Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

FYI

Hastings has Somewhere in Time & s/t on sale for $11.82 + $1.29 shipping = $13.11

I know, I know, their packaging isn't ideal, but in my experience they're good for returns/refunds
    if there's a problem.

Just FYI

2. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

is that the original issue silver cd (non-remaster)?

3. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

also, is shipping local to the United States?

4. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

new remastered Vinyl and USA shipping

5. Bump. I would still like to know if the US pressing has the same flaws, if someone could check please.

6. Yes, I think it sounds very nice. I only compared it to the old CD, but it was a nice upgrade in my opinion.

johnny q likes this.
  7. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

This deal is no more.

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I just got my SIT today, US pressing. I don't hear the same issues as your posted needledrops. I am going to listen again just to be sure, but I certainly would have noticed that tape drag issue as heard in your needledrop.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Can someone with the 2014 SSOASS let me know how Bruce's sibilants sound to you?? The "Essses" in the title track are jarring me....I am going to check my original vinyl and cd next to see if it was simply recorded this way.

ian christopher likes this.
  10. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I noticed them too. I wouldn't have called them 'jarring' but noticeable enough that I figured I would compare to my original vinyl and CD as well. I haven't done that yet.

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming that, at least I know I am not hearing things. Perhaps "jarring" was me being a bit of a drama queen :) but it certainly caught my attention. Other than that I like the sound - it has more body than my US original. I just played SIT and same goes for that one as well although I felt SIT really needed a good cranking to come alive. Both seem like good pressings, no issues with scratches or warps.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  12. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Hmm, why would the US and EU presses of SIT feature different 'masters'? I'm not an expert on Analog presses but surely they would just play back the tape once and cut one lacquer?

13. That is good to know. I decided to order a US vinyl copy of this Album, although I wanted to have only the EU Releases at first.

14. The 2014 EU and US pressings for TNOTB are also different. And so are the EU and US pressings for Killers. Maybe others are different as well.

15. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I no longer have the EU original 3 box set, but I do remember thinking both S/T albums sounding about the same and the US Killers and TNOTB discs sounding a tad better. I do have the EU SIT and SSOASS coming in next week, so I'll see if I have the same issues with SIT and if needed het the US version.

In the end I guess I'll have a hybrid set in the box. The filling of this box has been interesting so far!

16. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I've just listened to some 2014 EU Killers tracks compared to UK original 1981 LP (both gathered from the aether, so I can't comment on their provenance) - the UK sounds very bright in comparison, but not necessarily better or worse. The 2014 EU on my system sounds very muddy in comparison, but also the bass guitar and bass drum come out more. On the other hand, all cymbals and vocals are pushed back. It sounds like a blanket frequency dampening, if that's the right word; as if all frequencies over a certain threshold are held back. So I'm leaning towards not liking it.. the best for me would something between these two.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  17. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

How come there are differences? They are all cut at Abbey Road right?

18. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

They are the same masters but were cut at different places so the cutting engineer could have made mistakes. Like on TNOTB US they may have had the wrong Dolby NR on and on SIT the tape could have had problems going through the machine when they were cutting it in the EU but not in the US.

19. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Huh, is was under the impression Abbey Road cut laquers and sent them to Optimal and URP.
    You mean they sent master-tapes around the world for this? That's not even cost-effective.

20. Mij Retrac

Can't tell you what they did. I can only tell you that it's obvious that at least some of the albums were cut in different places.

21. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

They could still all be made by Abbey Road.

They have to make laqours for both UK and US so the differences could well be in alignments. If for example tape-drag occured for the U.K run tape could be fine for US run.

Anybody done comparison on SIT?

22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

That's my thinking too. Why would they send original tapes across the pond, but not only that, why would they want to potentially damage them by playing them through more than once? Surely to make any kind of logical sense, they would have played the tapes through 1 time, cut 1 lacquer/stamper and then use that to press all copies.

Nobody overseeing the cutting of the lacquer? Maybe they just hit play and left the room! ;)

Also, did nobody bother listening to the test presses of these? Surely the faults should have been picked up.

Something doesn't seem right about all this.

23. Can you tell us why you think this is the case?

24. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Do you mean like this in post #933?

"I just got my SIT today, US pressing. I don't hear the same issues as your posted needledrops. I am going to listen again just to be sure, but I certainly would have noticed that tape drag issue as heard in your needledrop."

I have the EU version coming one day next week and ordered the US version a few hours ago just in case.

25. Mij Retrac

That wouldn't explain the sound quality difference on TNOTB. They were done in different places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.