HDTracks News (part 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

They are if they are in a larger venue

2. Mij Retrac

I have mixed for several bands for live performances and they have ALWAYS been in mono so the whole audience can hear the same thing! How many bands have you done live sound for?

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Sigh..still not true. In large venues some of the audience gets stereo while some get mono....

4. ServingTheMusic

Many. And recorded hundreds off the board.

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This will be very handy to remember whenever I read your opinions on the sound quality of a release.

6. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Unfortunately this is largely true. I always mixed PA in stereo when I could, but your point is extremely valid. It's all in a matter of how one mixes. I pretty much kept things close to the center, if I wanted everybody to hear them, and used the stereo effect for special stuff.

xj32 and Mij Retrac like this.
  7. zikarus

zikarus Well-Known Member

Well to each his own though this debate is not a religious issue.

Compare the HDTracks versions of Aretha Franklins 1967 record "I have never loved a man..." in mono vs its stereo counterpart and you will experience the stereo as a {very} distant second for the first time...

bluesfan and cgoodwin22 like this.
  8. ServingTheMusic

Definitely, to each his own. As I said in an earlier post..I can't stand the Mono Superior Brigade when they are condescending to those who just don't hear it with mono. Enjoy it, but don't act like it
    the gospel.

If it is your preferred mix, great, by all means disregard the stereo mix

I do think charging separately for the mono and stereo mixes is a bit of gouge here. They really should be released as one download. That is just a side
    observation.

9. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Grrr I want the Simon and Garfunkel releases, but I'm going to wait for 15%. I bought a few of The Who releases with 15% off, but as others noted that just expired.

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Use HDNOV24 through 11/27 11:59 PDT for 15% off new releases, including the Simon and Garfunkel releases.

Bart likes this.
  11. zikarus

zikarus Well-Known Member

@ServingTheMusic:
    Mono for sure is not always superior to stereo and vice versa. The mono version often is the more original release though and closer to what the artists wanted to be released at the times being. That especially makes those hires dl based on early generation analogue master tapes quite interesting imo.

I agree that both versions should regularly be sold as one download instead of two.

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that you are missing out on more than 50% of the music ever recorded, and a lot of it is fantastic.

13. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Anyone pick up the Harrison set yet? Wonder how the ATMP stuff will compare to the offering from Georges site

14. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Stereo is a fabrication as well.

So on Rubber Soul you would rather listen to the stereo version where everything is in the right speaker and the left speaker with nothing in the center. Talk about fabrication.

Many of the early stereo releases are quite "fabricated" and the mono sounds better, its a case-by-case basis, no absolutes.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If only a Gort would come in and make the last page or two go away....this stereo vs mono debate is a)boring and b)nothing to do with HD Tracks News.

AZRunner, supermd, Jaap74 and 2 others like this.
  16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Guys stay on point.

17. Mij Retrac

Actually it is relevant in the sense that there have been more and more mono mixes being released on HDtracks lately like The Who My Generation which many Who fans feel is the better version.

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Barely relevant.

Let's get back on track, folks. Stereo/Mono debates should be in another thread.

Thanks. :)

rburly and mindblanking like this.
  19. Mij Retrac

I agree that many of the previous posts aren't relevant however the My Generation issue is relevant since they have released both the stereo and mono versions in the same week. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is better?

Gary likes this.
  20. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Got the Bookends & Bridge Over Troubled Water HD-Tracks and they sound simply AMAZING!

mindblanking and brianl like this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

Actually I agree with you. Well made point.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  22. ServingTheMusic

A few Springsteen's are up.....

23. Mij Retrac

Downloaded already :p

24. ServingTheMusic

Jeez man...!! I heard the CDs..and I was blown away...so report back.

25. Mij Retrac

I bough the vinyl and those were cut from these 24/96 files and those vinyl sounded awesome as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.