Digital Music Files Can Sound Better Than Analogue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Om, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music Thread Starter

I've noticed a lot of audiophiles bashing formats like AAC, MP3, even CD quality. Music Players like Pono and websites like HD audio is all the rage. Something that came to mind, an epiphany if you will. Now don't get me wrong, I still love recording on good old tape but when it comes to playback, anologue is prone to sound change over time as it degrades. I've come to realize its near impossible to tell the difference in resolution past CD quality. The mastering done over in the studio plays a major role in sound quality. What it truly is, is the mastering habits of engineers in the business and its nothing new. My friends it's called as you probably know, "The Loudness Wars". If a recording is pushed to its limits with no room to breath it's going to lack fidelity. The only reason digital is said to be better than analogue is their is a limit with how loud an anologue recording can be pushed. So yes the loudness wars did exist with vinyl but it wasn't as bad. When digital started to become mainstream engineers realized they could push the loudness limits far beyond what they could before. I understand that 24 bit audio is the standard in the music industry. The final product is great. Not until the engineers master it to CD does it seem to be destroyed. That isn't to say CD's ain't capable of producing great fidelity. You'll see in the CD's early years let's say the 80's to the early 90's softer sound but you can find some really ear melting stuff. It wasn't until the late 90's when the loudness started to pick up. To my point, if CD's or AAC files were mastered with sound quality in mind they can sound great.

Now, the problem I have with the so called HD sound market is higher resolution does not guarantee a good mastering. A lot of people wish HD Sound marketplaces added a dynamic range database number so you know the quality before you buy.

Here's a statement made by the man who mixed Taylor Swift's Fearless, Speak Now, & Red.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb11/articles/it-0211.htm

Here's also a great video that goes into the whole subject:

Now, I know the loudness wars have been covered on this forum before but I specifically wanted to say that in my opinion instead of worrying about the resolution of digital music we should worry about the mastering.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

DR.J and Dave like this.
  3. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Could I just add a little "aside"? The analogue/digital debate will rumble on till the cows come home...especially the "hi-res" issue....many say the average ear cannot differentiate between red book and hi-res: perhaps not. I use both formats and greatly enjoy both,but with regard to "hi-res",there is one thing I have not seen mentioned yet,the facility to "snap" tunes into focus(if that makes sense). As an example,play a well known track such as "Heard it through the Grapevine"....nothing wrong with the vinyl original,nothing wrong the c.d issue,both equally enjoyable....play the same track via hi-res and the drums become somehow more prevalent,almost the focal point,adding a new dimension to the way you listen to an old favourite.
    Not very good at expressing things,but hopefully someone will get my drift!

4. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Really? I must have missed it... ;)

tim185 likes this.
  5. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

How many times and different forms can we have this debate? Is there some new revelatory discovery that has changed the debate since.....yesterday??

Billy Infinity, quicksrt and Grant like this.
  6. Om

I'm not debating the loudness wars, that's a fact. Just saying resolution is not nearly as important as we're making it out to be. It's hard to tell the difference between a 320kpbs AAC or a 24 bit FLAC. Not many own the equipment to hear the difference. You don't need hifi equipment to tell a good mastering from a bad one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Om

I bet you can hear a difference in the drums. Higher res audio really only improves the higher frequencies such as drums & bass. I'm guessing your not using ipod earbuds haha!

8. Om

A well mastered 128kbps AAC will sound better to the ear than a badly mastered 24 bit FLAC. The fact that theirs no garuentee to what your getting anywhere makes it a risk paying a premium for so called "hifi" audio. It could be a hit or a miss. The debate I'm trying to spark here is weather Higher Res audio past CD quality is worth it. In my opinion not really.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  9. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Regardless of which is better, or whether we can hear the difference or not, I'm more than willing to support high-resolution audio in the hope that it will eventually result in a full-scale re-evaluation of sound reproduction and a sincere attempt at aiming for best possible results in all fronts, including mastering practices.

Om likes this.
  10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Mastered for ITunes is very often better than cd or LP.
    Perhaps their hi res files will be even better

Tommy SB, Master_It_Right and Om like this.
  11. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

The title of this thread and subject of the OP are not the same.

Om likes this.
  12. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

I was just wondering this the other day and now I know for sure. Thanks for letting me know.

13. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Sounds like a bunch of bullsky to me.

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This whole bloodless, abstract discussion has been exhausted. It's become like a crazy-making crossword puzzle no one can ever finish, with anger sauce poured on top.

The only truly worthwhile thing to talk about in this realm are individual releases, in whatever format, and how they sound.

15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Since Digital is a sample of a particular Analog signal, it CANNOT ever be "better" than the Analog signal that Fathered it.

Joshua277456 and Stuart S like this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed.

17. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

So this was your epiphany?

Thanks for the lulz.

18. Aren't the drums and bass at low frequencies?

19. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I didn't see where he said digital is better than the original analog signal. He's talking about digital storage and playback as opposed to analog storage and playback.

20. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Uggh. Why does this even matter? Pick your format and enjoy your music.

21. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Can't paint with a broad brush. An album can sound better on one format than another for very specific reasons usually having nothing to do with the delivery format.

Randy Tater and saundr00 like this.
  22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Well, at least no-one has mentioned the Beatles so far.
    Oops!

Grissongs likes this.
  23. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm really glad that this subject has finally been brought up.

24. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Here, here.

I am burning with curiosity to find out what the consensus is going to be about which format is the best.

I know that for my own use case it is settled - high resolution and analog at home, low resolution and streaming when on the go, but maybe there is some other there there. :winkgrin:

Raylinds likes this.
  25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

o_O

Apologies to the OP - this very topic has been discussed 8,222 times on this forum. Each and every one has proved that there is not a clear consensus, and there will never, ever be one. And each thread has died a slow and miserable death as each 'side' rties to convince the other side that they are wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.