Dennis DeYoung, please give up the Mr. Roboto Dance at your age

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murphy13, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Always wondered about that, it looks very "carpet" like.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. I thought it was Bob Eubanks.

Whomever it was: very lame.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I gotcha...

4. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

The touring Styx band is brutal. The singer singing Dennis songs is terrible and that silly keyboard that he keeps spinning around throughout the concert is so silly. Just totally embarrassing. A good circus act at best.

Scott B

5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Maybe Styx should require their Dennis DeYoung clone to have whipped cream hair.:p

intv7 and EasterEverywhere like this.
  6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I've seen and enjoyed both DeYoung solo and the current Styx...but I also figure that if you're gonna have a preening, overly dramatic guy singing "Lady", why not get the guy who wrote it?

Mark_TB, misko, Coricama and 3 others like this.
  7. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I mentioned recently I was going to see Styx and the first thing he mentions is "Roboto". Told him, is that all you can think about when it comes to Styx? The song sucks and the vocalist isn't in the band anymore. SOOOOO glad the current lineup doesn't do that live anymore.

Shame Dennis is selling his band short. I don't call a band that had the success they had between Grand Illusion and Kilroy a middle tier band. I just watched the video and don't know what was more painful - seeing DDY do the song or those two pathetic Tommy/JY clones. Still can't believe Shaw gave him the OK to do some of his songs.

8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Probably not as JY went out of his way really constantly bash Dennis and refers to him as their ex-keyboard player. That alone just sums up what a jerk JY is and he has no class. At least throughout this whole thing Dennis has been a gentlemen.

Scott B

9. Glenn Christense

I pitched out my Illinois Entertainer with his interview, but it's a freebie paper that we may still have at work . If so, I'll try to post his relevant quotes on Friday. It was something on the order of Dennis mentioning Styx along with Journey and maybe REO as bands not considered arty, just hard working commercial bands or something on that order.

10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I just couldn't handle the new keyboard players vocals. I cringed on Lady. It was brutal. Gowan sounds better on non Dennis stuff.

Scott B

11. Glenn Christense

It strikes me funny that I have information about the two factions considering I don't care for the band at all, but I'll read interviews with pretty much any musicians...:p

P.S. Here's the relevant quotes I was trying to recall. Tommy Shaw in Rolling Stone:

For the past 10 years Styx fans have been hoping and praying that former frontman Dennis DeYoung and the rest of the band will put aside their differences and reunite. According to Styx guitarist and vocalist Tommy Shaw – who hasn't performed with DeYoung since a highly acrimonious split in 1999 – that just isn't going to happen.

"I don't think [a reunion] is realistic," Shaw tells Rolling Stone. "We tried it in 1996 and we realized what was true in 1983 was only more true in 1996. We'd just gone our separate ways. Rather than having a positive effect on each other, we have a very negative effect on each other. You only live once and you should be happy."

So is a reunion with DeYoung just completely out of the question? "We already did it," says Shaw. "In retrospect, we weren't even happy working with each other in our heyday. We're just different people with different desires and different vision of how things should be. God, it was such an unhappy place. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We're crazy, but we're not insane."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...rontman-dennis-deyoung-20110707#ixzz3KF2A8Lq0

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Brudy, Slokes, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  12. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Lady still stands as an incredible tune (always enjoyed the musicality of the bass line with the piano accompaniment), but I'm in the minority in that I prefer the original version over the one re-recorded for the greatest hits album in 1997.

13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Those guys sure look like J.Y. Young and Tommy Shaw.

"Ladies and gentleman, Dennis DeYoung and Sticks!"

14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I am a big Styx fan and especially a Dennis DeYoung fan. For me, the dude can do whatever makes him happy - he has earned it. Hope he makes a new album next year with his touring band.

Pat

utopiarun and Prophetzong like this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I was embarrassed just to be watching it.

16. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Wow after all the buildup from the thread I finally watched it, and didn't think it was half bad at all! Just goes to show you about expectations -

17. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Saw Dennis Deyoung without Styx many times. Always puts on a great show and still can sing. Dennis is Styx.

Shaw and JY. I don't ever plan on seeing there band masquerading as " Styx ".

18. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

To be fair- the current tour is billed as "Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx", so the band "looking" like Young and Shaw isn't totally inappropriate- it's almost a tribute band show, with the bands lead singer. Didn't sound that bad to me, don't know why people always ding singers for the sad effects of aging like losing some of their voice or hair. Happens to a lot of people, and doesn't make you less of a person, while commentary along those lines will out you as considerably shallow. Personally, I would prefer a Styx with DeYoung in it rather than Gowan, and I think the majority of fans would agree. As always, money and egos play a role in the situation between the band and DeYoung. I think all 3 parties are delusional in thinking that they are better off without each other. And there will be, as some point, "The Grand CashIn", when Shaw, Young, Panozzo and DeYoung magically erase all their differences, get back together for "one last tour" and hit the road with new music to play.

ian christopher likes this.
  19. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

For the record, I saw Tommy Shaw open up for the Kinks in 1984. He was forgettable. Luckily Kinks were spectacular.

20. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Ag
    agreed.....

Dennis has absolutely zero to lose. He was a total dork even back when he was "cool"

Embarrassing or not, Mr Roboto was a #1 hit for no short time until Every Breath You Take managed to finally knock it down a number ..... Not so embarrassing at all.

davers likes this.
  21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Or at least a similar facsimile to styx is touring.

Much as I didn't care for mr Roboto, every artist has a piece of music that wasn't exactly a shining moment.

I am glad the man who was the brains behind Styx is out there keeping the legacy alive.

Scottb, zebop and ian christopher like this.
  22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Me either. Without Dennis DeYoung, there's no point for me.

dlank and Scottb like this.
  23. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I never knew Dick Van Dyke could sing that well.

24. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I've saw the original Styx on there last 3 tours (Cornerstone, Paradise, and Kilroy, the stadium shows) and I saw the reunion Return to Paradise tour. I have only seen the seperate bands on dvd or teleivison. I can only say "good for them, for being able to make a living". IMO Tommy and J.Y. get to "Keep Rockin'" but they play a lot of "album cuts" in favor of "the hits" they don't like. As for Dennis DeYoung, from the first time I saw him with Styx, he was always the guy "with the batton you can't see", he ALLWAYS marched acrross the stage, and is the stiffest guy in rock n'roll, that's just Dennis De Young. From the last time I was him his voice seem solid, not that it didn't age.

Neither band is the the band they once were (especialy sence the passing of John Panozzo). But both bands, do what they do, the best that they can , in the bands they are in. The people don't get along, and their not getting back together. Our loss.

kevywevy likes this.
  25. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

If he can still sell tickets more power to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.