Prince takes his ball and goes home

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

And yet, here you are, in a Prince thread. Congrats!

2. sami

sami Mono still rules

I haven't cared about Prince in almost 30 years, but good for him.

3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

he is still brilliant but like michael jackson his drama smothers his talents. i fear he took his ball and went home due to the poor sales of his two new releases.
    guess the internet caused that so might as well punish the internet (twitter/facebook).
    but anyone who has seen him live recently will attest that he has lost none of his skill set or innovation.

bleachershane likes this.
  4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Judging by the tone of the first post it seems to me that this is a Prince bashing thread. With that in mind the post by "The Trinity" is right in line with the OP's intent.

5. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

He sold out Madison Square Garden in NYC, and the audience wasn't a bunch of kids, and I've read that he also sold out many other venues in the US. May be hard to believe, but it's a fact.

6. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

But you care enough to post about him...

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

SoporJoe may have meant non-adults but left out a word. Maybe he'll let us know.

8. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The OP has an axe to grind with Prince over another issue.

wolfram likes this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

He needs to over it.

wolfram likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Did you read the links? The reporter from the Daily Mirror was forbidden from having a camera, recorder or phone. If you're going to be such a pain to the people who are trying to help you, eventually they're going to stop trying.

He's refusing to sell his music via iTunes. Maybe his older fans may buy his CDs via Amazon - good luck even finding a record store - but as far as retaining any relevance anyone under 30, he's King Canute ordering the sea back.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  11. Chris DeVoe

Prince has earned my disdain.

12. noname74

Right....by enforcing copyright laws on you and your videos of his songs. What a nasty nasty man for making you follow the law.

Scott222C likes this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

No way! Deleting Twitter and Facebook? The man is obviously completely insane and out of touch with reality!

;)

markbrow and Diamond Dog like this.
  14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    "Hmmm...how does this affect me?"

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  15. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

That's true, and thanks. Just wanted to see what the little mutant was up to.

bleachershane and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

If you'd bother to look up the original posts, I never claimed to own the copyright on any of his or any of the cover versions. 99% of all artists on make the claim and get free ads for their product next to my videos on YouTube. Led Zeppelin, on a few of their songs, mutes the audio. Only Prince issues DMCA takedown notices against cover songs. He did two in one night against me - if I had received a third one, I would have lost every single video I have up including hundreds by other artists who like and benefited from the cover versions. Basically, he would be stealing from all those other artists.

There is what the law allows you to do, and there is what is right. Shakespere wrote about this in The Merchant of Venice. Prince got his pound of flesh, and it will benefit him not.

Meanwhile, in the sane world, The Violent Femmes and Amanda Palmer linked to two of my videos on their Facebook pages.

Timjosephuk and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

LEAVE HIS ROYAL BADNESS ALONE!!

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

He just forgot to add "to me." "The internet is dead . . . to me." :)

I sort of wish the internet were dying. I'm ready for a post-internet life.

19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Did you seek his permission before posting the videos? If not, you're wide open for anyone to enforce their rights.
    If his DMCA takedowns resulted in your channel being closed, how does that equate to Prince stealing from other artists? He's enforcing his rights to his copyrighted work . You decided to use his work without permission.

20. noname74

You are acting as if this is something personal and Prince is going after YOU...it's not personal at all...he's been like that forever and he probably always will be. I know you (and probably many others here) think that School Of Rock is cool and how could grumpy ole Prince tell you to take it down but I doubt he even realizes or cares its SOR...it was someone playing his songs and he doesn't allow it. Period. It doesn't matter if it's some guy in his bedroom singing a prince tune or a full fledged SOR production....he doesn't allow it. You need to take your emotions out of it.

bleachershane, Scott222C and ganma like this.
  21. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Oh no, did he change his name again? The Price formerly known as Prince. ;)

bleachershane and Dudley Morris like this.
  22. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

OK, I fixed it:)

23. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I'm thinking.. 'does this dude REALLY think that?'. My 14 yr old wouldn't even twist things that far.

24. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

The only reason I even opened this thread (nervously) was to see if the thread title of "Prince takes his ball and goes home" referred to some breaking news that the previously announced WB reissue/remaster deal somehow just went sour and the Purple Rain Deluxe Edition or box or whatever it turns out to be is cancelled, along with any other 80s era vault projects.

Thankfully, that wasn't the case, and not only do I not care what this thread really IS about, I don't care enough to even bother clicking on/reading the link to find out.

Mr. H and markbrow like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Again, only Prince, out of literally hundreds of his peers, has chosen to engage in such a pointless, vicious, and ultimately self-destructive approach.

Did you read what I said? OK, here is is as bullet points:
    • I post cover version of artist's song
    • YouTube's Content ID system tags the song as a copyrighted work
    • I agree that yes, it is a copyrighted work
    • YouTube places an ad for the original next to my video
    • Profit! (for the original artist)
    If Prince had succeeded in deleting the hundreds of other videos on my channel as "collateral damage" in his war against covers, every single one of the artists who had ads next to those covers would have lost. It's a simple fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.