Special Priced 100 SHM-SACD Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Awesome, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Not sure about your numbers, to me it looks like $100 = 3 (not5 ) shm sacds = 10,500yen which would entitle you to an extra 1,000yen bonus points for spending above 10,000 yen (on top of regular points of 1,050yen)

600yen bonus points apply for spending between 5,000-9,999yen (only 1-2 shm sacds).

Still a good deal if you buy in batches of 3, I should be getting 2,050yen bonus points for spending 10,500yen (20% bonus) which i'll put towards another order later

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Which form of shipping did you use?
    I contacted cdjapan about that and they replied the reissued SHM-SACDs are from the same masterings from the original SHM-SACDs not the new mastering.

Bill

Plan9 likes this.
  3. I have the SHM-SACD and though opinions vary, whatever the source of the tape used for this (and the encore edition being discussed), it's a tremendous sounding SACD. It's definitve as far as I'm concerned.

eelkiller likes this.
  4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

My wife tells me that my order just arrived. I can't wait to get home now.

PROG U.K. and eelkiller like this.
  5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Mastering of Communiqué 2014 SHM-SACD reissue & 2014 Pt/non-Pt SHM-CD is exactly the same (unlike 2013 Pt/non-Pt SHM-CDs of Dire Straits & Love Over Gold)...

Plan9 likes this.
  6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is the earliest date SAL deliveries show up. :D

Enjoy your discs guys, glad these are out again for those who missed out.

7. athfdrizzle

athfdrizzle Member

Nope. I believe they are the same masterings from the first releases of these in mini-lps from 2012.

8. So was anything lost in the switch from their original mini-LP versions? Anyone crazy enough to have ordered the same SHM-SACD again with this new line of reissues?

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I am crazy enough, but have some miniLPs sold. Don't like to handle them.

10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

This is interesting. This newly-(re)released Marvin Gaye SHM-SACD, per the obi strip, contains MoFi's remastering. If someone has the MoFi hybrid and the SHM-SACD, that person can answer the age-old question: Does SHM contribute to SQ?

[​IMG]

vonwegen and john greenwood like this.

11. The initial release of the SHM-SACD also uses the 2008 MoFi remastering. So it's apparent these are all the same versions from the first series over the past few years, only the packaging is different.

I have this and the MoFi version, I prefer the SHM-SACD over the hybrid. Same for the Stones comparison from the ABKCO hybrids. The sound to me is slightly warmer without any ear fatigue. Is it the SHM? It may be, there isn't any other logical explanation. That's my perspective on the age old question does SHM add sound quality to the mix?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    vonwegen and SteelyTom like this.
  12. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

One of the reviewers over at sa-cd.net strongly preferred the SHM-SACD version, too, mostly on account of fuller, warmer bass.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. Absolutely true.

SteelyTom likes this.
  14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Platinum SHM-CD is a much better mastering than the MFSL SACD/SHM-SACD and includes mono bonus tracks as well.

fredblue and zappaien like this.
  15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

There is a cheap sampler available for that comparison

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6687

SteelyTom likes this.
  16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

IYO.

One member here at SHF said the opposite; he much prefer the SHM-SACD over the Platinum SHM-CD.
    He also prefered the SHM-SACD over the hybrid SACD.

jsayers and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  17. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

I prefered the platinum shm cd mastering. No doubt on that. MOFI sacd is fine tho, but the plat is better

fredblue likes this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm glad to hear that these discs come in jewel cases. Blind Faith and Quadrophenia are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

19. Just curious, do you actually own the SHM SACD version?

20. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes.
    But I do not own the Platinum CD.

21. I was asking zappaien who was suggesting that the platinum is better then the MoFi. As I wrote, I don't think that Mofi is as warm or responsive as the SHM SACD even though it's the same source. I have heard the platinum SHM -CD version and it doesn't come close to the SHM-SACD in my opinion. Not even close. The tape sources are similar sounding but one is high resolution and the other is redbook CD. I know this is a matter of opinion, but for my money most of the SHM-SACD in this series are simply better sounding then any redbook versions including the few that were re-released with a different tape source for the SHM-CD's, and this included the platinum SHM CD's too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    SteelyTom likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

On which apparently the SHM tracks were tweaked to sound different. Or was it a previous sampler?
    At least it happened once that the discs in their "comparison sampler" were in fact NOT digitally identical.

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I have this sampler. There is no tweaking done.

The hybrid SACD sampler sounds like the original MoFi hybrid SACD (Marvin Gaye)
    The SHM-SACD sampler sounds like the full version album on SHM-SACD (Marvin Gaye)

24. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Sorry, did not see it.

As with Marvin Gaye and all others SACD album I have both on SHM-SACD and hybrid SACD with the same DSD mastering, the SHM version is always a bit better, as I hear it. More responsive, it's like listening deeper into the source.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I meant that, in the past, on all the tracks of one of these samplers, they actually added some mastering on the SHM versions to make them sound different or better compared to the standard disc. It has been verified with EAC and spectrograms. It might have been their first sampler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.