Crosley record cleaner, is it a $20 cheaper Spinclean? Anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CarloM, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,

New to the vinyl world and am looking at ways to clean and maintain records affordably (I can't afford a vinyl vacuum solution). I was looking at Spinclean which gets good reviews here and Amazon sells for $79.99. However I stumbled across the Crosley vinyl record cleaner which looks to be a very similar product (the ABS plastic is molded a little differently) and seems to work on the same principle, but is $20 cheaper at $59.99.

Has anyone used this? Good or bad experiences they'd care to share? Should I just go with the tried and true Spinclean?

Thanks!

2. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

It would depend on the quality of the brushes and rollers and the cleaning formula, the rest is just a plastic tub. I like the art deco look, it does look cooler.

I take part of that back. The Spinclean is solid like a rock on my kitchen counter, if the Crowsley is wobbly that would be detrimental.

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I wouldn't take the chance. At $80, the Spin Clean is known to be a great product, while there's not much good generally said about Crosley. Pay the extra $20 and get the Spin Clean.

Dino, thesisinbold, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Crosley, besides lacks any "Track Record" in this field. Spin Clean is a known reliable product.

5. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

The Spin Clean Solution suspends much of the dirt so that it does not recontaminate the records. I cleaned about 100 dusty 45s in the last 2 weeks to do needle drops and it makes a difference. You can certainly see the dirt in the solution and on the microfiber cloths, so change them regularly.

6. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident Thread Starter

You guys have convinced me. I will spend the extra $20 for Spinclean. Thanks!

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

You can't go wrong withe Spin Clean, I just cleaned two dozen records today including a few 40+ year old used albums I found this afternoon at my local record shop. The great results the Spin Clean gives always put a smile on my face and make my ears happy.

If you don 't like the yellow model there is a more expensive clear plastic version available. I got one on $99 special including a big bottle of cleaning fluid due to a dented packing box, but would have bought it anyway as I couldn't abide the yellow plastic.

8. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I just watched that video, I'd imagine that pushing the record around by its edge with your hands would be a bit uneven? The Knosti has a nifty clamp that goes over the labels and you spin it round by grasping the finger holes on the clamp: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00793YMKK

tin ears likes this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm not sure what your budget is but other forum members have given good reviews for this unit: https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

You need your own vacuum cleaner that can handle liquids though.

11. jermainejagger

jermainejagger New Member

Doesnt the spinclean involve the same edge handling though??
    Also thinking of purchasing the crosley version since it seems like the same method as the spin clean and also the design seems much better fit for storing to the side on a shelf when not in use vs the spincleans boxy bright yellow design :\
    Im thinking even the solution may be the same?i wonder if the brushes can be interchangeable as well?

12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Buy a SpinClean and you won't have buyer's remorse. I used Gerber baby formula water for a buck at WalMart.

13. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

I'd be wary of any modern product with the name Crosley on it.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  14. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The Crosley record cleaner is great if you're playing the record on a Crosley! :nyah: :whistle::sigh: The value of the Spin Clean is in the brushes which get in the groove, and do not damage the record.

15. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

so funny to read all these opinions from people, not one of whom have tried the product.

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Interesting Q & A where a buyer replaced the cleaning pads with spin-clean one's & they fit ......

is Spin Clean better than the Crosley cleaner

A:

Both are the same, theCrosley is cheaper
    Jeana H. answered on May 31, 2015

A:

The simple answer is Yes. The Crosley is a direct copy of the Spin Clean, and the brushes are interchangeable. That being said, the Spin clean brushes have a deeper pile to the felt, and thicker foam backing. I've replaced the brushes in my Crosley with Spin Clean brushes and get better results. The Spin Clean cleaning fluid is more concentrated than the fluid that comes with the Crosley, so you'll get more mileage out of the Spin Clean fluid. see less
    Mr. Bong answered on June 9, 2015

jermainejagger and The FRiNgE like this.
  17. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

And for what its worth for those of us the live here it's made in the USA!

Davidmk5, mikeyt and JamesD1957 like this.
  18. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Right? This is done more often than not on this forum. People complain about something without knowing much of anything about it. Seems par for the course around here. I'd like to know this too. If it's cheaper, why wouldn't I go for it...so long as it works well.

Ed

jermainejagger likes this.
  19. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

So, if you buy the Crosley and replace the brushes and the fluid with the Spin Clean brushes and fluid, they are pretty equal.

8oz Spin Clean fluid = $12
    Spin Clean brushes = $24

I think i would just go with the Spin Clean. Plus, i think the Spin Clean is made in the USA. I don't know where the Crosley is made.

jriems, Davidmk5 and The FRiNgE like this.
  20. The FRiNgE

"so long as it works well" It isn't expected to work as well; It doesn't work as well!

21. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Have you used one?

Ed

jermainejagger and Poison_Flour like this.
  22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Same here & as much as i don't care for the yellow , from what i have read people like it as you can see just how dirty the water is with the yellow .....

500Homeruns likes this.
  23. Both are very simple products made out of lightweight plastic. I doubt there would be much difference in quality.

jermainejagger and Poison_Flour like this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

True. But the Spin Clean is a known entity and has a good reputation. Crosley may be good itself on this one, but it's too new for comfort for many. And their other products sure aren't quality yet.

25. The FRiNgE

Ed, the reviews say enough: http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-AC100...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2S5NC6A2TX3YW

The critical review states exactly what I said above jokingly, and was not assuming too much.. The Crosley strikes again, it damages your records! It's good that another product is out there at a lower price, and this encourages more people to clean their vinyl and have their listening experiences be more rewarding. But, there is a high percentage of people who are collecting vinyl, who are not audiophiles, and who are not that fussy with their grading. The short comings of the Crosley product can go unnoticed by many. The question is, have the people who have purchased the Crosley, purchased and used the higher cost Spin clean? The spin clean has non-skid rubber feet. The Crosley doesn't. The spin clean has one piece rollers. The Crosley has two piece rollers that catch the edge of the record, causing difficult turning of the record. The Crosley is dark in color, making it difficult to see how contaminated the water has become. The spin clean is light in color, and easy to see the contamination. The Crosley has reportedly stiffer brushes and less foam backing. The Spin Clean brushes have a thicker pile and more foam backing. (We want the pile to get down in the groove, and a softer pile that will not damage it) The odd Crosley shape, looking more like the London Bridge does not fit as nicely on a shelf as the squared shape of the spin clean.

May I ask you Ed, which product would you rather have to clean your collection? Is your vinyl worth more than the $20.00 difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.