Small floorstanding speakers for rock and metal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deniall, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I owned the Martin Logan EM-ESL yoked to Parasound amp and pre. They did a few things very well and a few others not as well as I liked. Kept them a year then sold when I moved from the living room to a smallish bedroom. I previously owned the "Purity" and the "Source" and without hesitation I would go back to the "Purity" if my listening space allowed. The Rega RS3 is a more satisfying all around experience in my opinion.

2. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

The Golden Ear Triton 7's are easy to drive, go deep to 29hz, and can pound hard rock with ease. At $1400 a pair, they are a great value.

3. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

Zu Omens

betweentheears likes this.
  4. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

I love Vandersteens, but they wouldn't necessarily fall into the "small" category. Richard's products always sound about twice as expensive as they sound. Great value. You'd be looking at the 2CE Signature II.

www.vandersteen.com

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I just went the opposite direction from a pair of Focal floor standers to Dynaudio Excite X16 monitors. I have to say I really like the Dynaudio line though I know there are many other fine choices. This is my fourth pair of Dynaudio having owned the X12, X32 and Chorus 240 before. I'm realizing for my needs and tastes these days that monitors fit the bill but having owned Monitor, Paradigm, Focal and B&W floor stand speakers I don't think you can go wrong with the quality of build and sound of those Dynaudio.

6. The Dunster

The Dunster Forum Resident

What amp are you running with the Dynaudios Excite X16 monitors ?

7. moops

moops Senior Member

8. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

+1

9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

If I were looking to spend about $3,000 on speakers, I would buy the Klipsch RF-7 II new. They are $1600 each from Klipsch.com. Perhaps you can get them cheaper elsewhere; I don't know as I haven't looked around in a while. You really do not need a sub with these speakers, IMO, so in that sense they would not be "small." But if you wanted to treat them as small speakers you could of course pair them up with a sub. Only two finishes available, but who needs anything other than black or cherry? :)

http://selector.klipsch.com/?s=1&s=3&s=23&s=25

motorcitydave likes this.
  10. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I know this is probably a newb question, but how does using a subwoofer on an integrated amp (one that doesn't have a dedicated LFE output or crossover control) take the load off the main speakers and amplifier? How does the amp "know" that there's a subwoofer present? I'm doing this with an older Sony receiver, sending the speaker output to the main speakers and the sub's high-level inputs using 2 pieces of wire for each channel, then using the sub's crossover and volume control to tweak. But how does this relieve the load on my main speakers? Aren't they still getting sent the full frequency range?

The 5.1 channel AVR that I use in the basement for movies has a dedicated LFE output and bass management controls, so that seems obvious. But as far as I can tell the OP's integrated amp (Rega Brio-R) doesn't have this.

What am I missing?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  11. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm going to have to call bullschitt on this statement.:D

gingerly likes this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I demoed them in Lake Grove LI and I wasn't completely convinced.

13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Go with a Sub that has speaker level inputs.

DannyC likes this.
  14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

If I had $3000 I'd buy the Triton 2. No need ever for sub.

John K.

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I haven't heard it, but it clearly has a huge range. Regardless, I agree with you generally, get something with a wide range and forget about the sub. No need for excess bass.

[​IMG]

16. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

In fact I wouldnt go with any other method for Hi Fi.. You dont really want the amp adding yet another stage of filtering.. You need Hi inputs on the Sub

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm running a Bel Canto C5i integrated. It drives them easily.

18. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

That's what I'm doing (as I said in my post) but my question was in reference to someone saying this method reduces load on the amp and main speakers. Hoe does it do that?

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I am a proponent of the REL method of speaker level connections. I like to use a piece of Canare 4s8 and taking the signal from the amplifier speaker taps right into the line level connections on the Sub. Run your regular speaker wires just as you would if the Sub wasn't there.

20. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

I cant see how it can reduce the load.. It shouldn't present any extra load though is that what they meant.

Ntotrar..If you have the inputs on the sub nothing to stop you doing both using the line in on the sub and the neutrik (Rels and MJAcoustics will allow this) and you can fine tune each input

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I was referring to adding a Sub to a two channel set. Most don't have a line out for a Sub. I use LFE only on surround sound installs. For stereo I prefer the REL configuration as above. And you are correct you can have both.

22. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

I have an advantage being a reviewer in that I get to hear a wide variety of equipment in my home connected to my gear. I know where the sweet spots exist in each room. Most audio shops listening rooms are mediocre at best, especially for budget gear.

23. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

24. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I think it is very difficult to get an all-in-one set up that works well in your price range. My speaker set up is a little more than your price range, but not hugely so. I use Gallo monitors and a Gallo subwoofer, with Mapleshade upgrades. The Gallo monitors come on stands that are just a few inches off the ground and angle to the speakers upwards. I think they sound great. But the caveat is that I only listen to classical, jazz, and voice. So I don't know how well they will work for your kind of music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.