Ann Peebles (Hi Records)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imagnrywar, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member Thread Starter

i've been getting into Ann Peebles in a major way lately. found a few OOP CDs awhile back. the first is a reissue of I Can't Stand the Rain, the 10 song LP. this was remastered by Larry Walsh, and sounds similar to his Al Green album remasters - not bad, but kind of pinched (not sure how else to describe it). the music itself, though - stunning! a lot of people refer to her as the "female Al Green," but i don't really get the same vibes from these two artists. actually, i prefer this Ann Peebles album to any Al Green i've ever heard.

the other disc i found is an old MCA title called "Ann Peebles' Greatest Hits." remastered by Doug Schwartz and Greg Fulginiti. this one has 12 tracks from the late '60s through the late '70s. i'd say the sound is very good, and the three songs that come from the I Can't Stand the Rain LP sound more natural and relaxed than on the Walsh remaster mentioned above.

i'm ready to dig deeper into her catalog. the disc i've got my eye on is the Vol. 1 of the "Complete Ann Peebles on Hi." i think this has everything she recorded for Hi up through 1973, while the second volume has the rest of the '70s material. can anyone comment on the sound?

slightly off-topic... i recently picked up Deep Soul Treasures vol. 3 and Jean Plum's "Look at the Boy" (also a Hi Records production) is jawdroppingly good. i can't seem to stop playing it.

A. Scrounger likes this.
  2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Paging Ron Stone...

I remember he had posted at length on the Ann Pebbles CD's but I can't find the thread right now.

3. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

The "Complete Ann Peebles on Hi" was put together by Demon in the UK. It's the same team of people who're in charge of the British Al Green or Syl Johnson reissues.

4. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I have both of the Ann peebles complete 1 and 2 from Demon/Hi UK records. I like them, but I dont have anythign to compare them to. I USED to have the original HI US cds, the straight reissues of the LP's but I got rid of them to get this complete set. I too would like to know which issue is better. I am a HUGE fan and her Straight from the Heart LP is my favorite, every song a killer

if anyone has definitive info on which issue to get I am all ears.i

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Calling all Ann Peebles lovers (isn't that everybody?): don't miss Ann's contributions to the fantastic Joe Henry-produced collection I BELIEVE TO MY SOUL. The best soul album of 2005 imo. Also a chance to hear Billy Preston for what may be his last recordings, too. :(

shutdown66 likes this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Found a copy of I Can't Stand the Rain this weekend. I really love her super solid songs—kinda a perfect soul singer. Any other LPs reissues available?

(Remember 2006?)

7. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

^ From European labels you have:

I Can't Stand the Rain on Fat Possum Records UK (I picked this one up too, fantastic record)
    Hi Singles - A's and B's on Music On Vinyl Holland (3xLP, pretty dear)
    Straight from the Heart on Speakers Corner Germany (haven't seen this one yet)

I have a compilation on CD somewhere too, but haven't looked at my CD's in 5 years now.

jupiterboy likes this.
  8. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I know the album "The Best Of Ann Peebles - The Hi Records Years" on the Right Stuff label (EMI) with 21 songs from 1996. The album was remastered by Tim Edmundson.

9. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

I can vouch for "Complete Ann Peebles on Hi". I was impressed with it when I last listened. I seem to remember that the vocal was a bit distorted at on some tracks, probably the older ones. I also seem to remember reading that that was the "desired" sound at the recording session. Maybe someone else can elaborate more.

10. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Well, as it happens the MOV 3 LP set I mentioned above showed up here for 24.99 (I think when I last saw it 1-2 years ago it was more like 30) and I couldn't help myself. Probably from the CD master and no match for the original 45's, but since I'll never have those... I can easily get into this instead. Super clean vinyl with poly-lined inners and a credits/review sheet, not a bad deal for 47 songs really. 99 lbs of soul, y'all.

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Ordered. This is just the sort of thing that stays in rotation for me year after year.

Antares likes this.
  12. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Small caution: don't let the info sheet catch on the re-closable MOV sleeve's adhesive strip...

jupiterboy likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Get the original Hi LP discs and 45 RPM discs and don't look back. None finer.

shutdown66 and zebop like this.
  14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have I Can't Stand...on a quad 8-track! I love it.

zebop and jupiterboy like this.
  15. walkabout

walkabout Forum Resident

Anyone heard this LP issue? Any comments on its sound quality?

16. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

I stumbled on a new Fat Possum vinyl release of Ann's 1971 sophomore album Part Time Love. It sounds a bit shrill to me, surprising because it was cut by Jeff Powell in Memphis (on the refurbished old Stax lathe I suppose). He also did the recent Robin McKelle and it sounds nothing like this. With the treble rolled off a bit (or on a warm setup) it sounds great though (and the Czech GZ pressing is faultless).

17. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Straight from the Heart is out on Fat Possum vinyl as well now. Cut by J. Powell again, this one's got the down and dirty sound for me. Manufactured at the new Memphis Record Pressing facility, my copy's not perfect but not bad either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.