Guilty Displeasures... (Those adored acts you just don't like!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Overall just about every metal band with screaming or yelled vocals as the primary style. I basically stopped being into metal when every modern metal band seemed to be using them and brickwalling the music at the same time. Unbearable.

I don't get the popularity of Adele, to me, she is a third rate Joss Stone, Beverley Knight or Imelda May. Rolling In The Deep was quite a good song but everything else I've heard of hers was unremarkable. Amy Winehouse at least had a distinctive voice.

Beastie Boys and Kanye West are annoying rappers IMO, regardless of using good samples. If they stuck to production that would be ok.

I don't outright hate Radiohead but for me they are only fit for listening to when extremely depressed, and it sort of baffles me that so many people think they're the best band to listen to any time, or even the best band of the decade.

I guess it depends. Even though I'd heard all the Sex Pistols stuff before I got into The Clash, The Clash just immediately grabbed me and became my favorites - they were deeper than all the other punk band due to their variety of influences, their feel good grooves, and the fact there was intelligence in the lyrics. The only punk band who I hold on a similar level to The Clash is X, who were obviously Clash influenced and have a similar rockabilly groove to some of their music. As for The Jam I can't shake the image of Paul Weller as this unexciting Britpop guy, so The Jam never seem that cool to me, even though I like a few of the songs. I wouldn't turn them off though and I'd like to like them.

Along those lines I've never gotten the Ramones. Aside from being seen as the first punk band (though they weren't), having an identifiable voice and image, and having 2 minute songs about things, they strike me as very average. I don't know anyone who is really into them so they seem like a similar phenomenon to Kiss where they are big in the US, but everywhere else mostly known for advertising. It may just be that they are one of those bands who have influenced better bands. I like two Ramones songs, "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "I Just Want Something To Do", primarily because of the lyrics.

I have a ton of Zappa but much of his music is quite soulless. It is whimsical humor over seriously thought out music with too many random tempo changes and almost no grooves. Because of this, he rarely has anything that makes you really feel emotionally connected to the music, since even his ballads are usually parodic. Beefheart has a ton that does, IMO, primarily because of his focused blues influence. That's not to say I don't like Zappa, but I think of his music as something warm and vibrant that can fill a room when you're alone, which I suspect is why he has such a following. The best albums of his are Freak Out and Overnite Sensation, IMO.

I am open to hearing everything and I like to find something good in everything, but I don't always. There are things I like not many others get. Just the way it is.

bleachershane likes this.
  2. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Ah well:hide: ( can't abide 'em) :hide:

3. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

Soulless is a pretty good description of my feelings on Zappa. While I can appreciate his musicianship, I need more than that. Probably why most prog is hit and miss for me. Without some emotional connection it's endless noodling to me. But the stuff that does connect I quite like.

4. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

Yes most do, but acts like the Eagles, Seger, Skynyrd, Michael Jackson, and Kiss are in the RRHOF. Of those only Kiss are widely hated by critics. The Eagles are the most played artist on classic rock radio and are easily one of my top 5 loathed artist. Bland, boring egomaniacs but the masses love them.

SpudOz likes this.
  5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Here's a little more context behind my thoughts on The Clash, if it's of interest, from a blog post I wrote last year :) - http://oobujoobu-andrew.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/a-difficult-clash.html

6. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident Thread Starter

OobuJoobu likes this.
  7. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Totally with you there. I liked some individual songsbut could never figure out why they were/are revered by so many people. I was put off early when I got the first Clash album and heard Janie Jones. But I liked a lot of punk - Pistols, Adverts, Buzzcocks, Jam and especially the Stranglers.

bleachershane and OobuJoobu like this.
  8. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

zappa
    sinatra
    kiss

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I added to the list. I don't need your advice.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Too bad. You got it. :righton:

11. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Muse - not entirely sure why, but never got into them. I like a couple of their singles but just doesn't move me.
    Arctic Monkeys- not enough melodic, or emotional content for my tastes. Just sounds like a load of grooves and riffs plus clever lyrics, and I don't listen to music simply for its lyrical content.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

Most of the adored acts Rolling Stone Rag pushes. Weird. More or less, it's like a gang I want nothing to do with. lol

bleachershane and c-eling like this.
  13. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

The Doors... blech!

Regandron and bleachershane like this.
  14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Wait, is this a different thread than all the other "Bands everybody likes and I hate so get me" threads we've had here? Over time they've all kind of fused into an indistinguishable blob to me, like Steely Dan albums or something :)

15. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Grateful Dead - I understand the appeal, but not my thing. Everything sounds the same to me.
    Muse - Can't get past the singer's voice.
    Spock's Beard - MOR of prog. To me it seems they rely mostly on other band's riffs. Overblown & generic.
    Journey - Bland, bland, bland.
    AC/DC - Again, I can appreciate what they do, but after being inundated by their stuff in university I just can't listen to them anymore.
    The Eagles - Never understood their mass appeal. Nice songs, but ultimately boring.

16. bleachershane

Every time I happen to hear a Muse song the first and only thing that comes to mind is "God, he wishes so much that he could sing like Jeff Buckley..."

17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I don't usually take part in the negative threads. But this one doesn't seem to be too hateful.

Can't think of one song by the Dave Matthews Band I like. Same with the Counting Crows. Don't care for the Dead. Or Kiss. Or Bon Jovi. I won't spend any time actively despising any of these bands. I mostly spend my days not really considering them at all.

18. bleachershane

It was most certainly not meant to be a hateful thread and thankfully it doesn't seem to have descended into that! :)
    That's a good point, I don't actively hate most, if any of the bands I mentioned. I just don't click with them, and where I have tried to initiate myself I just don't bother now. Well, in most cases. Time has told me that very often something that didn't click with me ten, fifteen years ago can suddenly switches on. I recently started to enjoy some King Crimson. I never, ever expected that to happen through my past experiences!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Radiohead. I think The Bends is quite a nice album, but I hate everything else I have heard. I've heard everything but King Of Limbs.

20. bleachershane

I'm a huge Radiohead fan and I really have struggled with King of Limbs. But good call on "The Bends", I've been listening to that a fair bit this week now that I've been granted access to having music while I do my day job ;)

21. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

We have a thread similar to this one on a fairly regular basis, and Radiohead usually "wins", though it looks like Zappa might take the crown this time round!

I admit I'm fairly "meh" as far as Radiohead is concerned. A good friend absolutely adores them but it just doesn't rub off on me. Seeing them live didn't really help either: the friend in question thought it was a stunning concert while I was bored to tears. Different strokes and all...

Moonbeam Skies and bleachershane like this.
  22. bleachershane

Saw them live in Glasgow around the time of "In Rainbows". Whilst I was having a near euphoric experience (no chemicals required!) my partner was bored off their head. I assumed seeing them live would've been an epiphany moment for them. It wasn't!

wgriel likes this.
  23. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yes, that's kind of what this situation was like. I should say that I don't hate Radiohead or anything like that, but their music doesn't really connect with me, certainly not the way it connects with this friend of mine.

24. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

+1, and I'll add occasionally corny

+1

And I'll add Stevie Ray Vaughan

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Beach Boys, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Madonna

Thread Status: