Joni Mitchell nixed biopic - Taylor Swift was cast as the singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lightbulb, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Near impossible.10-15 years ago, Laura Linney could have pulled off a non-singing Joni.Quickly,before she melts into her 30s,Carey Mulligan.Ruth Wilson?They seem to disappear into roles.Any ties to AI,Voice,Disney are out.

2. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Good for her, Taylor Swift as Joni Mitchell:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

3. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Are we forgetting that Swift is infinitely more successful than Mitchell? Swift can fill stadiums across the world. We act like Taylor is not worthy of Joni Mitchell.

bluemooze and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  4. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Come back in 2050 and we'll compare notes.

5. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

So can "Take That" and "One Direction":mad::shrug:

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Depends on what you are counting as "success"... Joni has never had the kind of success to "fill stadiums across the world". However, her influence on music and other artists runs wide and deep. Taylor should hope to ever be successful in that way!

Plus I doubt that Taylor's albums like "Red" and "1989" will stand the test of time like classics like "Blue", "Court & Spark", "Hissing Of Summer Lawns", etc. It's possible, but it seems unlikely.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, if you actually read the article, Joni says:

The media has jumped on this as "Joni slams Taylor," and that may in fact be part of Joni's problem with the movie, but she pretty clearly has issues with Weller's book as well, which I read when it came out.

I know that Taylor idolizes Joni, which doesn't necessarily mean she would be good for the role, although the physical resemblance would be very close if Taylor ironed her hair.

zebop, S. P. Honeybunch and sunspot42 like this.
  8. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Point duly taken.

9. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

We're not acting....

Gasman1003 likes this.
  10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I bought that book but found the writer pompous and unreadable, really was excited about reading it but it was just unpleasant to read, like work or something.

11. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Respectful of both and not being a huge fan of either, I'm pretty positive Taylor Swift could have pulled it off without much effort. In my honest opinion, I sense Joni doesn't want to be outdone at being Joni. Also she recognizes Swift's social clumsiness which she also possesses but more privately, and doesn't want that angle to be portrayed so convincingly.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that huge ego is one of the requirements for becoming a musician in the first place!

13. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

No, synch rights are not a compulsory license. If she controls her publishing she has to approve the license.

14. That's what I meant - that if she controls her publishing, she may have refused to licence her music if she didn't approve of the casting or the script.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Taylor will never be a musical innovator like Joni, but I get the same enjoyment from her clinical dissection of her love life in her best songs ("All Too Well," "Last Kiss," "Clean") that I get from Joni's clinical dissection of her love life on Blue. There is more in common between the two than I think some grasp.

I know this story ("Joni nixes Taylor!") is a lot of fun for people here, and I will leave them to having their fun with it, but, if one truly cares about Court and Spark and Blue reaching young audiences today, I can think of worse ways to accomplish that goal than having the most popular musician in the world play Joni in a biopic that would doubtless expose hundreds of thousands of Taylor Swift fans to Court and Spark and Blue for the first time. Movies have tremendous power to do that, as we saw with the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, and many other examples. But, hey, let's keep Joni our little secret, which appears to be what will happen here.

16. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

There is less in common between the two than I think you grasp.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

She didn't seem to be able to offer insight into her entire career in all the long form interviews and documentaries I've seen with her. The authorized documentary was basically only made cohesive by Nash's comments.

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

On the up side, I just heard that Amy Adams has been cast in a film about Janis Joplin.
    Now THAT, I can get behind!

Tex_Writer likes this.
  19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Taylor and Carly Simon are friends, so maybe they could cast Taylor as Carly, and find somebody else to play Joni and Carole (let's not forget that the original book, which I read, was about three artists, not just about Joni). As a fan of all three artists, I'd like to see this movie, with or without Taylor in it, although I do think Taylor would be perfect for the Joni role.

ralph7109 likes this.
  20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Maybe go back in time and have a young Gwyneth Paltrow do this?

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

She is not a smoker

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I believe I read that, on Mad Men, with all of its constant scenes of smoking, they're smoking fake cigarettes. I think this is par for the course in Hollywood these days. Anyway, seeing Joni chain-smoke on screen is not the main reason I would be interested in seeing this movie, and it wouldn't bother me if they omitted that period "detail" altogether.

23. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Taylor = Joni, Miley = Carli

Driver 8 likes this.
  24. 905

905 Senior Member

Nostalgic middle age millennial vs. nostalgic dead boomer... I think I'll pick Taylor on that one.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Joni - Taylor

Carly - Emma Stone

Carole - ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.