Fantastic New Budget DAC: The Marantz HD DAC1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Totally agree. USB stick DACs are a whole other category. The comparsion should be between other desktop units.

And . . . what does it matter if we call $700 "budget" or not, in the context of a home audio system? Either it's affordable to someone or it's not. No shame, either way.

What matters is how this thing sounds, mainly in its own right, but also compared to other DACs around the same selling price (and maybe to ones 1/2 and 2x as costly).

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

To answer one of your thoughts...in my system it sounds better than every competively priced DAC I have used. The one DAC I currently have that is on par with it is the $499 iFi Micro iDSD. But it requires the $199 iUSB to sound as good.

3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yes, I'm getting mine delivered this coming Tuesday. UD5007 Lists for $599, bought mine from Accessories4Less for $299 refurbed, which
    I prefer to getting a 'brand new' one straight from china without going through a real technicians desk. And it Does Play DVD-A and SACD, only in 2channel Stereo (analog rca outs) or multi channel via HDMI. And it's also geared toward the Stereo setup-I don't plan on hooking mine up to a tv, just the stereo.
    the beave

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Good God in Heaven, that's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Almost a shame to cover it up!!
    Man I love this hobby!!
    the beave

5. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

ServingTheMusic: Unfortunately I think my unit may have a fault :rolleyes:. I get a (very) low level hum through the headphones output. You have to be in a very fairly quiet environment to hear it, I almost thought I was imagining it until I turned on the standby switch and it was then dead silent. Tried all the standard checks for earth loops etc. - no dice. It's there on every input. Doesn't alter with volume control. Drowned out when most music is playing, but obviously one shouldn't be getting any noise other than the music on a product in this price range. This is with sensitive 32-ohm headphones (Audio Technica ATH-AD700s) so perhaps its not so obvious with less sensitive ones. I've also noticed the DAC gets extremely warm after a few hours use. Warmer than I'd expect. Does yours exhibit either of these symptoms? Hoping I don't have to send it back already...

Cheers,

John.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Because, clearly, Marantz / D&M Holdings have it in their interest to employ fake technicians in their excellent offshore Chinese manufacturing facility you mean...? I can see the way that business model might be a raging success, etc...!

7. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Wonder how it compares as both a DAC and a headphone amp to the Oppo HA-1.

It certainly is a very nice looking unit!

8. ServingTheMusic

Mine does not get unusually warm at all. So no issue there.

I only have one pair of cans pair of Grado SR60... Will try it and report back.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Does anyone know what the differences are supposed to be between this DAC and between the build-in DAC inside of the SA-8005? Obviously the SA-8005 spins disks and the DAC doesn't. But are the DAC's and analog output stages supposed to be largely identical to the SA-8005?

And does anyone know what you loose with the Marantz universals as compared to their SACD players? I mean are the universals supposed to be sonically inferior to their dedicated SA-CD players?

10. 5meohd

5meohd New Member

^^ ditto?

I'm also VERY keen to hear how the headphone amp would work with something like the Sennheiser HD 600's.

11. Halloween_Jack

Cheers - appreciate it.

Wonder if the 230v units aren't so happy with some of our UK voltages - ours hovers around 248v here!

12. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I get my before 5-6 days.
    I put it as upgrade for Sony XA-20ES and connect through variable out Yamaha M2.
    Stage is bigger ,instruments location is better, timing perfect ,piano is big.

[​IMG]

13. Halloween_Jack

P.S. Couldn't get my 80GB iPod Video (5.5 gen) to be recognised using the front input either. Says unsupported, even though the manual says it should be. Can fudge it to work by going into one of the folders on the iPod first, then plug it into the Marantz. But I can't select any of the songs on the iPod itself regardless of whether it's set to Direct or Remote mode in the settings.
    3 problems and counting... Not a great start after my initial enthusiasm of yesterday :(

14. ServingTheMusic

I plugged in a USB stick with WAVs with no issues. Will try iPhone or iPad too.

15. ServingTheMusic

agree pianos sounds great....

16. ServingTheMusic

So my report is as follows:

It recognized both my iPhone and iPad with zero issues..was able to play back AIFF files.

ZERO noise with my Grado SR60 headphones.

Runs cool.

17. Halloween_Jack

Thanks for checking your unit - appreciate it. Mine runs fairly lukewarm until its been on around 3/4 hours straight, then its very warm to the touch.

The hum is very slight, and you'd need a very quiet environment to hear it in at all, but its definitely there on mine. Looks like I'll have to get a refund and buy one from elsewhere, as the seller won't have any fresh units in until late December :/

Looks like I just got a rogue unit then, unless there's an issue with the UK units (seems unlikely). Will see what happens with the replacement... Other than this unfortunate hiccip though, it really is a fabulous sounding DAC. Will definitely get another.

Cheers,

John.

18. ServingTheMusic

No worries.

FYI,I leave the unit on 24/7.

Curious if you unplug it and let rest then start it up again if the issues persist.

Also, be aware the front panel is limited to 48 khz...

19. ServingTheMusic

No worries.

FYI,I leave the unit on 24/7.

Curious if you unplug it and let rest then start it up again if the issues persist.

Also, be aware the front panel is limited to 48 khz...

20. Halloween_Jack

Have tried that and unfortunately they still persist. Easiest way to hear the hum (on my unit) is a pair of headphones plugged in, and the aux input selected (with nothing plugged into it), though it does it on all inputs once locked onto a digital signal. Prior to lock, and the relay clicking, it's utterly silent through the phones.

Curious about the temperature dfferences between our units too. So yours is on 24/7 but doesn't get warm, even towards the top rear of the unit? Hoping this isn't a regional voltage variation problem. I don't know anyone else in the UK with one yet. Will just have to see what happens with the 2nd unit. Hoping I manage to get another before Christmas.

21. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

Have to say mine runs hotter than I'd have expected, but not so much so that I've been concerned by it. I got mine from Harrow Audio here in the UK, if you're re-ordering they were usefully cheaper than the rest :)

22. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

Mine is after 3-4 hours still much cooler than Yamaha M2. I think it is ok :D

23. Halloween_Jack

Perhaps the 230V UK version does run warmer than the US variant. After 3/4 hours use mine really is 'Class A' amp hot at the back of the unit. You can feel it through the front control panel knobs too.
    Take it yours doesn't have the faintest trace of any hum either when using headphones?
    Just looked at their website and it seems to be the same price as everywhere else @ £679?

24. ServingTheMusic

My units gets warm, but not even close too being to warm to touch. The Mytek DAC gets much warmer. like a mini space heater.

You should have seen the Musical Fidelity M6si I reviewed! I could fry an egg on top of that unit after an hour!

25. ServingTheMusic

It might very well be a voltage issue.

But even here in the US, I have had units that ran much warmer, including the Burson Conductor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.