CNN The Sixties series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any fans of this series? I watched it and liked it a lot. The archival news footage was nice and looked cleaned up .

GoodKitty and beatlematt like this.
  2. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I thought it was great. I noticed the footage looked brushed and polished too.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is the right way to do a documentary with a lot of period footage. They did a fantastic job rescanning everything for 16x9, and the color-correction and restoration was fantastic. Even the old videotape looked great uprezzed to HD. A class act all the way... plus the shows were very entertaining.

4. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would totally buy this series on blu-Ray. It's the best archive footage I've seen!

detroit muscle likes this.
  5. wormburner

wormburner New Member

good.show

6. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

To all who have seen CNN's The 60's and History Channels The 60's, how do they compare as far as content and video quality? Thanks!

7. Heavy Music

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've watched a few and enjoyed them. Well done, well written, and as posted above, great footage. I'll have to watch the entire series.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is this available on home video?

10. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Very well done! Great footage! They did a very good job

The music episode reminded me how much better music there was beyond what it showed. The surface was barely scratched. Not a fault of there's but it's a testament to much great music there was then.

Bill likes this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

This is my childhood revisited. Excellent series.

12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Not currently. There's not been any announcement that I'm aware of either, but I'm hoping for an eventual Blu-ray.

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Was that the one that started with The Kennedy Assassination and ended with 1968?

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK... thanks Dave...

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's been the most-watched CNN series in some years, and the new management say that they're going to continue making more historical shows like it. Coming up in summer 2015 will be The Seventies.

beatlematt likes this.
  16. Heavy Music

Anyone?

To all who have seen CNN's The 60's and History Channels The 60's, how do they compare as far as content and video quality?

17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think the CNN series beats out the History Channel, if only for using more period news coverage of events. The Kennedy Assassination installment was outstanding.

18. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

CNN was scheduled to do a rare re-airing of some of the shows last night, but they pre-empted them for coverage of that missing airplane story and also the Greek ferry thing. CNN thinks missing airplanes are like the stories of the century... Please... 2 minutes most at the top of the hour and we get the idea.

19. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I know...every time I've tried to watch it something seems to pre-empt it...

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've seen 2 of them the JFK one and the Vietnam one and thought both were very good.

21. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

DVD release has been announced for February 17. The linked press release as well as the package art depicted both say 3 discs, but Amazon's listing indicates 4. Probably just a mistake on Amazon's part.

Disappointing that there's no corresponding Blu-ray.

[​IMG]

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sixties-DVDs-Announced/20657

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Does this series attempt to answer the decades-old question "When did The Sixties begin and end?"?

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The subtext of the series is that JFK started everything. If they can find a link they'll run with it.

jamesmaya likes this.
  24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I would have dialed it back a few months to August 1963 with the March on Washington and Martin Luther King, Jr.

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

King gets photographed with JFK after the march. That's the link. Even the ep about 1968 linked Kennedy with everything and that was years after his death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.