If you see a rare record you already own, do you buy another copy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Nope. I'm at the point where I'd rather use that money to hear something new to my ears.

ARK likes this.
  2. That Rhino is a wonderful pressing, but you gotta get the MFSL 45RPM boxset....even betterer!:D

3. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

My biggest problem is I often assume that I already have a copy when I don't. Some of my favorite artists' catalogues have holes in them because I'm so familiar with all their records, I think I simply must have all their albums somewhere. This goes back to the days when folks would 'borrow' friends' records and record them onto tape. I was always able to listen to the music and somehow thought I already owned the actual record. King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Eno, etc. were artists that I knew every album back and forth but after I put away the cassette deck and went looking for the record, I was amazed at how few I actually had in the collection.

This mental hiccup continues to this day and if I come across a record that I'm very familiar with and its not a real bargain, I'll put it back only to find it missing when looking through the stacks to give it a spin... :doh:

4. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

You'll never take me collection never! It's gotten to the point though if I can't find a second copy I don't bother opening the first. ;) It kills me though I've heard they need to breath some how or else they start to warp. Some come with holes poked in the syran wrap already.

5. Donnezmoilemusique

Donnezmoilemusique New Member

Excellent point!!! I DETEST how resellers on eBay are gouging people and the abuse of the word "rare" and even OOP is deplorable. I feel they try to play on the possibility that users are not savvy enough to research these supposed OOP titles. They do it with music AND movies.

http://iammrhollywood.tumblr.com/

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thanks! It's so frustrating, all you have to do is spot check the ebay listings and see the items that are being sold as "archival mastering" and "first offical pressing", all these tag lines to help move product. It's crazy, I've even written to sellers that advertise an LP as a first pressing, when it clearly is 2-3-4-5th pressings. I've included notes and even pictures of labels to prove that what they are selling is overpriced and inaccurate. Not once has someone changed their listing LOL. I feel sorry for those that don't know any better that pay top dollar for something they think they are getting. It's not right.

Donnezmoilemusique likes this.
  7. Vincent Terranova

Vincent Terranova Active Member

Chasing down rare copies was always a matter of cost. I chase the ultra rare official release Capitol Sinatra in Mexico. I seen it only once in over 30 years, in the collection of a top Sinatra collector. After selling all my Sinatra Vinyl and changing over to cds, I came upon a complete collection in NYC. There it was and only 75.00 in mint condition. It was 2002 after my home was burglarized. I had become a semi-minimalist and I stood there staring at the rarity. $75.00 was nothing at this time and yet the thrill that I used to get was long gone. Yes, I should have bought it and resold it for a easy big profit. The album didn't have any songs that I didn't have but the urge to acquire the holy grail album somehow was gone. My point is , do collectors thrive for what they can't obtain more than what they need?

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. Vincent Terranova

Rarity albums are available when the current generation of fans that were alive at the time of the performance passed on. Family members throw them out or wholesale the collection. Also when there is a major change to a different way of enjoyment. Reissues definitely remove some of the demand. My point is that it is always a cycle of years when rare album will appear. So seeing more than one available is possible.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Curse of "The White Album"?
    Yeah! I got it bad.

Vincent Terranova likes this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

If I come across a record that I know is hard to find or/and in good condition, I sometimes will pick up a second copy. I also like to compare different pressings from pressing plants so that may be one reason. I only do that on special records that I really like and those I can pass on to friend who I know would be interested in obtaining a copy.

11. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Yes I do for sure...if it does not cost too much of course!
    And I am even happier then I found the first...

Donnezmoilemusique likes this.
  12. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I've never heard of this Capitol Sinatra in Mexico record, was that the title? Looking on Popsike and eBay I don't see any collectable Sinatra Mexico items come up.

13. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

It's only happened once that I recall, or actually twice but with the same record both times: Seger's Back in '72. After I spent years getting a clean copy at a not-outrageous price, I've since found two more for under $20 (both in Europe, where he's rather less popular). I gave one as a gift to a friend who I knew would appreciate it, and saved the other as it's on the orange Reprise label, an interesting variation.

14. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

if its for a fair price, almost always can always upgrade or trade it to a friend for something I need

15. Vincent Terranova

That's is why is was so rare. It was an official U.S.A. release on Capitol label, that only a few Sinatra collectors had. You couldn't find it at any price at one time. It was a compilation of already release Capitol songs. However it was an official release and the Title was " Sinatra in Mexico ".. You will never find it on Ebay. I have been collecting Sinatra for over 40 years and have seen it in a store once and 30 years before in a Sinatra collection. I know that two other collectors claim to have it. It is that rare. I believe the release date was 1966, after Sinatra was many years with Reprise.

AaronW likes this.
  16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Interesting, thanks for the info! You're right, it does appear to be incredibly rare, I was only able to find one reference on this link:

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Anybody else feeling the need to spend some time in Canuckistan? I haven't seen an MFSL CD in the wild in a decade or two. Maybe the shop owners around here are more savvy? It is the Ozarks after all... [Some times my humor doesn't translate so well for those of you unfamiliar with the Ozarks? It's generally thought that we are unedumecated barefoot hillbillies...and we are for the most part... Seriously, it gets cold here so we put shoes on occasionally in the winter.]

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I have friends who do nothing but buy records they already own.
    (I don't get it either...)

19. Vincent Terranova

20. Vincent Terranova

I you think this is rare try to find the original Capitol (usa version ), not Canadian, Sinatra sings the select Harold Arlen.

21. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

I wouldn't knowingly buy an album again unless it offers something my original didn't (like a DVD, bonus disc, etc.) I rebought the Stones Abkco releases when they rolled out the hybrid SACD's but that is more the exception than the rule.

22. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Probably, as a gift for a friend.

23. Donnezmoilemusique

Donnezmoilemusique New Member

Apparently, I'm not as well versed as you are on those intricacies such as how to distinguish a first
    I guess maybe that's what I'm witnessing now. I've seen so many copies of different recordings that I thought were non-existent lately. It almost seems as if someone had been hoarding them for years. For me, It's been mainly CDs. I see an awful lot of them in long boxes, of all things. Doesn't that seem strange or is it just me?

24. Vincent Terranova

The longer box version became a collector item with many collectors. I never thought that it had value, especially that many long boxes were only 10 and 12 bit releases. However some collectors collect everything to do with the artist. it's cool.

25. Rhythmdoctor

Rhythmdoctor Well-Known Member

So my 7 copies of Lawn Boy means I'm a little off:laughup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.