Fans of Dean Ford and The Marmalade should hear this!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ben_wood, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space Thread Starter

Just found this YouTube video of Dean Ford of The Marmalade with a remake of their hit "Reflections of My Life". A truly wonderful version of a great song.

2. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Very nice job. Dean's voice has held up well.

ben_wood and melstapler like this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This is excellent! Is Dean still based in the U.S.? According to The Marmalade wiki:

"he was living in the US. Having retired from the music industry, he settled in Los Angeles (after a brief spell in New York) and worked as a limo driver. He has recently become active in music again and released a single called "Glasgow Road" with Joe Tansin (ex- Badfinger) in 2012. Pat Fairley now has his own bar called Scotland Yard, also situated in Los Angeles."

"With the departure of Graham Knight in September 2010, there are now no original Marmalade members remaining in the band."

I wish that Dean and Pat could reclaim the band name and do some summer touring, perhaps with the "Happy Together" package tour.

4. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

My first real exposure to the Marmalade was a greatest hits CD that I discovered was actually re-recordings of their hits. Funnily enough, when I eventually tracked down the originals, I found I preferred some of the remakes.

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  5. melstapler

Was Dean featured as the lead vocalist on the Marmalade re-recording? I would rather hear him than the current lineup of the band, which contains no original members.

ben_wood likes this.
  6. My Opinion

My Opinion New Member

I am new to this Forum hence no photo, however I did not want the opportunity to pass without sharing "my opinion".

I have been a big fan of Dean Ford since I first heard Reflections of my Life, back in 1970. To read he has retired from music is a sad loss to the world. His vocals were/are pure and beautiful to listen to. Reflections of my life is one of my favourite songs of all time and then coming across the newer version I thought he had nailed the perfect rerelease.

Truly a reflection of man who has experienced life at all levels. This is a measured and harmonious version that actually sounds like a man reflecting. Fate can be harsh and one would have liked to think Dean Ford finished his career on top, however it seems he has had to fight many battles and perhaps the financial rewards and recognition have eluded him, I hope he finds the will to keep going. His voice (and experience) should be shared for as long as possible.

I was born one day before him and I would love to meet him somewhere somehow. Thank for your music. I listen to you at least every week.

melstapler and ben_wood like this.
  7. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space Thread Starter

Would like to buy this remake. Does anyone know where it can be found?

melstapler likes this.
  8. dorrie-anne

dorrie-anne New Member

Hi everyone, I saw these posts and just wanted to let you know that Dean Ford is in the process of recording a new cd via the Pledge Music site and also will be re-releasing a remastered cd of his 1975 solo album. For more info please take a look at Dean's Facebook page : Marmalade/Dean Ford - Singer Song writer. His voice is still as beautiful as ever. I like Ben became interested when I saw that beautiful re-recording of Reflections, and Glasgow Road. Please help to spread the word! Glad to have some more fellow original Marmalade fans

melstapler and ben_wood like this.
  9. melstapler

Thanks dorrie-anne, very exciting news indeed! Is there any chance that Dean Ford and the other available surviving members of the original Marmalade could reclaim the name and tour? Or perhaps he could tour as Marmalade featuring Dean Ford? I would love to see Dean Ford touring with a full band, perhaps as part of a package tour such as Flo & Eddie's "Happy Together" tour.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    ben_wood likes this.
  10. dorrie=anne

dorrie=anne New Member

Hi, Dean has now finished his new album "Feel my Heartbeat" and there are some lovely songs on there. I think he is hoping to do some small concerts in the US. xx

11. dorrie=anne

dorrie=anne New Member

Hi, Dean has just finished a new album callaed "Feel my Heartbeat" and its available via the Pledge Music site. It's a beautiful cd with all songs written by Dean. He has a facebook page also where you can catch up on news about him xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.