Broderick and Drover Quit Megadeth

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffgt14, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Yikes. I'm pretty sure that the musical differences are really Mustaine being a jerk.

I can't think of a better time to get back Marty Friedman and Nick Menza, though it's unlikely.

supernaut, krock2009, bandguy and 2 others like this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Read Drover's comments last night, and then Broderick's message this morning. Very weird indeed as it seemed like a solid line-up.

I hope that Menza and Friedman come back, as two new members would just seem so silly at this point.

supernaut and 4stringking73 like this.
  4. ThePostElectroGranger

ThePostElectroGranger Forum Resident

They wished for "Youthanasia" :winkgrin:

Or they saw how unbelievably bad "Supercollider" was and they wanted out.

5. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I'm really not going to miss Broderick. Technically, he's a great player but his solos are completely unmemorable.

6. jeffgt14

I highly doubt Freidman comes back. He’s pretty successful in Japan and seems to enjoy it. I just find it odd they’re quitting right now. I believe they’re working on an album for next year.

hi_watt and Purple like this.
  7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think Mustaine would want Nick back though.
    Maybe Chris Poland could come back. I thought The System Has Failed was a great album.

8. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

How about Chris Poland and Dave Lombardo?? Not sure if Poland still has his chops but, he was part of my favorite Megadeth lineup. And Lombardo would be a
    no brainer in terms of his chops.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Wow pretty odd

Purple likes this.
  10. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Maybe they could just get James and Lars to come in and do the supergroup Dave always wanted.

supernaut and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  11. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

I feel kind of bad for being happy Shawn left, but he was easily the worst drummer they ever had, I REALLY hope Menza rejoins but I doubt it.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  12. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm excited about this news. I find Drover to be a really boring drummer. And Broderick is obviously talented as hell as a soloist but him leaving Megadeth doesn't bother me at all. It's really hard to predict where MegaDave will go from here because he's so mercurial that it doesn't matter how he feels about somebody today, he'll feel the opposite tomorrow and have no problem yapping about it.

It's entirely possible that who he gets to play on a new album isn't who will go on tour with the band. That would make people like Menza, Poland, Friedman or (and wouldn't this be insanely awesome???) Dave Lombardo better possibilities! How many Dave's does it take to make a Megadeth album? Three would be awesome!!

It wouldn't bother me if they got one of these guys to make a record with no intention of them joining on a full time basis.

Hopefully whatever happens Megadeth can stop the skid, because Endgame is amazing, Thirteen is pretty good and the less said about Super Collider the better! And I agree with ModernDayWarrior that The System Has Failed is a great record!

13. ModernDayWarrior

Wow I never thought about that. Dave Lombardo joining Megadeth would be unbelievable! Get on that phone Mustaine! ;)

14. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Yeah, so he can go from being abused by Slayer to being abused by Mustaine. Though honestly, Megadeth would be lucky to have him.

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

That's why I say that somebody like Lombardo could make a record with Megadeth without actually joining the band. These two Dave's thinking long term is fraught with potential difficulties. Short term it seems plausible that they could pool their talents and make a beast of a record.

ReadySteady likes this.
  16. jeffgt14

As long as it's Mustaine and Ellefson I'm good. I guess I'm in the minority that Super Collider though. I don't think anyone will be rejoining they'll probably fine two completely new guys. I don't think Lombardo will sound good drumming for a Megadeth record though.

17. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

I have no proof, only a very strong hunch that Friedman and Menza are back and Drover and Broderick were given their walking papers and the opportunity to leave on their terms in the press. It's just business and the new opportunities require the "Rust In Peace" lineup. I see Metallica and Megadeth putting out new albums and touring together. That would be huge.

18. Derek Blakley

Derek Blakley Forum Resident

Poland still has his chops.. check out his trio Ohm at the Baked Potato if you're in LA. I got to play bass for him at a clinic here in Dallas a couple of years ago.. can't see him going back in any other way besides pitching in a few guitar solos like he did with System has Failed.

I could've sworn that I saw where Dave had hoped to get Menza back in several years ago, but that he'd totally lost it.

19. ThePostElectroGranger

ThePostElectroGranger Forum Resident

that's
    UOTE="ModernDayWarrior, post: 11442262, member: 23513"]Wow I never thought about that. Dave Lombardo joining Megadeth would be unbelievable! Get on that phone Mustaine! ;)[/QUOTE]

that's three daves in one band

20. Matthew Tate

Nick had knee surgery around the time Dave first tried to get him back and he couldn't handle the bass drum stuff

Derek Blakley likes this.
  21. Derek Blakley

Derek Blakley Forum Resident

That would explain it! Yea, whatever it was that I read, Dave left that part out..

22. Matthew Tate

There is recent footage of him so that will let you know if he can cut it

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Megadeth has never, ever been able to keep a consistent line-up for any length of time. The amount of members the band has had is ridiculous. Like Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow ridiculous. I wonder if the fortunes of the band would be significantly different if Mustaine had been able to keep a solid line-up like Metallica has over the years. The revolving door has to hurt continuity.

Daniel Thomas and heatherly like this.
  24. ModernDayWarrior

Well If you think about it, the Rust In Peace lineup lasted about almost a decade. The original lineup was about 3 years. It's really after 2000 that the revolving door really started. It would be nice if the Rust lineup got back together.

4stringking73 and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

True, about 8 years for the Menza, Friedman, Mustaine, & Ellefson version. Not too bad and definitely the best version of the band.

I just did a search for Megadeth to confirm the tenure of this line-up and saw in a headline that Lombardo said he'd be open to replacing Drover. Interesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.