on Total Devo - 2/12 (only count Some Things Never Change once)
    Five on Smooth Noodle Maps including shared lead on Stuck in a Loop - 5/11
    Ten on Something for Everybody including shared lead on What We Do - 10/16

I think it took me almost longer to be able to distinguish between Ben and Ric's voices.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I have to agree. :agree: I had the PB version on this LP and it must have been one of the first albums I ever owned.

[​IMG]

Cringeworthy sleeve, looking back on it (plus 10 tracks per side won't make it sound wonderful) but I've always got it in the back of my mind to grab a copy again if ever I see it and I'm sure to, sometime. It was wonderful, to the 10 year old me. :D http://www.discogs.com/Various-20-Of-Another-Kind/release/1734376

17. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

The very first time I heard INXS' "Elegantly Wasted" on the radio, I thought they were singing "I'm living in a basement".

mekydro likes this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

When I was young, I heard Mr. Tambourine Man sung by The Byrds, and was told in passing that it was written by Bob Dylan. All I knew about Dylan was that he was "serious" and his songs had meanings.

I then heard the song Green Tambourine, and incorrectly thought THAT was Bob Dylan and that the lyrics were filled with deeper meaning.

19. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The first time I heard the blues, it scared the [expletive deleted] out of me. Now I can't get enough of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

I remember a kid singing-I'm not Joe Pepitone.(I'm not your stepping stone) at a department store...Joe Pepitone played for the NY Yankees...

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

On The Reels cover of Here Today it's credited to Brian Wilson and Peter Asher

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Sometime around 1962, I would have been six years old, I was riding in the car with my dad and the radio played Bruce Channel "Hey Baby" and then Muddy Waters "Mannish Boy". I was not ready.

23. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

While I got many lyrics wrong when I was a kid, even when I got the lyrics right, I took them very literally and didn't catch on to the sarcasm, irony and allusion that was often present. It all just went over my head.

24. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

One of my favorite Beatle songs is "Good Morning,Good Morning"
    John sang:
    "Somebody needs to know the time
    Glad that I'm here "
    I thought he was singing "Blast the time gear" . Still kinda like it that way :whistle:

25. loki993

loki993 Forum Resident

As most people Blinded by the light.. always though he was saying Douche.....

Springsteen's 10th Avenue Freeze out I always though it was saying "the devil in these eyes"

And I don't care what Carly Simon says I still think that song is about him......

Tree of Life likes this.