Cocteau Twins Best Album & Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CupOfDreams, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any fans here? The Cocteau Twins have long been a favorite of mine. Atmospheric dream pop with swirling guitars, perhaps one of the bands that would inspire the Shoegaze movement. The band was active about 15 years releasing 9 albums and a ton of EPs and singles. Any faves?

2. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

One of my favourite bands, Heaven or Las Vegas, is one of my all time Top 5 albums and I still play it most weeks.

I've been using various Squeezeboxes around the house including a Transporter in my main system for over 10 years and according to the database my most played album is Heaven or Las Vegas, which has been played in excess of 800 times :eek:

JeffMo, Steve B, jamesc and 2 others like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Can't vote, like em all in there own way :)

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is my favorite by them as well, but I have played it a bit less than you!

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Can't vote either....
    One could argue; it's a GREAT catalogue!

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

When I was a kid, my brother used to say that Victorialand was a perfect album to fall asleep to. More than twenty years later, I still consider that to be true. It's not my intention to say that is boring, not at all. It's relaxing and capable of taking me to a beautiful and cloudy place full of trees, don't ask me why. I simply love it.

JeffMo, willy, williwoods and 5 others like this.
  7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I am (so far) the only voter for Blue Bell Knoll.

I think that their whole catalog is great and my favorite overall might be the EP The Pink Opaque which was not an option :)

Steve B, spindly and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  8. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

'Treasure' is a real treasure in our modern music!

ARK, HiFi Guy 008, jamesc and 2 others like this.
  9. CupOfDreams

Yes I love that one too. Just listed the proper LPs as they have so many EPs.

whaleyboy likes this.
  10. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

I love all the 4AD albums, though Treasure is my least favourite from that era. The production - mainly that clanging drum machine, renders much of it unlistenable. I voted for Victorialand, but Garlands and Head Over Heels are also favourites.
    The Fontana albums don't do much for me, unfortunately.

11. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

"Heaven or Las Vegas" is sheer bliss. That's all I have to say.

JeffMo, October Man and Steve B like this.
  12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Like many others I love all of these in their own way but if I absolutely had to choose one it would be Head Over Heels.

That said, I do tend to listen to the near perfect run of EPs far more often these days. What an outstanding run those were. Amazing.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That would have been my #2 choice. I'll be surprised if the final two get many (if any) votes.

HiFi Guy 008 and whaleyboy like this.
  14. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I voted Head Over Heels but really I don't think they put a foot wrong between Garlands and Blue Bell Knoll. I'm more of a fan of the EPs really too - Echoes In A Shallow Bay is a particular fave.

15. chilab17

chilab17 Forum Resident

Tough choices! I first heard of them with "Head Over Heels" so that one has the most meaning to me. "Treasure" was one that I played for the most people to get them interested. But I probably play "The Moon and the Melodies" the most. I had the "Tiny Dynamite"/"Echoes In a Shallow Bay" cd years ago and "The Pink Opaque" collection but someone liberated them from my collection.

Call me removed from it all (or ignorant) but what is "Shoegaze"?

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  16. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

Despite the unfortunate drum machine, Treasure will always be my favourite. Something about Liz Fraser's melodic invention on that album makes it stand above the others for me. Though some wonderful pieces exist elsewhere too - Spanglemaker, Rococo, Gold Dust Rush, parts of Blue Bell Knoll.

17. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Pretty much agree with that assessment. Treasure is where it all came together. Love the drum machine too!

Chance likes this.
  18. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Hmm, mixed feeling about the use of drum machines here, but I'm used to these of the Cocteau Twins. Still I would have loved the fact they had used from the start a drummer of real flesh and blood as part of their rhythm section :)

Lilainjil likes this.
  19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I don't think it would have worked with a real drummer. The drum machine is integral to the Cocteau sound.

bleachershane likes this.
  20. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Because we're used to that, only because of that :)

21. CupOfDreams

BTW I voted Head Over Heels. Garlands was my first purchase, then a couple of EPs (which are all great) but Head Over Heels is the one I come back to the most. The only one I'm lukewarm on is the last album. All the others I still listen to quite a bit.

22. katywu

katywu Forum Resident

Always liked the Cocteau Twins but only have Treasure in my collection.......anyway just purchased Heaven or Las Vegas on the back of this thread, it was a toss up between that and Head Over Heels. Might be growing the collection very soon:)

bleachershane and JeffMo like this.
  23. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Heaven or Las Vegas and Treasure would be my picks but I'd also like to add The Pink Opaque. Even though it's only a compilation it's as good as their best studio albums in my opinion.

24. marke

marke Forum Resident

Heaven or Las Vegas just beats out Treasure for me. Blue Bell Knoll is a stand out too.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  25. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I love the band, great band from the excellent 4AD label.
    I vote for Victorialand , this beautiful album has strong dreamy atmosphere . Listening to the album makes me feel that I walk in a mysterious Forest covered in fog , the music is magical and connects perfectly to Elizabeth Fraser angelic voice.

From Victorialand

Cocteau Twins - How To Bring A Blush To The Snow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.