Finally - The Stand

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Humbuster, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I think they make franchise films better now than what they did with made-for-tv series 20 years ago, so I'm in.

I know King considers the Dark Tower series to be his definitive work, but to me it's The Stand that was his masterpiece.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Okay you sing it for me.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Somebody should use the few lyrical quotes King had in the book as the basis and actually write, produce and perform the "Baby, Can You Dig Your Man?" song. It'd only make sense for the soundtrack, at least...although I must admit for the life of me I've never quite been able to figure out exactly what kind of song it's supposed to be. The title makes it sound like some kinda Barry White/R & B thing, yet Larry Underwood in the novel is presented as yer typical L.A. soft rock/pop kinda guy (Neil Diamond was going to record the song, after all). Still, somebody out there ought to finish the damn thing off and record it.

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

from the YouTube description:
    Larry Underwood's hit single from Stephen King's The Stand - Baby, can you dig your man?
    For those of you looking for a 'full' version of this song. There is none. This video contains all there ever was, a short clip.
    It was never released on the soundtrack or by it's 'real' composer & artist: Al Kooper.

From Larry Underwood's forthcoming album "Pocket Savior"

5. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

He's a righteous man....:)

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Remurmur

:D

7. Remurmur

I think your three movie idea definitely "has legs" but apparently, Hollywood Greed has spoken.

"Hey! We can out gross Lord Of The Rings this time fer shur!"

Kind of ironic IMO as I've always seen The Stand as Stephen's tribute/ modern day retelling of LOTR.

The Stand is my all-time favorite Stephen King book hands down. I read the "condensed" version in college and it was so good , I came close to bombing a couple mid term exams as I could not tear myself away from it to study.

Then a few years later, the uncut version was released and my respect for this book tripled.

Great news and hopefully not...sad news.

Oh well. To quote Vonnegut...."So it goes" ...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    chrischerm likes this.
  8. Remurmur

I'm with you on this ...:righton:

ohnothimagen and mj_patrick like this.
  9. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

We have one TV Series with "Game of Thrones" right now that stays for the most part true to the books - anyone care to add the hours compared to the number of pages the books took to tell the story ? So, no, 4 movies are not too much time spent IMO.

If it did work for GoT, it most certainly can work for "The Stand" - even if instead of going the TV Series route they take the Movie approach, you just need a lot of time to tell this story right.

And of course I too would rather have a instant viewing possibility of all parts like HoC on Netflix, but that ain't gonna happen .....

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

In "On Writing" (highly recommended) Stephen effectively says he was going for his own Lord Of The Rings epic fantasy novel, yes. :)

Karnak and Remurmur like this.
  11. Remurmur

I was not aware of that but I would have to say that I think he succeeded very nicely...:)

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

:righton:
    Well then Al should get off his butt and finish the song off! If anybody could do "BCYDYM?" justice, it'd be Al Kooper (I know Kooper is also friends with Stephen King, so there's even more of a connection there)
    Hell, give me The Stand over Lord Of The Rings any day of the week, and twice on Sundays!

13. Remurmur

Baby can you dig The Stand? ...;)

14. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I found a full version online, probably 10-15 years ago -- and added it to my Stand soundtrack. I'm not sure who recorded it, but the singer wasn't famous.

15. He was good but about 20 years younger than the character in the book. At least this time they won't have to combine characters. I hated that in the TV miniseries.

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

M-O-O-N...that spells moon

rogertheshrubber and Vidiot like this.
  17. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Couldn't disagree more. I thought it was absolutely AWFUL, a terrible reworking of an amazing book.

M-O-O-N, that spells cautiously optimistic.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Any further news on this?

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

all has been quiet...

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

dkmonroe likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

something to look forward to...thanks for the update.

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Uhh... Poke and Lloyd were two different characters, just like in the novel.

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yeah, I realized my mis-speak a half hour after I posted it. A year ago.

25. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

According to the most recent news (that I could find at least), we probably shouldn't hold our breath for any movement on this for a while.

Everything you need to know about The Stand movie

Personally, I'd like to see HBO take this on as a season-long epic.

mdm08033 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.