ABBA: The Studio Albums (8 vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by footstomper, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Diverse Vinyl have lazily reproduced their old page for the 2010 box set hence confusion. Correct picture and description on Amazon UK. These are just a repress of the individual B to B titles some of which are now sold out. Sound quality is excellent on these. Played one side of Arrival last night which put the SQ of the LZ reissues into perspective.

3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

This is simply wrong information, Mr. Footstomper. The text you've posted was for the 2010 box, the new box set contains the 8 regular albums only.

4. sathvyre

"...mastering isn’t confirmed (although it’s reasonable to assume the latest digital versions available will be utilised) and it is not clear if a MP3 download card is included, although this is highly likely..."

So I suspect that they maybe compiled a new side a master for "The Album". I would be very greatful if any forum member who bought the box could write a short review (soundwise) of that album.

5. Classicrock

If these are same as B to B individual and 2010 mastering they are AAA. I played Arrival last night just to get a feel of the SQ and it's got that breath of life you get from AAA vinyl. I also have originals of several titles to compare. So unless they have made a backwards step ( and why would they remaster them again in a 3-4 year period?) I am going to say they are likely AAA. At least if the ones I have are digitally processed you can't tell. At £100 on Amazon UK they are good value as the individual albums sold at £15 - £20 a disc. Original sound and mix as far as I can tell.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'm still trying to figure out what distortion Sathvyre speaks of, Zero on my 2010 side one, if he gives me a song I can post a sample of the ND I did of it, Maybe it's so subtle I'm missing it :shrug:

7. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

I guess i know what he means. I also listen to Side 1 too a few minutes ago. On my Thorens TD 160 with Shure 97xe there is a distortion (i played it very loud) on the the end of the last track (The Name of The Game) in the big chorus. I guess this has nothing to do with the recording or mastering, more with the close situation of the needle to the inner groove (this side has only a very small run out groove. This Side is cut very full.
    So i guess (in this song) it is inner groove distortion and a typical record/turntable "problem".
    A problem you not have with digital files.
    As far as i know this can also be differ from the individual cartridge/needle/turntable setup of the listener.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    c-eling likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Either you guys have a bad copy (as in the LZ HOTH debacle) or your cartridge alignment / stylus condition needs attention. I use pretty expensive MC cartridges these days but even in the past with considerably lesser front ends I have not found IGD a problem except on a damaged disc. You shouldn't get IGD with something even as modest as an AT95.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

It's hard to explain, but the 'album master' is more compressed than the 'single version' master - on the former there is a 'fizziness' or 'glassy-ness' in the top end, especially noticeable in the last two choruses when the track gets 'big' - on the single version (and the version they used on the UK Reader's digest box set) it's the same mix (I'm assuming) but it sounds quite different - because it is less compressed the vocals don't go 'glassy' and the percussion is more pronounced - so as Sathvyre says, if they recompiled the side A master with the better version of Name of The Game, it would be an improvement, however, I've not heard the newer vinyl edition so I can't comment on the sound quality.

sathvyre and c-eling like this.
  10. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

If you see my post above, I don't think it's an IGD issue, however, Name of the Game is the last track on side A of The Album, and The UK Reader's Digest version has the advantage of being the first track on that side of the compilation - however, the 'distortion' that Sathvyre refers to is on the early CD version also.

11. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. Classicrock

I refer you to my earlier post below.

13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks JP for the the details, appreciated! :)

14. sathvyre

Still no info about "The Album" from the new box set ?

15. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

What about the Visitors? Is it the same as on Visitors DE?

16. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

No more info about sound quality?

17. I have the 2014 box set. I only have CD versions to compare it to (the early, non-remasterd CD's, and for the early albums also the Swedish Polar CD's). I like the viny versions better.

A few of my discs had some problems, like a bad pop/click in a quiet section, and something what sounded like non-fill in another spot. 3 or 4 albums had these flaws, so I needed a second set to compile one that is fine. Execpt for "Super Trouper" I had two copies, one with an issue on side 1, and the other with an issue on side 2. Amazon let me keep both versions for this album, so that I have two perfect playing sides. I would have preferred one copy of this album without any issues, but I didn't want to send everything back.

Buying new vinyl these days seems like a real gamble. I feel like at least 50% of the new records I get have some kind of issue. Warped records, off-Center holes, or some pressing/manufacturing flaws like scratches, non-fill, clicks and pops that repeat several times, etc.

I am curious how these new versions compare to the 2010/2011 vinyl releases.

18. sathvyre

Still no info about "The Album" and the tracks for side A ????

19. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

According to Universal in Sweden it’s the British part of Universal that has made this release and Mia at Universal in Sweden thought the new release is based on the same source as the “Vinyl collection”.

20. sathvyre

Thank you for information. So there is no need to check the new vinyl editions, as I own the "Vinyl Collection" box set.

21. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

Universal Sweden were not totally sure. There is of course the possibility to call Universal in England and ask.
    http://www.umusic.co.uk/who-we-are/contact-us
    "For specific product information please contact the Information Centre at our distributor in Milton Keynes on 0845 250 0965."

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I just ordered the box from Amazon. Question: is there a good vinyl compilation(s) that has the non-album singles? I only have The Complete Studio Recordings (2005) CD box and there are *a lot* of songs not on the original LPs.

23. sathvyre

Unfortunately there is no vinyl compilation out there with all non-LP tracks. Would be a nice double-LP set with a playing time of around 90 minutes. Maybe Universal will hear our cries ???
    To get all non-LP tracks, you have to buy some 7" records and compilation albums like "ABBA Gold", "More ABBA Gold", "The Singles 1972-1982". I would really appreciate a double LP with all non-LP tracks and I am sure it would sell well.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. sathvyre

Here is a list:

- Merry-Go-Round
    - Santa Rosa
    - Ah Vilka Tider
    - Crazy World
    - Medley (Pick A Bale Of Cotton / On Top Of Old Smokey / Midnight Special)
    - Fernando
    - Happy Hawaii
    - Summer Night City (Full Version)
    - Lovelight
    - Gimme Gimme Gimme
    - Dream World
    - Elaine
    - Put On Your White Sombrero
    - Should I Laugh Or Cry
    - The Day Before You Came
    - Cassandra
    - Under Attack
    - You Owe Me one
    - I Am The City

19 tracks in total - and I left out all alternative mixes, foreign language versions, single edits and live b-sides etc...
    A 20 track double album would be nice...with "Just Like That" as the cream on the cake ;)

Shak Cohen likes this.
  25. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

There's always the 40 Singles boxset. Highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.