If the Beatles split up in 1966...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very true, except one thing. But I'll "Let It Be"... :angel:

2. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

That's a really good one, could have happened bearing in mind the closeness of George and Eric.

kozy814 likes this.
  3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

We don't know for certain who or what is holding up the release of LET IT BE. I've heard everything from Yoko, to Paul, to George Harrison supposedly saying before he died that he never wanted it released. Who knows for certain?

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yoko, unquestionably.:D:hide:

5. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

On the plus side, no White Album or Let It Be (just kidding, I know a lot of fellow forum members hold those albums in high regard) :)

Seriously, the speculation about what would have been next, and where they possibly would have taken popular music and culture would have been fascinating.

For a moment, assume we don't know everything that came after '66.....who would have seen Sgt. Peppers as the next step in their progression?

And more importantly, I hope everyone on the forum has a healthy and happy Thanksgiving!!

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It was kind of a joke. Smile gave it away.
    Nobody knows.

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

That might be your "truth" but it ain't mine. I couldn't care less about Beatle love lives. My dislike of Ono stems from her piss poor art not from her ethnicity. I don't like Jackson Pollock or his art either but that's not because he was born in Wyoming. Sometimes artists are just unpleasant people. Or should that be sometimes unpleasant people are artists?

theMess likes this.
  8. bward

bward Senior Member

If John never wrote SFF, and the Beatles ended in 1966, I don't know if John would have survived .
    And I say this because, from what we've read his drug abuse in the mid 60's, by his own admission, was very strong.
    Isn't there a quote somewhere from Paul or George that said when they heard John was taking heroin they were relieved he was finished with LSD?
    Without the Beatles to keep him working, I wonder what would have become of John.
    Also, I happen to think that Yoko saved John's life. She gave him a reason to keep going.
    Obviously, this is just an opinion. I am going with info I've read over the years.
    Paul, I think would have been just fine. Writing new songs for himself. Maybe he would stay with Jane. I could see him in another supergroup, in the 60's. Maybe he would have teamed up with Hendrix, as that recently publicized letter suggests.
    As for George, what would have become of his late Beatles classics without the other Beatles or George Martin? Not so sure. I wonder if he would have simply pursued his passion for Indian music, unencumbered by the Fabs.
    Ringo, probably a career in film.
    As for the Beatles, they'd be viewed today fondly as an extremely popular band that got too popular. I imagine a few reunions down the road, with and without certain members.
    As I posted up thread, it's hard to think of a Beatles breakup without the acrimony, and without Klein or Apple.
    Also, maybe Brian Epstein would not have died. Who knows how that might have played out.

Happy Thanksgiving, SH friends.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Excellent choice of words.

ARK likes this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, in higher esteem. There best work was done by then.

Bill likes this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Not cool, dude. Not cool.

bumbletort likes this.
  12. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i am assuming the hermans reference is tongue in cheek ?

13. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

The Byrds comments are valid. With The Beatles gone in 1966 the stock of The Byrds would conceivably have been raised higher than it had been and they could well have assumed the mantle of #1 band in the world for a while circa 1967. They were the certainly The Beatles nearest rivals creatively in 1965 - 1967.

They'd probably still have imploded circa 1968 but of all The Beatles contemporaries I suspect McGuinn, Croz and Hillman would have had the most to gain.

14. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

All of that put together makes a compelling case that things were certainly more precarious than the public thought. Still, the time off in late 1966 before reconvening in November seems to have refreshed them all (except for George).

15. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Alternate history Steve Hoffman forum topic: "What if they'd stayed together: Compile a Beatles album from their 1967-1970 solo work."

16. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

If they'd split in the summer of 1966, there's a good chance Paul would not have taken LSD - or at least not for a while longer. So I'd expect a solo album or two along the lines of his more serious work on Revolver. John probably would have drifted off and beat Syd Barrett to the punch. George would have probably retired and spent the rest of his life gardening and playing the ukulele before forming the Traveling Wilburies (ahem). Ringo would have probably hosted a variety show.

petem1966 likes this.
  17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think not. I also think the amount of influence that would be lacking in psychedelic and rock music would have changed the entire face of music and the 70s would have been a lot different.
    Part of the Beatles legacy sitting at the top of the mountain is not just their music, but because of the influence they had on popular music and that influence being was hugely important between 1966 and 1970.

The only alternative likelihood I can think of is if they had all joined other bands and still had a huge impact on rock music as individuals instead of as a unit, and gained respect in that situation.

18. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I'll be an optimist here and assume that if they split in '66 they would have quickly realized their mistake and reunited in a year or two. They would've realized they needed to work at a more relaxed pace with opportunities for solo work & live performances mixed in. To top it off, they'd never split in 69/70 and would still be going strong today! How does that sound?

Nick Dunning and petem1966 like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

The Doors did alright !

20. They were two years after the fact in that sense. I'm talking about the immediate reaction.

21. alexpop

What " other bands jumped into horns" summer '67?

22. alexpop

Talking'
    But not replying. :)

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Well, Alvis recruited and formed Blood, Sweat and Tears after Monterey and recorded its first album in November and December. As I recall, they used a horn or two. The Doors' use of horns on Soft Parade struck me as copying Al's pioneering group as the Lizard King and company flailed around for a trend to follow. See also, Chicago.

24. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Don't know about that, but there are dozens of forum members who'd have nothing else to post here.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Bill likes this.
  25. alexpop

But.Hutch.:)
    Was referring to "immediately" summer of love 'June/July August 67'.sounds immediate to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.