New Bryan Ferry album "Avonmore" to be released in November 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You just decided that I'm going to buy this tonight after my work is over:)

bocaymon and Turntable like this.
  2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I just bought the album as well after seeing him on Later with... Jools Holland. I was hooked on the first track off the album played here...

There is nothing new or original about the new album, but it is infectious and entertaining and it's been on my turntable all week, so that's a good sign!

JG

PS: My pressing is flat and very quiet! Also there is a CD of the album and a nice cardboard pic of the front cover inside as well.

RobGordon35 likes this.
  3. James Glennon

MS (Miles Showell) has a good reputation so that's good enough for me, not as familiar with FA (Frank Arkwright)!

JG

Turntable likes this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I thought that was a fantastic performance.

bocaymon and James Glennon like this.
  5. James Glennon

There's a great groove to the sound! Guitar solo is great!

JG

6. Neonbeam

So great...went to three stores...vinyl sold out everywhere:( At least I tried;)

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

8. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Se, it seems to me he's singing more audibly here. Like this :)

9. Neonbeam

bocaymon likes this.
  10. Howis the mastering n the CD?

11. Neonbeam

I wonder what's going on because every store I went to had the vinyl on backorder. Good for Bryan then that this apparently is selling VERY well. I finally found some copies in a shop I - and apparently other buyers too ;) - normally would never go to. Hopefully the label won't let this go oop so soon...

12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Agree about the standard of the lyrics: cliched and bland for the most part (unfortunately). This is all the more apparant when a song comes along that actually has something to say, i.e. the excellent Bring in the Clowns and Jonny and Mary. And once again Ferry's 'overcooking' in the production department means that a potentially great track like Loop de Li loses it's 'pulse'/ 'hook' under a wave of guitars, all getting in each other's way and competing for your attention. I'm delighted that the man is busier than ever, and it was great seeing him in concert a few weeks ago before the laryngitis hit, but I'm not kidding myself that Avonmore is a classsic.

13. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I listened casually twice on NPR, very nostalgic sounding (in a good way), with understated vocals from Bryan Ferry, it reminded me to spin Avalon again (which I must have played a thousand times over the years).
    There were a couple of unsuccessful tracks that definitely put me off buying Avonmore, a pity.

14. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I love the endless overdubs. It creates this sonic wash that has great detail if you want to listen to it that way, but the sheer business becomes its own element. The dizzying overload somehow manages to be smooth on the surface, like the man himself. A quick glance shows this suave gentleman who has everything together, but inside is a barely controlled storm of confusion that acts as a mask to hide behind.

That might sound like spin doctoring and overreaching, but listening to it from that perspective has endeared this album to me in ways I never expected.

Max Florian, maxnix and Stephenesque like this.
  15. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

This sounds much better live than on the record. No surprise really: there's not so much going on competing for your attention, which means you can actually hear the song. It was the same with Olympia. I thought songs like 'You Can Dance' and 'Song to the Siren' were so much better live.

16. timo11

timo11 Forum Resident

The rest of his european tour is cancelled due to health problems. It will be rescheduled in 2015.
    I had front row tickets for Stuttgart :shake::shake:

I hope he will get better soon.

17. James Glennon

I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately I have found that as well, saw Dead Weather on Jools Holland bought the LP and it was as dead as a duck compared to the live version.

JG

PS: It doesn't stop me from enjoying the LP all the same!

18. Neonbeam

OMG...this is one lavish piece of vinyl! Glossy, heavy gatefold and inner, an artprint, a CD and a shiny solid record.

After the hype surrounding "Olympia"'s vinyl edition I thought "Avonmore"'s lowkey vinyl release meant we were getting a shoddy, loveless EU job. Couldn't have been more wrong! Now I know why this is sold out...

19. Hello....? I couldn't find any dr values nor comments about sou d quality about the CD. Is this badly compressed like the previous release?

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It is indeed. Personally speaking, it is my favorite from the new album.

21. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

The CD has an average DR of 11, so not too bad for a modern mastering. That said, it sounds like a muddy mess - not enough bottom end and hissy drums throughout. Compared to BF's 80's albums like "Boys & Girls", the difference is like night and day. Maybe the vinyl is the way to go here.

RobGordon35 likes this.
  22. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Ah.... Boys & Girls! :) (heads off to listen to LP)

ippudo likes this.
  23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

How does the vinyl sound compared to the CD? I'm listening to the CD now and it sounds lousy, very compressed and lacking dynamic range. Can you offer a Ferry fan some hope for good sounding vinyl?

24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

BAD!

25. James Glennon

I don't listen to CD so I can't comment! I am enjoying the music, the sound (recording) wouldn't be to my taste, but the music wins out!

Johnny Marr ( a good guitarist) is credited on the sleeve, but it is hard to notice what his contribution was because his guitar is buried in the mix.

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.