Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest: How do you rate it after all these years?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Freedom Rider, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Almost a companion film to The 39 Steps. Fun, exciting, etc.

The crop-duster sequence is one of my favorite scenes in any film. Cary Grant standing out in the middle of nowhere, alone, and you just know something's gonna happen. Great suspenseful build-up.

2. joefont

joefont Senior Member

What he said!

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Why ruin the fun? If I never stopped and thought about it long enough to be bothered by it before there's no reason to start now. I'm sure I could pick nearly any movie apart and find things that seem to be convenient plot devices (why would Josh Brolin get out of bed in the middle of the night to bring a dying drug trafficker some water?!?!?). If a movie is good enough it will carry you beyond the realm of rational thought. You take the bait and let the filmmaker have his or her way with you. Alfred Hitchcock films are suspense fantasies. Logic schmogic. I just go with the flow and enjoy.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member Thread Starter

:agree: Great, great scene!
    It's funny but when I was saw that scene for the first time I thought it was kinda silly. I mean, seriously? Trying to kill a man with a crop duster? What I failed to grasp back then was that normality and common sense are not supposed to be taken into the equation when appraising this film. The movie is nothing but a pure fantasy. All you have to do is turn that smart-ass part of your brain off and enjoy the ride!
    :pineapple:

thxdave and jupiterboy like this.
  5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

The whole paranoid aspect, with such elaborate measures being taken to create a ruse, is just brilliant. All his best have a very empathetic way into the plot.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  6. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member Thread Starter

I completely agree with everything you said.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  7. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I've read that before. She really looks like his older sister.

8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

That music! Classy, exhilarating and suspenseful after all these years. Grace Kelly would have been a better leading lady though.

1) Vertigo
    2) Rear Window
    3) North By Northwest
    4) Psycho
    5) Frenzy

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

One of the best - and the fact it doesn't foreground the psychology in the way Vertigo does makes it all the more effective.

My current Hitch top Five

Strangers on a Train
    North by Northwest
    The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    Suspicion

jupiterboy and lbangs like this.
  10. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Psycho was more financially successful and was released after North By Northwest. I'm pretty sure that The Birds also made quite a bit of money, but not as much as Psycho or NBN.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  11. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

It is easily my favorite Hitchcock film and the third best film I've ever seen.

It is almost like an Ian Fleming novel if the author swapped out Bond for a innocent, clueless man on the street.

I love this so much, I even forgive it the cop-out climax!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Freedom Rider and Shawn like this.
  12. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Vertigo is probably better artistically but not as exciting to watch.

jupiterboy likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Psycho? Worldwide ? Stats?

14. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

A classic, just for the crop duster scene.

Suspension of disbelief? You need to turn off your brain partially to enjoy even the finest works ( say "Breaking Bad"), or shut it down entirely for the worst ("Under The Dome")

Is it Hitch's best? I don't know. But, I get caught up in NXNW's spell every time.

Dan

Hot Ptah likes this.
  15. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I like just about everything about NXNW - I particularly like Grant in this one, I love his suits and his interpretation of a guy stuck in this bizarre circumstance. I also really like the architecture of the Wright house at the end - I want to live there!

It probably isn't my favorite Hitchcock but I had to think about it for a second - it might be my favorite when I wake up tomorrow.

One real point in it's favor is that the BluRay reissue is magnificent looking - I might watch this next movie night, it has been a while.

Freedom Rider and Vidiot like this.
  16. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love it and still think it is great.

I watched it with my 18 year old daughter, who had never seen it before. She said that it seemed impossibly slow paced, so much so that she could barely stand it. She said that it seemed deliberate in the extreme, compared to all of the newly released films she has seen in the past five years.

17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That movie is like a beautiful woman in a great dress but she doesn't always make sense when she talks, but it doesn't really matter. I love this film.

18. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Among my favorite movies ever. This and Rear Window are my favorite Hitchcock movies.

19. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I say this with deepest respect: I don't understand not liking this movie. It's basically incomprehensible to me. I mean, what can one possibly want that it doesn't deliver?

This is, of course, an irrational comment -- I dislike so many movies that everyone could say the same thing about. But really. This thing is so much fun, I'm not sure I wanna hang out with a hater.

wave and smilin ed like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a famous essay from writer Ernest Lehman on all the huge plot holes and misleading moments in North by Northwest, and he and Hitchcock had a lot of laughs constructing the film. Whenever Lehman would say, "but Hitch, this makes no sense! The audience will realize the story has no logic!" And the great director would smile and say, "they'll only figure it out as they're walking back to their cars. And by then, we've already got their money!"

On the long list of things that make no sense, why send Cary Grant all the way to a Kansas cornfield to shoot him from a cropdusting plane? Why not just have a car drive by and shoot him in the head? Because the latter is not cool and suspenseful. Why try to kill Cary Grant by forcing him to drink an entire bottle of booze and then putting him behind a car? Because it's exciting.

This is just a rollercoaster ride you have to simply accept. As much as I insist on story logic, at some point you gotta roll your eyes and go with it. It's a classic.

Tell mer not to try to watch any movie made before 1980.

adm62 and guy incognito like this.
  21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I prefer pre-1980 film pacing.

It's a classic, it's great fun and I could care less about plot holes or logic in a supreme entertainment like this.

Another example is The Big Sleep, the mystery doesn't really make sense and one of the murders is never solved...but it's so amazingly entertaining that it doesn't matter.

aussievinyl and guy incognito like this.
  22. npc145

npc145 music junkie

This is my favorite movie.
    My top 10 list changes with my mood.
    This is always #1.

lbangs likes this.
  23. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I look forward to watching it with someone who hasn't seen it before. How can you not love it? Cary's in someone's hotel room and answers the phone - the baddies think (with some justification) that he's someone else. He says I'm not. They say 'then why are you answering his phone?'. Brilliant. Sorry if this reads badly, but I love the frustration of the mistaken identity thing...Cary finds it ridiculous too, so there's the humour, the tension, the action, all waiting to be explored...If you haven't seen it, I can't write too much, as there's too many good bits. OK, the United Nations...that's all I'll write.

24. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

James Mason and Leo G Carroll...how can you go wrong?

25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Like it but not top 5 hitch for me. Solid b. Crop duster scene is impeccable though and love the sexy banter between grant and Eva Marie saint

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.