Okay... probably time for me to really dig into The Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Does this have the album but without all the background party noises?

2. Three discs of Party! sessions without party noise plus the album with party noise in stereo.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

So since the OP is selling a Good Vibrations box in the classifieds do I take it we failed to gain a convert?

4. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Listening to the Good Vibrations box set and just heard Sail On Sailor. That's a song I haven't heard in a really long time and one I always liked. Had no idea that was The Beach Boys. Really digging the Holland stuff

Moth likes this.
  5. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

No you did. I just rip a lot of stuff and then sell so that I can buy more. In this case actually I've decided to keep it which is why I've not bumped it.

6. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have just listened to "Love You" for the first time,and I think it's brilliant.Along with Holland,it is definitely my favorite post Pet Sounds/Smile Beach Boys album.I had to have the album explained to me in a BBC documentary I saw on YouTube.You need to view the record not as a Beach Boys record,but as both a Brian Wilson solo record,and in the context of what Brian was going through at the time.As it was explained to me in this film,this record should be seen as a blueprint for a lot of the indie and outsider rock records of the 80s and 90s.When viewed in this context,it is without a doubt The Beach Boys last great musical achievement.

And I can definitely imagine Johnathan Richman singing "Solar System" and "Ding Dang".

Much too weird and ideosynchratic to be a commercial hit,but brilliant all the same.

Not a record for a Beach Boys newbie,though.

starduster, gramfan and Moth like this.
  7. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Good post!.. Yes,definitely one of their best....they play all the instruments ..a first since most of Wild Honey,I think...btw..Check out Alex Chilton doing Solar System on YouTube...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Stay away from 20/20 as your introduction to the beach boys, my Lord, there is much better work out there to listen to. At least sunflower is a little better, no Charles Manson on it.

9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Love You, brilliant? I don't understand the fascination with this album and I'm a huge Brian fan, huge! Can someone please explain what I'm not getting?

10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have been listening to Smile Sessions from 2011 2lp set. Amazing sound, and "Surfs UP" blew me away (mono) version. I luv Pet Sounds but I think this is better>IMO

sean

11. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Some days Sunflower is my favorite BBs album.

starduster and Bill like this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed, but I love 20/20 too, uneven though it may be.

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

No Nearest Faraway Place on Sunflower.

14. Tex_Writer

Tex_Writer Well-Known Member

These 2 songs define the Beach Boys (at least to me @ 16 in 1966):

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.