Vintage Disney cartoons and TV shows coming to Turner Classic Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds promising...!

...another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.”

The initial block of Disney programming by TCM is to run from 8 p.m., Eastern time, on Dec. 21 through 5:15 a.m. on Dec. 22. “It’s a Sunday night,” Mr. Tabesh said, “a perfect family night and getting close to Christmas.”

Among the nine scheduled items from the Disney archives are “Santa’s Workshop,” a 1932 cartoon; “The Disneyland Story,” in which Walt Disney himself describes in 1954 plans for the park named Disneyland that he opened in Anaheim, Calif., the next year; “Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier,” edited from episodes of a “Disneyland” serial about the frontiersman; and “The Vanishing Prairie,” a nature documentary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/b...-turner-to-promote-shows-and-a-ride.html?_r=1

supermd, chilinvilin, Vidiot and 5 others like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Great, but I kind of wish they'd put this stuff on The Disney Channel or start a new Retro Disney channel. I miss The Disney Channel of the 1980's so much.

supermd, clhboa, Vidiot and 6 others like this.
  3. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

"When You Wish Upon A Star..." :)

4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Song Of The South ?:hide:

Turner does run some "Negro" films & shorts from the 30's etc. usually without mentioning anything.
    They ran a Vitaphone short recently featuring an extremely young Sammy Davis Jr.

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Very, very unlikely...

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Disney seems to feel no need to romanticize the era of casual racism.

7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Looks cool. Thanks for the heads up!

8. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

A lot of their cartoons had some element of racism to them. When my daughter was young, we watched Dumbo with the crows, then we watched Peter Pan with the Indians. I said to myself, they will do Asians next and we watched The Aristocats and sure enough, there was a racist portrayal of an Asian in that.

Chad

9. TeacFan

Getting back to OP content, this looks like just a marketing tie in with the channel & Disney Orlando. The initial cable programming is underwhelming.

10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any other complaints? When I was 7 I had to wait 45 minutes to get into "The Enchanted Tiki Room" and man was I disappointed.

longdist01, chilinvilin and Gumboo like this.
  11. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

+Infinity

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

So that leaves us with basically nothing to air...

13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Most of that material mentioned in the TCM release was issued in the Walt Disney Treasures DVD boxed set series. Of course those are long OOP and there are people who who didn't or couldn't get the limited edition sets.

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

16. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I haven't seen a Johnny Tremain episode since they were new and I collected the related coins out of hot dog packages!

[​IMG]

Plus, I haven't seen The Great Locomotive Chase (sort of a remake of Buster Keaton's The General) since my dad took me in 1956! This should be interesting.

guy incognito and forthlin like this.
  17. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I'm bummed, as I had this on my list to do for last night, but instead I came home from work and slept right through it all.

:realmad:

18. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

As I was watching Johnny Tremain, James Otis came in and, whoa, that's Mike Fink, King of the River! He played that in a couple of Disneyland episodes with Davy Crockett. They used to have his keelboats in Disneyland. I don't know if they do anymore.

He was also in The Great Locomotive Chase as the big guy who wanted to fight. Anybody else remember Mike Fink?

[​IMG]

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I mourn all the old cable channels -- E, MTV, Discovery, A&E, etc. -- none of which do anything even close to what their original purpose was supposed to be. Now, they're just cable channels that show reality shows and infomercials, and occasionally air programs in their specific chosen areas.

20. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

y
    his name was Jeff York.he was in many Disney movies. (Old Yeller) good actor.i watched all of them also.great movies.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Alan G. likes this.
  21. guy incognito

22. TeacFan

Would love to see a PRINT 3 strip of The Old Mill in a theater. It was "on demand" a few weeks ago.

23. guy incognito

I'd set my DVR in advance to record tonight's lineup, which turned out to be a good thing since between baseball and the GOP debate I'd forgotten all about it! :doh:

24. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

They do these Disney things too infrequently. You know what I'd wish they show? Zorro, in its original b&w.

svoegtlin likes this.
  25. guy incognito

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.