Poll: 1978 - Vote for your favorite UK/US number 1 single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Number one's that didn't make the poll ---

Too Much Too Little Too Late
    Boogie Oogie Oogie
    You Needed Me
    You Don't Bring Me Flowers
    Figaro
    Matchstalk Men & Matchstalk Cats & Dogs

I like pretty much everything on the list but "Wuthering Heights" is a clear #1.

Rounding out a top 5 ---

Grease
    Mary's Boy Child
    Take A Chance On Me
    Baby Come Back

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Miss You all the way.

3. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights...by a very large margin.

Starwanderer and ReadySteady like this.
  4. Brian Hamilton-Smith

Brian Hamilton-Smith Forum Resident

I don't like any of those records a great deal.

I'll opt for Uptown Top Ranking because, erm, I think it's the best.

Izozeles and Former member 30842 like this.
  5. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Wuthering Heights again !! Phew, glad to find Kate at the end of the list or i was going to have to vote for Three Times a Lady.

6. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I love these polls of #1 songs of individual years. The only thing that would make them better (for me, personally) is if there were notations on how many weeks each song was #1. I've been following the US charts for years, so I can usually remember how many weeks THEY were #1, but I know very little about the UK charts. Although, I think I do remember hearing that "You're The One That I Want" was #1 for 9 weeks in the UK (1 week here in the US).

7. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Baby Come Back is a great track..... but so is Miss You & With A Little Luck...oh and Kiss You All Over :shh:

theMess likes this.
  8. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I have to go with Night Fever. Miss You would be the obvious choice, but it's maybe my seventh favorite track off of Some Girls (which is the last great LP the Stones put out, and the first since Exile seven years earlier). Night Fever is really catchy and it captures the vibe and energy of Disco at its short-lived peak.

The high school version of me just punched me in the face. Or, more realistically, the high school version of me just made fun of me in a way that he could call it a "joke" if challenged, but was actually kinda dickish.

Easy-E likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I went for You're The One That I Want. Not just out of loyalty! I honestly think it was one of the best pop songs of the late 70s. It's just a shame it's been so over-exposed ever since...

With the 1982 list last week, I struggled to pick an outstanding #1. Not so here. There's at least half a dozen more I could have gone for had YTOTIW not been included. Stayin' Alive. With A Little Luck. Wuthering Heights. Baby Come Back. Shadow Dancing... All great songs and worthy #1's.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wuthering Heights for me also.

11. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I voted Wuthering Heights, but Le Freak runs it pretty close.

12. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Wuthering Heights. It still gives me chills.

13. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Too many great songs to pick just one. Kate Bush and anything brothers Gibb related for me.

14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

All the votes here for Wuthering Heights was pushing me to vote for it... but I didn't as I already had one in mind.

Great though WH is, Rat Trap what I went for as this would have been around the time that I was becoming aware of the top 40 charts, getting upset if someone 'turned the station over' (no channel changing remote control units, unless you were quite posh then - and everybody had just 3 tv channels too.) The Boomtown Rats were far too cool to me as a little lad then, and I'd do everything I could to get my hands on their singles... usually swaps! :D

Both quirky little numbers in their own way(s) though - pretty close this was.

15. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

"Miss You", although I like a lot of the others ones as well. Went to California the summer of '78 between sophomore year and junior year of college, and good memories with a number of those songs as the soundtrack.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think its a mostly atrocious list, with only the Stones, Abba and Rod Stewart numbers being tolerable. I voted for Abba.

17. spiral sea

spiral sea Well-Known Member

voted for Wuthering Heights.

in 1978 I would have voted for Dreadlock Holliday, loved that song and videoclip as a kid.

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Hot Child in the City

19. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I was totally estranged from the top 40 during this time period.

20. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

Wuthering Heights. I've heard about half of them, and I can't imagine any of the others being better than this. I like Kiss You All Over and Take a Chance On Me and can tolerate most of the ones I know. I was curious so I gave a first-time listen to Uptown Top Ranking; not bad, quite catchy.

22. That's a truly awful list. I voted for Kate Bush, the only halfways decent song on the list.

23. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Wow, what a great year!

Baby Come Back - Player
    Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
    Night Fever - Bee Gees
    If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman
    Miss You - Rolling Stones
    Grease - Franki Valli
    MacArthur Park - Donna Summer
    How Deep Is Your Love - Bee Gees

All great songs. I never get tired of hearing any of these.

24. stever

stever Senior Member

High school senior. That was a long time ago. I love most of those songs. I voted for, Grease!

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

aBbA
    Ten years earlier
    The Beatles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.