Recommend me a new stereo intergrated amp under $500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tyler Eaves, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I've been looking at these too. I was in the Audio Lab in Harvard Square today. He has them on order and is selling for $700 pre-paid. I'm pretty sure he said 700, but my 5-year-old was tugging at my leg. He did say the price is good until Sunday.

2. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident Thread Starter

$700 seems insanely good. I paid $895 for me (that's including free shippign and with no sales tax, which ain't nothing)

3. Lebowski

Tell me about it. I'm going to verify the price tomorrow and I might pull out a credit card. 6.25% sales tax brings it up to ~ $740.

Where'd you get yours?

4. Tyler Eaves

Needledoctor. They actually have it listed at $995 but were happy to pricematch the lower price on other sites.

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

But you end off happier in the end anyway...

I have a all Rega system and the individual components work well together and the whole plays bigger than the sum of its parts.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  6. Tyler Eaves

Yea, absolutely. That's the conclusion I ultimately came to. I'm sure the Yamahas and Onkyos are perfectly nice unit, but the Rega is ultimately the closest to what I wanted...basically a power amp with a an input switcher and volumn knob. No EQ, no DSP, nothing I don't absolutely require in the signal path.

Ntotrar likes this.
  7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I was attracted to the same lack of features! And the phono preamp is very good as well, what Rega TT do you have? Next you will likely want the Rega DAC, a new version is about to released with asynchronous USB. I have the older version but I don't use USB anyway. As I indicated the Rega stuff really plays well together.

8. Tyler Eaves

Highly hotroded RP-1... magic voodoo white belt, Groovertracer acrylic platter, Nagaoka MP-110 cart w/ MP-200 stylus/cantilever.

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a RP1 "performance" and a RP6. I wouldn't part with either (the RP6 is paired with my Brio R). After it settles in let us know how you like it.

10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I listened to a Yamaha 2-channel receiver about a year ago during the process of auditioning speakers. The model is R-S700, 100 watts / channel, ~ 500.00 MSRP. It sounded cleaner, louder, deeper and more dynamic than most amplifiers under 1K. It sounded better than the Rega Elicit R, which costs 3K.

11. Lebowski

There's 4 different models ranging in price from $130-$500. Though Amazon sells refurb models of the S700 for $400.

How's the phono stage? Any idea?

Is it the same as the A-S500 but with an FM receiver built-in?

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Here's the one I am talking about- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS700/Yamaha-R-S700.html?tp=47041
    No idea about phono stage.
    It is not the same as the A-S500- it played louder and had a warmer deeper bass that the A-S500 in a direct A-B comparison at the dealer on the same speakers (Paradigm Monitor 11, GREAT speakers BTW). It sounded amazing and I often think if it actually sounded better than the amp I have (NAD C356).

13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------
    www.accessories4less.com

14. Lebowski

15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have an AS500 Scored it new for $286 shipped and I adore it. Used for vinyl playback mostly. Recently I got a cambridge 651p $229 phono pre amp and it really wasn't any better at all. That makes me think either the 651p is junk or the as500 phono stage is pretty damn good. I moved onto a Lounge MK III and that was a huge leap but I would say the phono stage is better than most would think or expect on these yamahas.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've had an R-S700 for a few years now, although similar in build to the A-S500, it's not an A-S500 with a tuner. The 700 is a nice sounding unit for the price, but the phono stage is nothing special to speak of, it's the weakest point.

peter fuller likes this.
  17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I have a practically brand new Consonance M99 Plus 6L6 intergrated A/B amp for $750. Haggling is not frown upon :D

TerryB likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Do you have experience with the A-S series? Is it better?

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've not heard one myself.

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

But...I would think or hope the RS700 is a step above the AS500 sonically, I would guess the phono stage is the same shared with all these units in this range as well most of the amp/preamp topology, just the power output stage being greater power with the more expensive ones.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My old Adcom GFP 565 preamp phono stage makes the RS 700 phono sound like a kiddie toy, and my guess is the same phono stage is used in the AS500 as well as others in this series, so.....it's nothing special, but..... it is fairly quiet.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Everybody is different. Then again, Pure Audio does that for me on my Onkyo. It's nice to have the option. And useful.

23. Lebowski

Well, my impulsive got the best of me. I pulled the trigger on a Marantz PM5005. Amazon had an open box unit in "like new" condition for $375. Should be here in 2 days. Figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try at home. Can always send it back...

Jeff Edwards and Colin M like this.
  24. Tyler Eaves

It's heeeere.

Initial impressions are that this is pretty awesome....

Sampled so far...

First couple of tracks off the new AC/DC record (vinyl, using the built-in phono pre)
    Various classical and rock I'm familiar with via Tidal

Versus the old Kenwood surround receiver I was using, I've noticed frequency extension in both directions...a noticable increase in low bass, which is welcome, as my Polk's are rather bass-shy. Lots of crispy top end....things like snare hits are really great sounding. Noticeable improvement in resolution too.

Plenty of power too....my old Kenwood claimed 100 watts per channel, and I was routinely going past 50% on volume... on the Rega even 11 o'clock is louder than I'd want to spent lots of time listenting at...

beowulf likes this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Now you know why so many of us have a Brio-R as our prime mover. And why things like power ratings aren't the last word in performance. Congrats and best of luck with it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.