My new Eico HF 81

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sberger, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah, the tubes are beauties. I also have Heathkit UA-1 mono blocks that use 84's, and have Amperex's for them. But I think I like the Mullard's better.

2. sberger

That must sound sweet. Would love to see some pics.

3. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Me too, on the UA-1. And yes, on the Mullard el84's. Wish I would have bought more of them back a few years ago. They do last a looooong time though.

4. sberger

I want to try the UA-1's with my Decware CSP2 preamp at some point. I also have a pair of Heathkit W-5M mono blocks that I used with the CSP2 and liked them better with it than with my restored/updated Dyanco Pas 3. So at some point they'll go back in but right now this amp is about as sweet as it gets.

5. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

that is one sweet looking amp! I just picked up one this weekend, as Frankie says "farm fresh" and needing a complete rebuild. Does anyone have/know of suggestions for stripping the paint from the metal casework, mine has a bit of rust and crazing so I want to remove the old paint and refinish the cabinet, as well as stripping down the chassis by removing all components and cleaning that up, its pretty nasty looking right now...

6. What would be the best speakers for this amp to enjoy bass-heavy musics: 1975-82 Dub, 1972-85 Reggae, 1976-82 Funk???

7. sberger

Very efficient. I used Klipsch Cornwalls. As always, depends on how big your room is, how loud you listen, etc.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Very nice. I bet it sounds great with the Cornwalls. A real trip to vintage heaven.

9. sberger

It did. I've since moved on but everything sounds good on the Cornwalls. Will never sell them.

10. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I've been patiently waiting for mine to be rebuilt. Threads like this one drive me nuts with anticipation.

11. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

You will regret the day you ever got your first vintage tube amp because nothing you will ever buy regardless of how much you spend will ever beat it ! Rebuilt a pair of Heathkit W5m amps when I was 18 and this is when people were literally giving them away in the mid 80s. Have been hooked ever since. Have spent thousands on new amps through the years and always end up returning them and going back to vintage tube. I finally got smart and stopped trying. I now have a stable of vintage amps which are all 100% restored. I like to rotate them in and out from time to time but my go to is the Scott 222/299. Just something about them that is so real, so THERE. Welcome to the world of vintage tube audio!

showtaper and sberger like this.
  12. Hi

I have this amp with my omega 7XRS speakers and I've been drooling over Decware models (the zen @3500 bucks and its smaller brother the mini zen @ 1800 or so).

I'd like you to please explain how much better Decwares are compared to this amp as I'm looking for a reason to (or not to, that is the question) pull the trigger.

FYI, I listen to Reggae, Hip Hop, late 70's-early 80's disco and funk, my wife is into Santana, Pat Metheny and Steely Dan... I NEED something that has great bass, but not suffocatingly so, if you see what I mean.

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't know that I can explain "How much better" the Decware Torii amps are to the EICO but I'll say this: if you want that type of bass, that is exactly what the Torii Mk II and Mk III that I have (one II and two IIIs) excel at. Also they will give you a very open and clear mid-range and an extended sweet treble, to much larger degrees imo than the EICO could. Unless you have VERY inefficient speakers, but those would fare even worse with the EICO.

For my system and needs the Decware amps just have a modern, open, clear sound with speed and accuracy. The EICO had a vintage, warm, in comparison fuzzy vibe that is really nice as a side dish but not for the main audio courses. FOR ME and my musical needs, I'll emphasize that; I outgrew the vintage sound, though I do respect and admire it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  14. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Good post Lonson. I'd love to have an EICO for the vintage appeal and something like the Decware Torii.

That website make me drool. I got to get out of here NOW.

15. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member

Eico HF 81 is a great amp. Wonderful sound. I had one that I loved. Then I had it rebuilt and it killed the magic, so I sold it. It looks like this one was done right. Someone knew what they were doing. The only variation I would have requested is to use copper wire inside instead of silver, but apparently yours sounds fantastic anyway. I think this is one of the best sounding vintage amps ever produced. All the hype is actually true.

16. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Lon that is some amazing stuff!

17. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

:D

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Thanks Rob! Still have all those amps. . . .

19. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Klipsch really had it right Forte's with my system on the left here.....K-Horns in the main room!

sberger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.