Kinks 50th Anniversary Box Set approaching with goodies....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Dunning, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

So at this point between remixes and the archeological reconnaissance of Ray's original in-phase mixes we've got nearly an entire version of the stereo Something Else that sounds good. Plus, of course, so much more. Thank you Mr. Sandoval, and the Kinks.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is a nice consistency to the sound and material on this set. The surprises are nice with the alts.

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Actually, the Kinks' version of "Milk Cow Blues" is from the 12/30/1965 episode of "Shindig!".

4. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

What is the full list of new remixes on the set please?

Matthew Tate and lou like this.
  5. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

That's the broadcast date, correct. It was taped at Twickenham Film Studios 4 Aug 65.

6. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Having had some time to digest the box, I've got to say it's most impressive. An incredibly comprehensive collection of the Pye years, to me this anthology does what The Beach Boys' Good Vibrations box did two decades ago - puts into clear focus just how incredible The Kinks' output was; dare I say it (especially on this forum;)), equal to, and in some cases beyond, the lads from Liverpool. I realize that Beach Boys box spanned their entire career, as opposed to just the seven years covered here, but I don't think anyone would argue this timeframe was the true golden era.
    The sound is downright addictive to my ears. As soon as I made it all the way through the box, I wanted to listen to it again. It betters the Deluxe Edition series, and I had no problem with the sound on those. Just enough rarities, surprise mixes, as well as some extended intros and fades, to make it feel as if you're hearing this stuff again for the first time. The track selection is nigh on perfect; only addition I think I would have made would have been "The Moneygoround" (notwithstanding my bizarre affinity for "Willesden Green"). Particularly happy with the attention paid to Kontroversy, which while seemingly simpler compared to the next 3 albums that followed, just might be my most-listened-to Kinks LP. And of course Dave's songs, maybe the most unheralded contributions to a major band's catalogue.
    Beach Boys or Beatles? This set makes clear it should be Beach Boys or Beatles or Kinks, and I think it's a lot closer than most would assume.

7. JuhaS

JuhaS Forum Resident

Was listening this set on Spotify and while the tracklisting says that Dead End Street is stereo, it's definitely mono on Spotify. Is this just a mistake on Spotify, is the track really stereo on the box set?

8. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

nice review
    Pete Townshend in the liner notes made it clear who he is voting for

Dave Hoos and GetHappy!! like this.
  9. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Agree on the sound and the fact that they would easily have been the best band of the sixties with a producer and a budget. A colleague at work expressed interest when I told him this was coming out, but after listening to the first two discs, I do not think a casual fan who only wants a hits collection would particularly "get into" disc one. Too much generic British invasion sound, with the gems scattered too far apart. I may tell him to get "Essential" instead. I, however, am enjoying the hell out of it, although I wish we had a clear Doug Hinman guide to the mix variations.

pablo fanques and GetHappy!! like this.
  10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i agree about disc one but so were early Beatles
    on the other hand disc 2/3 /4 are untouchable by any british band from the sixties , gems after gems
    disc 5 is great of course but does not even come close to their golden strike from Kontroversy to VGPS

Steve E. likes this.
  11. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Mistake on Spotify...

12. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Same mistake is on the ITunes download.

13. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

We can only dream of a stereo Dead End Street...

14. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I don't know about Spotify or iTunes, but the official track listing on the back cover and all other track listings that I've seen state that the Reprise US Tour Spot is stereo when it is in fact monaural. As I have previously noted, they also state that takes 1-3 of "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" are monaural when they are in fact in stereo. Furthermore, I believe that the recording dates of "Polly" and "Rosemary Rose" are mere typos. It makes more sense that "Polly" would have been recorded with its a-side "Wonderboy". Were The Kinks even using mellotron in March 1967? Also "Rosemary Rose" has a similar sound to "There Is No Life Without Love" and both were formerly said by Doug Hinman to be recorded between January and March 1968. Furthermore, Hinman mentions an acetate of "Rosemary Rose" from January-March 1968 with "Berkeley Mews" on its b-side and acetates tend to be of fresh recordings I think. Lastly, the sequencing of the box suggests the later recording dates and not the ones listed in the booklet.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Nick Dunning likes this.
  15. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Thanks for confirming this. Its good to hear that tapes without the audience noise exist. I've realised that there's another error here, YRGM has been officially released before on this 1992 Rhino VHS tape (but not Milk Cow Blues) .

[​IMG]
    The Kinks did 3 sessions in all for Shindig!, as well as the two London sessions mentioned in posts on p17 of this thread there was one in Hollywood in July 1965.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  16. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

[QUOTEis"RickJ, post: 11409595, member: 30499"]Just remember, when you cough (as the record company squeezes firmly), don't forget to turn your head!

But seriously, that is unacceptable that corrected discs would not be issued, in Europe or anywhere else. Perhaps it will depend on how LOUDLY purchasers of the box set complain to the label?[/QUOTE]
    There I
    t

Typo's, audio glitches.....You'd think for a fifty quid box set they'd get all this stuff right to begin with.
    I really hope Doug Hinman is considering revising his All Day And All of the Night book due to the latest backing tracks and excerpts being discovered

Nick Dunning likes this.
  17. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

So the mastering is great on this? Much better than the Deluxe Sets?

18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Same amount of compression on average, but definitely brighter than the deluxe editions (and they were already bright)

Some of the remixes are great, some aren't special. Very glad to finally have the last two GLKA tracks and a decent version of "Good Luck Charm" though.

Nick Dunning and dead of night like this.
  19. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Yes, yes, yes, it's my autumn alman-YAK !!!! :)

20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Yes, that's a good point. Finally having a version of Good Luck Charm that's not from acetate is splendid! A very welcome addition :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Did anyone catch the NPR interview with Ray Davies and Terry Gross? Ray talked about
    his severe childhood injury.

22. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident Thread Starter

Indeed, but the song is so black and white and gritty it does make sense to be in mono.

FJFP and Dave Hoos like this.
  23. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of the things the box seems to confirm - the mastertapes of this one are missing in action. We have the dreadful stereo mix which appeared on 'The Kink Kronicles', which even fades up at the start, but no new mix.

We do have them on Top Of The Pops though, and not taking things very seriously. :)

Timjosephuk likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don't find the sound on this set to be overly bright at all

25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

If this set is brighter than the deluxe editions we are in for some ear bleeding listening!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.