The Dean Martin Variety Show*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by barzzz, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

+1 :righton:

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IIRC, commercials were nationally run on the first run of the TV series...when they went into re-runs local commercials were used...

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

4. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I picked up one of these volumes used at a thrift store for a buck, and it was all highlights. Mostly full sketches here and there. Fun to watch, but I'd still prefer full shows.

5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Just picked up this set with the full, uncut episodes. It's down to $22 on Amazon. Great to watch these episodes intact, from the opening NBC peacock to the "snake" logo at the end. I avoided all previous DVD releases of this show as I knew it would just bug the hell out of me to watch the show and wonder what was edited out...
    As others have said, a few of the network commercials -- or perhaps some of the network promos from the era -- would have been cool to have. (The Nancy Sinatra "Movin' On" DVD is a real trip, as it includes several commercials with Nancy in them.)
    I just hope we get more uncut volumes of the show. This one came out a year and half ago, and there have been no additional volumes announced. Petula Clark guested on at least a few episodes and I'd love to see those performances.

DEAN.jpg

junk and Mister Charlie like this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Just watched the episode with Jackie Mason... Dean introduces Jackie by replicating the controversial "hand gesture" that resulted in Ed Sullivan banning Mason from his show for about two years, and wow, I can see how Ed thought Jackie was flipping him off. You can freeze-frame the Dean Martin DVD and see that for about 1/8th of a second there Dean Martin flipped the bird to all of America on NBC and in prime time. (Admittedly, when you watch it in real time, it's clearly a series of rapid-fire gestures meant to be comical and, yeah, a bit provocative. )

On Dean's show, Jackie even references the Sullivan ban in his routine, which is very funny and surprisingly edgy for that era...

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Been listening to her vinyl a lot lately, especially Greatest Hits, and I never seem to get tired of it. About her range....it's hysterical hearing her kind of staying in the background during duets not involving Hazelwood! Especially with her dad....she barely sings at all! And she just coos and "ha ha ha's" on some...weird but fun none the less.

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Oh yeah, Dean and Nancy duet on "Things". It was a Dino record and they put Nance into the chorus spots and anywhere else they could shoehorn her in.

9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Frank Jr. inherited much of Frank's singing ability but his attitude was a nonstarter. Nancy was a go-getter, positive attitude, wanted to work, but not much pipes. Life, and genes are funny like that.

Even Madonna has a lot more to work with vocally than does Nancy, and Madge definitely was influenced by her.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, that being the case Nancy did very well. I guess we have to give a lot of credit to Hazelwood? You can hear her positive attitude in her recordings, IMO. I'm 52 so her time was already passed when I got into music but I really enjoy her. And when I read about her, she exudes all the qualities you mention. I know nothing about Jr. That sounds like an interesting read!

11. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip-off,be getting the UNCUT dvd soon.

12. craigt

craigt Active Member

Has anybody got any idea why Star Vista is taking so long to release further episodes of the Dean Martin Variety Show on DVD. Its been at least 12 months since the single disc release of the"Best of Dean and His Friends." C'mon...there are so many songs yet to be released!

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can't get enough of Dino! there is nothing I wouldn't buy involving Dino?

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm guessing either licensing issues, or they don't think they will sell well enough, or both.

15. craigt

craigt Active Member

It's a shame. So many of Dean's opening numbers and couch songs look like they will never see the light of day...maybe future editions need more music and less old time comedy to attract younger viewers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  16. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

The latter is much more likely. For at least the past year, there have been eBay sellers offering multiple copies of the 6-disc "Best of the Dean Martin Variety Show" DVD set for ten bucks a pop. The list price on this set was $60 when it was first released, and it clearly didn't sell nearly as well as expected if resellers have been able to pick up large quantities at a discount so steep that they can still make money selling them at 85% off MSRP.

17. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

A lot of us were so irritated at how they were butchered. I wouldnt buy another set. The uncut set was cool. But those other sets were poorly done.

18. craigt

craigt Active Member

I wish Star Vista would secure the rights to all the songs like they did for The Wonder Years. All Dean's fans want Complete and Uncut versions of the show released season by season. Heck..I would even buy MOD versions of the series on DVD or pay more just to have the opportunity to obtain the series uncut. So far it looks like Star Vista aren't the company to do this, despite everyone's high expectations that they would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.