Open your windows and I'll walk through your doors. Jethro Tull - WarChild Remixed 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Agree. Which songs were cut from the release ?

2. old school

old school Senior Member

In my opinion Bursting Out is a weak live album. There are many live shows better, that they should open the vaults.

The Hud and Mr Class & Quality? like this.
  3. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

This is the typical set list for the Bursting out live set according to the MInistry of information:

Quartet, No Lullaby, Sweet Dream, Skating Away..., Jack-In-The-Green, One Brown Mouse, Heavy Horses, A New Day Yesterday (w. flute solo)/Living In The Past (inst.), Songs From The Wood, Wond'ring Aloud, Hunting Girl, Too Old To Rock'N'Roll..., Conundrum/Drum Solo, Minstrel In The Gallery, Pop Goes The Weasel, Cross-Eyed Mary, Locomotive Breath, Thick As A Brick, Quatrain/Aqualung/Dambusters March

So appart from Wondring Aloud, there are no leftover tracks. IA writes in the remastered BO booklet that the remaining tapes contain the same setlist. In any case, it will be interesting to see in the future a Bursting Out Box set with the full shows in order to compare performances.

4. Daniel Falaschi

It´s not weak, but IMO the MSG gig is much better.
    I guess the JT "vault" is far from being full of live tapes and video from the seventies. Let´s first hope the Paris 75 show is indeed being prepared for release next year...will be the 40th anniversary!

5. old school

old school Senior Member

I saw Tull a couple of times and Bursting Out is not one of there best live shows, I'll put it that way. It's a shame they never released there live set from the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in 1977 just a amazing gig!

6. Daniel Falaschi

If tapes from that show would exist...

old school likes this.
  7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

The groove of Tomorrow Was Today really sinks in after repeated plays. I want to repeat this often.

I'm hooked on the quad versions. The flat transfer of the quad and the original stereo flat transfer are a delight for me.

The MFSL is still a worthy listen. Matter of fact the original UK CD isn't too shabby in comparison.

Unbelievable that there is even more to listen to in 5.1.

Thankful to be truly Tull blessed. :)

Plan9 and jon9091 like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right, one difference is that in "No Lullaby" they repeated the verse live (like the studio version) but it was cut from BO.

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I suspect we won't be seeing another version of this for a while. I received my set the other day, and on the back of the package, at the bottom, it says "Copyright 2104". :D

10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/54375/thread

Facebook link

Landing on the doormats of subscribers in the UK from today, here's the wallet for Prog 51. We chat 1974 with Jethro Tull, Genesis, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Roxy Music and more. Plus Genesis discuss *that* documentary, and there's also interviews with Gong - Band, Stanley Clarke, Simon Phillips (drummer), Soen, Devin Townsend, Unto Us, ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Dave "Squids" Kerzner, Sky, Andy Jackson, Skyharbor and much more. On sale Wednesday November 26...

[​IMG]
    Latest issue features a look at prog in 1974,
    classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-11-26/new-issue-of-prog-is-on-sale-today-1

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Plan9 likes this.
  11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Great issue. I've been reading the iPad version over the last few nights.

tootull likes this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Magma! Camel!

13. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

heavy horses is missing too....also the tracks are from different performances....one show straight through including banter, box set sounds wonderful and a different performance suits me fine too, I love MSG with kelpie thrown in there

14. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

if bursting out isn't one of their best shows then wow to the ones you saw, the band was just flying on all cylinders so tight and at peak performance during that era

old school likes this.
  15. Ian Beabout

Ian Beabout New Member

I agree - it's a rather tame and safe performance - IMO. Ian has a habit of selecting performances with the most 'right notes' over the ones with the most energy.

16. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Bursting out is awesome

tootull, Carserguev and Galeans like this.
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

To get back to the subject of this thread, I received my Warchild 40th Ann. edition and it is a thing of beauty.
    The attention to detail and the content are simply awesome. It's really well-put together and I wouldn't have imagined just a couple of years ago such a beautiful reissue for this album.
    It is of great value and highly recommended.
    I wish every album I like would get this nice a treatment.

freemanl, tootull, Ulli and 4 others like this.
  18. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Same wish here... Zombies' Odessey, Bowie's glam era albums made this way would be so great !

jon9091, rd1 and GLYNSTYLER like this.
  19. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

What SW did with some of the remixes that are not so faithful to the original mixes is spectacular, especially Glory Row and Pan Dance. The Original Pan Dance Mix was sort of bland (as good as the music is) and the new one is full of power and energy. And Glory Row... oh man. That edgy guitar at the end that is missing from the original mix.... stunning.
    I always loved Glory row but had only the choice betweens the muddy Repeat version and the overbright remaster. And now this stunng mix.
    Everything is absolutely great with this reissue.
    And Good Godmother and Tomorrow was today. I never thought to hear new (to me unknown) Tull stuff THAT good anymore.

I am sooo happy at the moment.

20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Still waiting for my warchild. It's amazing this wasn't released as a double album. The album would have had 3 times more fans. Especially a lot more prog fans. 20 studio songs plus half a dozen classical pieces. Ian was trying to sound commercial by choosing the 5 weakest tracks to be part of the original album

21. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

By the way, War Child is amongst 5 Ritchie Blackmore's most favorite music albums...

tootull likes this.
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

It's probably his fave now lol
    He even did a cover of rainbow blues

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    tootull likes this.
  23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Pan Dance ..... Wow

tootull likes this.
  24. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Mine just arrived. I've never owned nor listened to this one before, but I know from experience (Passion Play) that I'm in for a treat.

tootull likes this.
  25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Listening to the 5.1 mix as I write this. Mind appropriately boggled, but I expected nothing less. I'm 14 again only with a much better sound system...

dougb222, tootull and RubenH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.