Record Store Day Black Friday, 11/28/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yes. Salters Records. A really good old-fashioned record store. The owner made a fortune producing concerts back in the 60s and 70s. Groups like the stones the doors airplane etc. They still making improvements to the store all these years later. He just put in the sliding Bins and rolling stools for looking at records underneath the racks. I took a photo of the set up just now. Nothing I hate worse than bending down and trying to flip through some crappy cardboard boxes full of records. The stores A first class act for vinyl.

[​IMG]

2. Just picked up the 2 LP 200g RSD release of Jimi Hendrix- Hear My Music. Serial number: 188

Vinyl_Blues and #OneOccupation like this.
  3. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Throw in one of those helmets that hold 2 beers connected to a straw and you got yourself a decent weekend!

Peter Pyle likes this.
  4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's very cool and very customer friendly. :cheers:

5. That place looks wonderful.

6. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I just left Rockaway records in L.A., and they have LOTS of stuff left!

7. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

Here's my haul from Colorado Springs:

They Might Be Giants "Flood" green vinyl
    Green Day "Tune In, Tokyo..." blue vinyl
    Peter Murphy "Mr. Moonlight Tour" clear vinyl
    Afrika Bambaata "Planet Rock" glow-in-the-dark vinyl

And, since Independent Records was running everything at 20% off (even RSD titles) I picked up the Mofi of "Blood on the Tracks" SACD and the new SBTRKT cd as well.

NapalmBrain likes this.
  8. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I showed up at Fantasyland Records in Atlanta at about 12:15. After being open 2 hours, still a light crowd.

I ended up going for the Little Richard and 5SOS releases. They both sound great to my ears. The Little Richard sounds especially velvetty. Picked up some used CDs as well.

Passed on the Miles Davis and They Might Be Giants ones due to financial limitations, and may end up regretting it.

9. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Saki and Reckless ( Broadway location) in Chicago had them still at 3pm today.

10. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

$80.

11. jawaka

jawaka Senior Member

I'm in Huntington WV visiting and the store I'm in has 1 each of Elvis, Kinks, both Miles Davis, and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

Paully likes this.
  12. Chris Bernhardt

$70 bucks. I passed . I remember liking it quite a bit when it came out, but I didn't think I needed it on vinyl.

13. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I
    It turns out to be one of the best sounding 7" records I've ever had!

sassi likes this.
  14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I wasn't even sure whether or not my local store (in New Zealand) was participating, so I wandered in and found myself the only person looking at their RSD display. Pricey, but I managed to get everything I was interested in (unreleased Miles, Hendrix, Bowie, Chrissie Hynde, Descloux 7") except the Death Grips LP, which I imagine is scarce as gold hen's teeth. Several Neil Young boxes, but at a price no sane person would entertain.

15. brgman

brgman Forum Resident

The only local store (next closest is 35-40 miles away) opened at midnight last night and they had almost nothing.I happen to know the town that the owners live in which is about 20 miles from the store.
    Surprise surprise, someone in that town has a nice long list of RSD releases on Ebay for about 4 times the normal selling prices.
    I'll never bother with going again on RSD day and just try to find it on ebay.
    And i'll never spend another nickel in that store.

RubenH and EasterEverywhere like this.
  16. Chris Bernhardt

I have to say I liked the Miles Blue Note 10" sound wise. Didn't have luck with the Prestige Box.

MrRom92, Tommyboy and Prophetzong like this.
  17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I would like to know how the Good, Bad, Ugly soundtrack sounds. I have a multi-LP set, pressed in Italy, if I recall correctly, of the complete music soundtrack to the film. It was pressed on heavy vinyl. The problem with it is that it was pressed so lightly into the vinyl they the grooves are barely there. It more dynamic passages, my stylus barely stays in the groove and you can hear it. Changing the tracking force doesn't help. I'm hoping this reissue will be better, though won't have the amount of music.

18. You should call them out and name them.

Wilco, Simon A and NewKidInTown like this.
  19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm past standing in line at 6 a.m. on RSD, so when I got to my shop this afternoon, the Beatles and Hendrix were gone. I'll try to get them from Amoeba or some other non-eBay source tomorrow.

My store got one Neil Young box, and, not surprisingly, at $159, it was still there when I got there. I was tempted, but just couldn't justify it.

I did get:

Iron Butterfly: Heavy
    New Order EP
    Jenny Lewis 7"

But the best part of the day for me was that my store was having a 25% off sale on used vinyl, so I picked up:

Strawberry Alarm Clock: Changes, a mint copy of a tough psych record to score

Brenda Lee: Sincerely, Brenda Lee

Loretta Lynn: Before I'm Over You

Marantha: To God Be the Glory, a 70s private press hippie gospel/Jesus Music album

Little Richard: "She's Got It" / "Heebie Jeebies" original Specialty 7"

Simon A likes this.
  20. Over half of these releases weren't available at the store we went to. Not the store's fault. Somebody needs to tell the record labels that Australians buy this stuff too!

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If they took the same care with Long Tall Sally that they took with the mono LP box, I'm not surprised.

22. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"I can't believe the 5 Seconds Of Summer sold out" said no one EVER.

NapalmBrain likes this.
  23. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Got the Miles Davis Blue note 10" and the 7" Miles Davis - Blue Xmas/Devil May Care. Both sound Excellent.

24. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Got mine :winkgrin:
    Happy happy happy.
    For the first time ever I was the first person in line and got a chance to grab all the goodies I wanted.
    This time I went to the Mad Platter in West Chester Pa. which is a killer store since Jupiter didn't host RSD this year. My scores are the Miles Davis Blue Note 10", Beatles EP, Little Richard LP, and the one I'm holding.

[​IMG]

I wonder if the Kevin Gray cut is better than the Bernie Grundman cut on Apple which is excellent.
    There was one of the Sundazed issues at Mad Platter today but I passed.

[​IMG]

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm bummed I must've gotten a bad pressing of my little Richard. it doesn't sound very good at all -- sibilants and tmore distortion than I would like. It's a bummer as last year's release or the year before'a "here's little Richard ". sounded incredible, better than the MOFI. I'm very disappointed. Oh well, I had fun.

bozburn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.