Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the hardest believable part of 'homeland' for me anyway, is the fact that a known bipolar manic depressive was chosen to head a CIA unit in pakistan, of all places.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

3. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

And no-one else seems to be in on the secret. You'd think someone would recognise the signs when she's having an episode and perhaps be aware of the treatment needed.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

She basically blackmailed the CIA chief into sending her. Remember she knows where all the bodies are buried in the whole Brodie fiasco.

PHILLYQ and Deesky like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

irrelevant in my opinion.

they just would never let it happen in real life, i don't care what she knows, they would "find a way" to deal with it.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There are people in high positions who are only there because if they were sacked they'd spill the beans on their employer. Also every last ambassador got their job either as a favour or to keep their mouth shut about something.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Really? You've never heard of people in high office covering their butts? If it didn't happen all the time, you might have a point. Alas, this is real life.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think RJP is right, Carrie blackmailing her way into station chief given everything else that has gone on around her and is known about her isn't realistic at all. It's not that there aren't plenty of examples of people getting positions due to favors or having something over someone else, its that I don't think she would be able to pull this off. The CIA director knows she's a wildcard and so I just don't think he'd trust her not to create some huge problem that would then be his fault for having put her there. I think if she tried to blackmail him the way she did, he'd take care of her some other way. She'd have an accident, or she'd be committed, or something.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I agree completely. But I'm still enjoying the hell out of this season regardless.

10. agentalbert

Me too.

11. agentalbert

I don't buy that the CIA director would have opened the door and given up that list if it was really so valuable. Even a director who is supposed to be a bit of a tool and interested in covering his butt (hence the also unrealistic way Carrie becomes station chief) would not be the guy to give up that info and then have to explain that to the president.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I found it unbelievable too, not only because of the supposed importance of the list, but also because this act of idealistic altruism goes completely against his established character. Instead I would have expected him to say **** you to the terrorists. They should have just waited them out and accept the collateral damage. Help was coming anyway and the terrorists would have been trapped inside the embassy. In fact, why didn't the help enter via the tunnel (of which they knew) and thus ambush the escaping terrorists?

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  13. Lonson

Yes even more to swallow this season. . . it's a pretty unrealistic show anyway. Plus, would he let Carrie bully him into giving her now five days? I really doubt it, but there's such a series of "I doubt that" that why not one more huge one.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The show is still an excellent hour of television despite the occasional overreach.

Humbuster likes this.
  15. Lonson

I'm still enjoying it but imo there's more than an occasional overreach, and it dilutes my enjoyment.

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agreed on both points. i'm really enjoying the show but am left wondering if i'd even bother watching it had i not been hooked with the first (excellent) season that has almost nothing to do with where we're at in season 4.

17. agentalbert

Exactly. There was no reason to think he would be the type to put himself in harms way by going out there and giving away the most important information in the embassy when he and it were safe inside the vault. They had to know the group of terrorists couldn't hold the embassy for very long. I really like Laila Robbins and think she is doing a great job with her part. She should have punched the director in the balls to keep him from opening that door, though. There's only two more episodes this season. But I guess the repercussions of that list getting handed over will likely be the focus of season 5. That or Carrie operating on her own to bring back Quinn. Which is all fine. As long as its not Carrie finding Dana Brody in a mosque in Islamabad and trying to prevent her from becoming a terrorist. If they bring Brody's kids back into this, I'm out.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  18. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Remember, this show starts with the ridiculous premise that Claire Danes is a CIA superhero. So, we're pretty much suspending disbelief right from the start. That said, I think this season has been fantastic and the past two episodes (particularly the one from two weeks ago) made for some of the most exciting, suspenseful television I've ever watched.

marcb and mmars982 like this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In my books, Claire Danes can do anything she wants!

20. I thought for a nano second that Saul might have said he'd stay and help Carrie, when she was seeing him off. Now that would have been a bad plot move.

It will be interesting to see what Carrie does on her own. Wonder if she has any contacts there, that can help her?

21. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Would it be too much to expect the asset info to be strongly encrypted anyway, such that the baddies can't access it?

22. Lonson

I bet in some incredulous hard to swallow way Quin and Carrie get the list back in the final episode.

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

She has Aasar Khan, who I could easily see helping her.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd leave 'the list' out in the wild for now and be the basis for the story in the next season.

25. Lonson

No, too many innocents would die. I think Carrie has to retrieve it to save Lockhart's bacon and really her own, it may reinstate her as a station chief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.