Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest: How do you rate it after all these years?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Freedom Rider, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's still the same to me...I like it.

2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

The "plot holes" add to the movie. Hitch is just saying, this is hokum, but high class hokum. I think the most entertaining movie I've ever seen.

3. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

The kid holding his ears has to be the greatest flub in movie-making history.

rockerreds, Mark E. Moon and lbangs like this.
  4. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

Great movie. Love it.

The one thing I've always wondered about is the weird way Cary Grant uses his hands when he and Eva Marie Saint are kissing and hugging (especially when he holds her head) . Something odd about that and it always draws my attention.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Still enormously entertaining from beginning to end. It works perfectly at two and a quarter hours, and I would not want to stretch it out any longer by wasting even one additional second to fill in any plot holes about which I do not care. :)

guy incognito, jupiterboy and wave like this.
  6. Best dialogue ever in a movie, bar none. For example:
    [Thornhill is wearing sunglasses to hide his identity]
    Ticket Seller: Something wrong with your eyes?
    Roger Thornhill: Yes, they're sensitive to questions.

Plot holes? Who cares!

7. scotto

scotto Senior Member

One of my favorites and possibly my most-watched Hitchcock film.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

plot holes, schplot holes. Any film that climaxes with the principals climbing around on Mt. Rushmore follows its own 'logic'.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member Thread Starter

The one scene that always stands out to me is the elevator scene ("You gentlemen aren't really trying to kill my son, are you?"). That whole situation is just so much like a fragment of a bad twisted dream - you know, when something absurdly embarrassing happens, and you can't do anything about it? And that whole elevator laughing with only Thornhill keeping a straight face - great scene!

Vidiot and guy incognito like this.
  10. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Thanks Mr. Rider, once I got on this thread, I had to watch the movie again (it had been on my rewatch list for the last month anyway). A couple of new things hit me, one is that the police desk sgt is the gunman from Bullitt. I love all the stock actors Hitchcock used, like the guy working the train ticket office.
    One thing I always noticed & wondered about but forget til the next viewing, what's with the hard of hearing guy at Thornhill's table in the beginning?
    Pretty risque stuff for the times, the come ons leading to or referring to sex, the homosexual innuendos and last but not least the train entering the tunnel at the end always makes me laugh, as does James Mason's dialgue at the auction. I even love the way he says Rapid City, South Dakota.
    Nice way to finish off Thanksgiving.

Freedom Rider likes this.
  11. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I assume you mean on the train.

I watched this the other day and thought about that too. I figured he didn't want to mess her hair up.

Also, in the Making Of documentary on my DVD, they say that Hitch liked to circle the camera around the actors during intimate scenes or scenes where people are sizing each other up. Since the train berth was so small, the actors circled instead of the camera.

12. Freedom Rider

I've seen the film twice but this detail never caught my attention. Same with the kid holding his ears - I just watched it on Youtube. Wow!:)

Paul J likes this.
  13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've noticed the hard-of-hearing guy too and have wondered about it for years. Can't imagine what that was about.

Harry

Paul J likes this.
  14. wave

wave Forum Resident

I've also never, never heard anyone pronounce Detroit as suavely as he does.

Paul J likes this.
  15. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Fantastic classic.

jupiterboy likes this.
  16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

My favorite Hitchcock movie and one of my all-time favorites period.

17. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

No one mentioned the young Martin Landau as an evil henchman who would have fit into a Bond movie. It's still a wonderfully entertaining movie after all these years. Whenever I happen to see it, I get pulled right in again. Maybe not my favorite Hitchcock movie, although certainly near the top, but probably the most enjoyable.

guy incognito, Old Rusty and Vidiot like this.
  18. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

:agree: Usually when somebody says "DEE-troit", it comes across as hickish. Mason is absolutely anything but.

wave likes this.
  19. Martin Landau rocks! That guy was so under-rated it's not even funny. Until 'Ed Wood' of course...
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001445/awards

20. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The opening credit sequence by Saul Bass, with Bernard Herrmann's thrilling score, is quite possibly the best ever.

21. Freedom Rider

Yep, along with Vertigo!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Karloff? Karloff didn't deserve to smell my ****!

Old Rusty and guy incognito like this.
  23. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

One last (?) note, ever notice how much Michael York sounds like James Mason?

24. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

If it weren't for Grant I would never watch any of this movie anymore. Way overrated in my mind. Wish it had been done completely tongue-in-cheek, as I might have then enjoyed the many contrived scenes. I thought that Hitchcock's tv series was far better done as a whole, compared to his movie catalog, not to say he didn't have have some outstanding movies though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.