need to convert 60Hz to 50Hz ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Funky54, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

What I'm finding is the frequency being wrong... even with corrected voltage is bad for the Roksan AC synchronous motor or power supply. Pulleys do work for "some" tables. Likely because the motors and power supply were built for 50/60Hz. The Internet is full of horror stories.

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

The Internet is full of horror stories about everything. Need to be careful what you believe.

In this case perhaps the Roksan turntable has some sort of speed-correction circuitry built in. If so, it might not work properly when feed 240V 60Hz power (from a step-up transformer). If not, then there should be no reason why a replacement pulley wouldn't work fine -- assuming that the correct pulley is available. But it's possible that the 120V and 240V motors may have more differences than just the voltage (e.g. different RPM) -- and that could mean that there is no pulley available for the 240V motor that would allow it to deliver correct speeds when fed 60Hz power.

3. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

well seems like UK ebay is your likely option. Before that though I would speak with the distributor in BC and hear his take on it.

4. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to return it vs. buying a pulley, transformer, new wall plug adaptor, etc?

5. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

This is why I refuse to buy stuff if I can't have a schematic. Is the motor hooked directly to line power or is there a board in there?

It's possible there is a synchronous motor in there that itself is good for 50 or 60 Hz but a cap is used and its value must be different.

6. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

7. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

What is the Ebay seller's response? Review Ebay seller requirements.

Yes, you should have asked QUESTIONS before you bought. Do you have a warranty, etc? Welcome to the gray market!

8. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Buying gray market is a tradeoff. There is nothing wrong or immoral about it but you do become responsible for a lot more than if you went through the authorized channel.

Certain vendors can get downright nasty toward dealing with gray market products and you just have to factor that in the price.

9. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

I have returned it.

I don't want to go through this all again, I asked lots of questions the seller "KNEW" I was in the US on of course US power. He "knew" I'd need a transformer but didn't tell me before I bought it. He told me he knew before he sold it to me.

Lots happened.

I got a full refund including shipping.

What I hope anyone researching because they may buy one not matching the power requirements from where they live is this, don't.

50/60 Hz tables can work with a transformer/convertor and a pulley. Motors that only say a cycle not matching where you live....say 50Hz in a 60 Hz country won't work reliably, safely, accurately over time. Unanimously and unrelated to each other they all say NOT to do it.

Tremaindous likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.