Upgrade from B&W CM5 in the $1000 range?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking to upgrade, I currently own the b&w cm5 speakers. Is there anything out there in the $1000 range that can better these speakers? My current amp is a musical fidelity a300 150wpc.

2. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

A touch more money will get you a pair of used KEF LS-50s.

If you like the B&W sound - like I do - a pair of used Matrix 805s cane be had for under ~$800

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

My guess is that at the $1000.00 range you'll be doing more of a side-grade (ie. different) than an absolute upgrade unless you go used. The idea of Matrix 805s is a good one though.

4. everton

everton Forum Resident

I always wonder about how today's speakers stack up against those of 20-30 years ago. I haven't heard the CM5, and it's been close to 20 years since I heard the Matrix 805. I can't imagine that the 805 can compete with the CM5 in terms of transparency. But in terms of imaging and soundstage, I think it's hard to find bookshelf speakers that can best the 805.

wgriel likes this.
  5. Phono Groove

Curious to hear the kef ls-50 , has anyone compared the b&w cm with the kefs?

6. everton

everton Forum Resident

In their review of the LS-50, Stereophile compared them to B&W CM5. This is what they wrote:

The CM5 was noticeably more sensitive than the LS50, and had a lighter, airier balance, but was also slightly laid-back in the treble. Both speakers had very clean upper-frequency presentations, though the CM5 was less forgiving of ticks on LPs. However, the B&W's bass was usefully more extended than the KEF's.

Which speaker you will prefer will depend very much on your tastes in sound and music. Classical orchestral, solo piano, and vocal recordings were better suited to the more neutrally balanced KEF, and rock to the B&W, with its more laid-back low treble and more extended low frequencies. On balance, I preferred the LS50.

I haven't heard the CM5. But I've heard the CM1 and CM8. I don't think their midrange is as clear and transparent as the the LS-50's.

7. Phono Groove

Thanks for the info ill consider the kefs...I'm also looking at the totem rainmakers, any thoughts if the totems would be a step up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.