New Sufjan Stevens Christmas Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Has anyone received their replacement copy of Volume 7 yet?

2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Yes, I did about a week ago.

3. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Thanks

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

mine showed up a couple of days ago...media mail, so they'll slowly get where they are going.

5. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Got mine on Thursday, I think it was. Played perfectly.

6. sundayboy

sundayboy Forum Resident

I have not. To boot, I ordered directly from AK and submitted my info before the deadline.

7. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Mine haven't arrived yet; I was told on 6 June international orders were still shipping out while domestic orders had all been shipped. Contact [email protected] if you need more information.

8. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Bryan likes this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wonder if Sufjan will ever press Vols. 1-5 on vinyl.

He also still needs to press "A Sun Came" and "The Avalanche."

The fact that they finally pressed "Enjoy Your Rabbit" makes me think it's not so impossible.

Satchidananda and JMAC like this.
  10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Nice lyrical reference.

11. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

I just discovered that this exists and love the first box. Generally, I strip it down to just the originals and that's pretty much my only X-Mas music playlist.

That playlist just doubled, sweet!

linclink likes this.
  12. Satchidananda

There's an Asthmatic Kitty rep with a reddit account and posts occasionally on the vinyl subreddit about new releases. I had a brief exchange with her last year and asked about vol. 1-5 on vinyl. She said it has been discussed and then asked whether a box set or individual releases were preferred. So I know it's on their radar.

JMAC likes this.
  13. Satchidananda

Vol 6-10 are quite different. I'm learning to like them. Much more electronic/weird.

14. My absolute fave Xmas music ever!!! I put together reshuffled CD's myself & while my faves are the CD-R's of his originals, I do also have CD-R's of his great covers (which are up there with "A Christmas Gift For You", the Phil Spector produced various artists Xmas collection...)

15. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

This is up on Asthmatic Kitty's site for 20% off if anyone still needs it. I snagged one of the vinyl boxes. It still says limited to 2,000 so I'm not sure how they're selling it? I thought it was sold out.

linclink likes this.
  16. sundayboy

sundayboy Forum Resident

I stood in line for 3-hours the morning of Black Friday to get this box set. Man, was it ever worth it. I already had very clean first pressings of three of the four LP's in the box (could never find a suitable On The Beach) that I've been spinning for a few years, but the reissues here are noticeably superior. I hear little things I missed before - stellar amp buzz and all. Listening to these pressings has been uplifting in ever way. I feel connected to these tunes like never before. If you're hesitating - don't. Who knows if the subsequent individual pressings will be as good as the Pallas pressings in this box. As for the numbered, non-numbered business - just get the box the best way you can as the records are all pressed at Pallas, and thus, the same across every box. Note: yes, you'll run into possible glue issues on some of the jackets (my Tonight's The Night had an edge where the glue line was lifted - this was easily remedied by slowly lifting the glue line and re-aligning the binding and clipping it shut for a few minutes.) DON'T BE DENIED - GET ONE!

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Cool. I think it would only make sense as a boxset. That's how it was released on CD, anyways. Given the much shorter length of Volumes 1-5, I think a 10" box set would work very nice.

Satchidananda likes this.
  18. Satchidananda

Good comment for a good thread, but not this one.

19. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Got mine in the mail today. Haven't opened the seal on the boxset, but in the shipping box is the replacement vinyl for #7. Totally love that they did that! And a bunch of buttons and patches. I'll open the box to check out the other goodies later. Still 20% off from Asthmatic Kitty if anyone needs one!

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I've had the box since it was released, what, two years ago now? I wonder if I should ask about getting my Volume 7 replaced. It sounds pretty bad in spots. I've just kind of lived with it though, because I only listen to it like one month a year. I guess it's worth a shot, though.

21. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

22. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Absolutely incredible bargain at $65...but they seem to be gone.

Hands down my favorite Christmas albums.

23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

As I was listening to my Silver & Gold box set yesterday, it occurred to me that we should be due for Volumes 11-15 in the Christmas EP series next year, since Silver & Gold was released in 2012.

I remember seeing rumblings from Asthmatic Kitty about releasing Vols. 1-5 on vinyl, but that never seemed to materialize.

24. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Does he still release Christmas CDs every year? Weren't these largely recorded and duplicated as gifts for his friends and family?

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That's my understanding of how it's worked in the past: he does a Christmas EP every year for friends and family, then releases five at a time to the general public as box set. Going by the liner notes for Silver & Gold, at least some of the songs are re-worked with extra instrumentation before the public release.

Satchidananda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.