VPI Classic 2 and VPI SDS speed controller issues.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by arcticman1970, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Here's the user name for the "VPI guy" on the forum.

2. macster

macster Forum Resident

I feel your pain. Stay positive and do the best that you can, I'n confident that this will work out for you.

M~

3. arcticman1970

arcticman1970 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am not angry or anything just a little disappointed by the turn of events, I do love this turntable tremendously especially since I have added the ring clamp and thought the SDS was going to be a nice addition.

4. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have a Classic 1 that was purchased in March that also uses an external power supply for the motor.

5. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

"VPI Guy" here :) dropping by fast to let you know I'm here but on the run at them moment, will give a detailed response later tonight!

6. macster

macster Forum Resident

BTW, how does the table work without the SDS? Is it rocking the tunes? My Aries 3/SDS is the cats meow.

M~

7. arcticman1970

arcticman1970 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It really does rock the tunes SDS or not,totally satisfied with the turntable.

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

That's great. The next major upgrade that I will do for my table will be to add the 3D tonearm, after that I'll determine whether or not to enter into the lowoutput MC world.

M~

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the new PRIME VPI needs the SDS?

10. GaryM

GaryM New Member

I added the SDS to my new Classic and am pretty happy with the improvement . The music emerges out of a wall of silence .

11. GaryM

GaryM New Member

It is a Classic 3

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I read in a forum that SDS is not necessary with Classic but if you say that sounds good, so yes the new prime need it.. too.

13. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

Hi everyone... first I have to apologize since looking back I said I would post here with more detail, which I later did but on the VPI forum and forgot to post it here. The following is a post I wrote in August about the SDS and Classic ( http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42 )...

"When we changed the Classic 1/2 we were up in the air about the SDS on whether we were going to discontinue, redesign it, or keep it the same. Because of sales numbers (thanks economy!) the best solution seemed potentially discontinuing the SDS. However, we still wanted to provide an improvement for the Classic 1/2 so we added an internal power supply which was essentially a small piece of the SDS. Doing so, it is better than the standard line, but still doesn't compare to an actual SDS. When you turn on the Classic 1 it ramps up the voltage from 0 to 24 volts AC (we are using a 24 volt synchronous motor) which takes about 2 seconds. That's the delay, it's a soft start and if you powder the belt it starts without making nay noise. The reason the numerical display has no effect because no matter what you do it is always 60 Hz because of the built in power supply. Kind of like a fast boat with a governor on it. You can't drive the boat fast or slow just at the mandated speed. Now that sales have ramped up anyone who buys a new SDS from an authorized VPI dear has the option to send in their Classic 1 or 2 base for a no charge replacement 115v AC motor as long as their table is within the 3 year warranty. And if it is no longer under warranty we will do the replacement for $180 plus shipping.

Hope that helps bring some light onto everything with the SDS."

Back to the recent Prime question, you don't need the SDS to run the prime but we are offering the SDS with the Prime as an upgraded package (minus $200 when you buy the SDS with the Prime) because it is a great combination. SDS is not necessary, but it sure helps improve sound quality!

stenway likes this.
  14. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I have nothing but the best experience with VPI - excellent products and superb customer supports. They always respond to my inquiries and help me timely. Kudo to Harry, Mat and the staff. May Sheila and Jonathan rest in peace.

vpiindustries likes this.
  15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Im new to VPI but I start to like the brand,
    Mat ask here (I think based in my question that I sent to VPI today by email about Prime/Scout2/SDS) so double response :)
    thanks again Mat!

vpiindustries likes this.
  16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I really like the Prime a lot but even after 6 years, I think I'm too happy with my Scout to depart with it at this time (or ever). In saying that, I'm still on the fence a bit and I would likely add the SDS to the Prime because of the combo deal. I have the Scout without the SDS and have never had a complaint. I guess my speed may be off but I can't really tell.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's a winning endorsement when you've had something, anything in this hobby for six years and don't feel inclined to upgrade. I hope to be saying the same thing about my Classic 5.7 or so years from now.

18. 007 Bond

007 Bond Member

If you're thinking about adding theSDS, you might have a look at this:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-psu-turntable-speed-controller.355118/page-6

Seems like it does the same thing as the VPI SDS, but at ~half the cost.

mikemoon likes this.
  19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.