Recommend me a new stereo intergrated amp under $500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tyler Eaves, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident Thread Starter

So for my home office/computer setup is crying out for some new amplification. For the past 15 years or so, I've had an old Pioneer VR-400 series 5.1 receiver from one of those home theater in a box kits. It's done it's duty dependably all these years but all the rest of my kit is defiantly held back from it. I'm basically using it as a way over complicated input switcher, power amp, and volume knob./

Inputs need: 2x RCA... one for output from my phono preamp, and a second for the output from my DAC (One of those Chinese "Zero" DAC/Headamp combos). I'm not wedded to the DAC.....if something has an integrated that's just as good I'd be happy to drop it in...

The speakers I'm using a pair of Polk RT 800i floor standers. They're pretty efficient (90db) and not far away (approx 5ft).

This system gets left on 24 hours a day, and is actively used for 12-15 hours a day so tube gear is, unfortunately off the radar.

So, suggestions? Ideally $300-400 range, I might go up to 5 or a hair over, but I'd need a pretty compelling reason to.

2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

A used Rega Brio-R is about $600. New it's $999 and still one of the best bargains in audio. Comes with a great phono stage, 5 inputs so a DAC will hook right up and will drive a lot of speakers with 50 watts @ 8 Ohms. Definitely worth it if you can stretch your budget.

shutdown66 and Ntotrar like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The nicest sounding integrated I've heard was an Audio Analogue Puccini. I think $300-$400 would score you a used one.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    TraneLives, gingerly and bhazen like this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

bhazen likes this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

New: Marantz PM5005 $500 or PM6005 for $700 if you want an inbuilt DAC.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  7. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I would definitely go used. That is a tough price range to work with. If you are feeling daring, you could consider contacting Mapleshade. There was one year in the 60's when Scott made a good sounding solid state amp. I bought one for my girl friend. I think it was around your price range and sounded quite good. It is not on the Mapleshade site, as I recall. You will need to call.

TraneLives likes this.
  8. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Yamaha AS500. I just picked one up for $360

9. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

NAD C316 BEE, about $350-$375.

betweentheears likes this.
  10. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

11. Tyler Eaves

I gotta say that right now I might just try to save up another month or two and just get the Rega, if I don't see one used.

beowulf, Ntotrar and bhazen like this.
  12. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Wise man. :righton:

Ntotrar likes this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The Rega is a great unit.

14. Tyler Eaves

Trigger pulled on the Rega...only m,oney. Hopefully this will keep me happy for another 15 years.

15. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

AMC xia come to mind.

[edit] looks like i was too late.

16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes he's lost his soul to Essex.

thommo likes this.
  17. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I've tried cambridge audio, nad, musical fidelity, jolida and audio refinement in my system. All can be had at this price if you buy used.
    The best I've heard is the Audio Refinement. Mates extremely well with my Triangle speakers. Highly recommended

18. Tyler Eaves

I'm already running a Rega TT, so I crossed over into the dark side a long time ago...

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I almost went with a used Rega Brio last year, but in the end I settled for the Marantz PM6005 and I'm very happy.

bhazen, Colin M and Erik Tracy like this.
  20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I know it's too late now (and this suggestion busts the budget) but as a p.s., I've been lusting after the upcoming PS Audio Sprout integrated amp.

[​IMG]

TraneLives likes this.
  21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Best of luck with the Rega, I think you will like it, I really like mine.

22. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I love how someone sets a price limit and then people start recommending things $2oo or more over his price. :laugh:

Stone Turntable, Badnruin and ralphk like this.
  23. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I recently bought the Yamaha AS-501 for 350 euro which is roughly 435 dollars. The difference between this and the AS-500 (mentioned above) is the addition of optical and coaxial digital connections as well as the usual analogue ones and, according to reviews, an overall improvement on an award-winning amp.

I am really pleased with this amp but it is on the bright side. I don't want to re-start the old argument about burning in new amplifiers, but after about three weeks, this machine was sounding real sweet, with plenty of power.

My speakers are very mediocre so I may not be the best judge in this case, but the amp has tone controls and a useful variable loudness knob which I use without any guilt! (If your conscience is bothering you, there is a defeat switch which totally removes all of the effects of the dreaded bass, treble and loudness.)

It's rated at 85 watts per channel, RMS, but some reviews have suggested that Yamaha are being modest. It can rise to 120 watts for peaks and the average output is nearer 100 watts.

It's a powerful beast and with good speakers it should work very well.
    Don't trust me but read some reviews of this and its predecessor, the AS-500. Some good deals on this have been mentioned above and it would be a good option if you are not too pushed about digital connections.

24. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

And state "new" and are immediately told to buy used!;)

inperson and ralphk like this.
  25. Tyler Eaves

And then you end up spending $400 more than it ;)

inperson and Ntotrar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.