The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI, here's an early (?) mix of The Seeker:

Note the official releases have a 2 bar intro, while this has a 4 bar intro. If memory serves (hopefully), the original mix and the MG:TVBoTW mix use bars 3 and 4, while the 30 Years mix uses bars 1 and 4 (or is it 1 and 2?).

dee, reb and PhoffiFozz like this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Too much of everything, gets too much for me. I'll never be able to get this catalog straight. I think I'm out for now, at-least until that Who's Next box gets released.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Holy s**t. I can't keep up with this.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

And it's only getting worse over time. More and more variations.

5. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

That's what makes it fun though!

getitgoin likes this.
  6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

6 bars as opposed to 4 but yeah, weird to hear.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Record noise(scratches)and a different Roger vocal.....interesting.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I meant the 4 bars of the opening riff.

Double-tracked.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just skimmed through this whole thread. Difficult to keep everything straight, but everything is difficult with The Who. Would appreciate some help here on ones I'm considering:

Live At Leeds - I'll get it. No help needed.
    Tommy - I've only got the MFSL. Is there any advantage of the 96/24 version here (HD tracks/ProStudio) versus the blu-ray beyond files that can easily be used to make a CD? Are the stereo mixes/mastering the same? If so, I'll probably just go for the blu-ray.
    Quadrophenia - same question here, though I have the old W. German Polydor 2cd fatboy set and the SHM-SACD from 2012 (I think). Is the blu-ray audio the way to go?
    My Generation - I'll probably grab the stereo DE. I've got the old MCA CD and the single-layer SACD.
    By Numbers - already have the Japanes P33P, the W. German Polydor, and original US MCA. Is this 96/24 really THAT much better?
    Who's Missing - I have the Hoffman mastered MCA CD. Probably won't bother with the new version of this. At least not now.

Any help appreciated.

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I won't get anything until(or if)it's available as a CD.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Should be very similar or identical.

Note the 3 CDs you have are all identical. I don't think the new mastering is that much better, but YMMV.

Linto likes this.
  12. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Reading that next to your avatar actually made me laugh! :) Not at you or anything, just that your avatar was a download only release.

I am really chomping at the bit to get the releases that are on iTunes as HD tracks, but I am weak and I don't know how much longer I can wait. :)

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

OK, I've been reading this thread and have a question if someone would be so kind - I have these Who - Sell Out cds listed below. Do I REALLY need to download this new mix or it not that big of a deal?

USA MCAD-31332 Stereo, 1988
    USA MCAD-11268 w/ bonus tracks Stereo, 1995
    Japan Universal UICY-94048/9 w/ bonus tracks Stereo and Mono, 2009
    Japan SHM-SACD UIGY-9092 no bonus tracks, Stereo and Mono, 2012

Thanks!

14. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

Its pretty much the same as the 2009 issue but less compressed/limited! Its only on iTunes at the mo so maybe wait for the (hopefully) inevitable 96/24 lossless version..

jsayers likes this.
  15. agentalbert

You're saying the 96/24 downloads are identical or very similar to the original mix 2.0 tracks on the blu-ray audio discs? If I understand correctly, I'll pass on the downloads of Tommy, Quad and By Numbers and just stick with Live At Leeds for sure.

Any help on My Generation?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

What do you want to know about My Generation?

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the 24/96 stereo has numerous oddities, for example newly added (or created) overdubs in "My Generation" and "I Can't Explain." there may be things elsewhere, too.

18. agentalbert

I'm trying to gauge the relative value of the stereo or mono 24/96 downloads. I have the old MCA CD and the single layer SACD from 2003. I've seen the posts indicating there are two tracks with some new overdubs, but if its just tambourine, that probably won't bother me at all. It's not like its a re-recording.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The stereo mixes are new and completely different from any previous release.

The mono is good, but only necessary if you don't already have a good version.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  20. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I wish HD tracks would get their act together and get the proper licences, so that all their stuff is available internationally. How many years does it take?

chaz and Dave Hoos like this.
  21. agentalbert

Thanks, Luke. I'll probably grab the stereo along with Leeds and be satisfied with that for now. Appreciate the help.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

Jaguar seems the same mix to my ears (the 2014 which I was assuming was the same as the previous deluxe) as the '95 single disc. They 'sound' significantly different to me, but I can't hear any noticeable imaging differences.

I would have to burn those 4 songs in their multiple releases on cd (box, '95, '09, '14) to 1 disc for better results, but unlike Melancholia and Fortune Teller, I'm not hearing any mix difference right now, right away, fwiw.

Ditto what I hear from the 2014 Glittering Girl and '95 GG.

Girl's Eyes and Early Morning seem to me to have fairly wide stereo mixes which gives me the illusion of them being vintage. Man that's a unique acoustic guitar and drum outro for Girl's Eyes. Cool stuff!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  23. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

It's not the worst problem to have. Just expensive!

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Wow, Girl's Eyes is butchered ( unless my download faded early) on the '14 release. You don't hear the fantastic end to that song you do on the '95 disc! About 45 seconds, never noticed that before. Also, I think piano and acoustic guitar are possibly flipped.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's just the original mix, just like on the Deluxe Edition.

dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.