Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Can't wait for the full trailer.

bru87tr likes this.
  2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think the one thing I'm most intrigued about with the new movie is hopefully seeing Harrison Ford actually bother to act for the first time in 25 years.

PROG U.K. and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't recall anyone ever suggesting the film would be "all" practical effects. I don't think anyone has spoken in much specifics beyond variations of "JJ Abrams reportedly wants the film to evoke the original trilogy and thus will use more real location sets and practical effects."

In other words, this probably amounts mostly to not going the Lucas route of filming simple dialogue scenes in front of a green screen, and probably more use of in-frame physical props and sets.

The same thing appears to have happened with the recent "Jurassic World" trailer. The director on that one is reportedly a fan of using physical models/animatronic, etc. in addition to undoubtedly plenty of CGI. The trailer that was just released appears to have mostly if not entirely CGI dinosaurs. It's what probably "pops" for the trailers more.

Deesky, bru87tr and Halloween_Jack like this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Even my brother who doesn't give a flip about Star Wars went "whoa" when the Falcon shot came on.

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

General Madine?

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

No. Clearly Hammerhead (as I will *always* know him).

7. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'm not holding my breath on that one. Be reasonable man!

daglesj likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm just glad that George Lucas won't be writing or directing it.

9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hammerhead, General Madine and Dengar should join forces...

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The Falcon has deflector shields. Tie Fighters don't. Clearly the Falcon's pilot should steer directly at them. We never really saw that tactic in the original trilogy. Hope they try it here.

bru87tr likes this.
  11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Mind. Blown.

bru87tr likes this.
  12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

We kinda did. Admiral Ackbar moved the Rebel fleet to within point-blank range of Imperial Star Destroyers to make it harder for the Death Star to lock in on its targets.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Ah, but we never saw Tie Fighters shattering on the Falcon's shields like insects on a windshield.

bru87tr and mikeyt like this.
  14. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

It's a teaser, it's supposed to be short.

bru87tr likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    bru87tr and DeeThomaz like this.
  16. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I see a little bit of everything in this trailer. Look at the detail and colors. Some of the ships looked very real. Must be some nifty photography. Although, that rolling artoo unit didn't look like a practical effect. Oh no! I sound like THEM!

17. Jar-Jar, the cowbell of the Star Wars universe.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I AM TEASED

JuanTCB and Laservampire like this.
  19. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I'm a huge fan boy, and I have huge expectations for this film. I think (hopefully) that it's going to harken back to the OT. I admit, I got goosebumps when I saw the X Wings over the water, the Falcon, and the Sith lightsaber. However, I also got goosebumps when I saw trailers for the Prequels, too. And those ended up being, apart from the last half of Sith, not very good. So while I'm excited for this movie and I think this trailer was great, there's still a long way to go in terms of if it's going to live up to the originals.

bru87tr and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I agree, when I saw the first prequel trailer in the theater, the audience (and I) went nuts. That being said, so far I like this new trailer very, very, very much!! Very.

Grunge Master likes this.
  21. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I loved it! I think J.J. has done some great work in the past (Super 8) and even though the Star Trek films are completely out of left field, they were a whole lotta fun! I was so happy that he was announced to be the director for the first film in the new trilogy because he has a sense of fun in his films (like the old Star Wars films had) as well as a sense of wonder (like old Spielberg films). It's a perfect match and I really can't wait for next christmas!

sparkydog and bluenote like this.
  22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

+1

Lucas was great for coming up with the story, but he sucked at writing the screenplay and directing. That's part of whAt made the prequels awful, along with all of the CGI...which removed almost all traces of organic 'feel' which the original trilogy had.

bru87tr and Grunge Master like this.
  23. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Meh, I was disappointed : the teaser starts with a whimper (some black guy we've never seen jumps into the frame, some girl we've never seen rides a weird bike), and I wanted to see some of the old actors. The villain strikes an evil pose for no reason in the middle of a forest, and his tacky light saber screams "we had to one-up the villain's double lightsaber from The Phantom Menace".

24. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

In my opinion, over the years the only trailers that still hold up from the Prequels are the ones from ROTS. The first one especially, where Vader rises up on the table, was pretty mind blowing. Although, it probably would have been better if they didn't show Vader in anything leading up to the movie, to save the suspense. I mean, I was actually pretty bummed that Vader's suit looked the same. You would think that it would've had some major changes over 20 years.

25. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

oh wow! J. J. Abrams is the director? Creator of Fringe and Almost Human.... I'm game! For me - many of the shots looked like a quality computer game... too irreal that is. The saber with a laser garde looks stupid though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.