Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just finished listening to Beethoven 4th and Brahms 3rd by the RCO and I do not know who the conductors were. I downloaded 10 of these concerts to my XP desktop, perhaps in 2008 or in 2010, they were free downloads in celebration of some major anniversary of the RCO. No major surprise there, MP3 music offers MP3 SQ even when I played it through my main stereo via the outboard oversampling DAC. I was a bit underwhelmed and unimpressed. Those music files ripped from CD's via the MS Media Player at 192 KB sounds quite good ...

2. coopmv

I need to check my LP collection, as I may have this box as well ... :winkgrin:

bluemooze likes this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I started reading it on my ancient Kindle a while back. The problem was the absence of legible illustrations. I need to download it onto my iPad and continue.
    Also - this would have been a great book to take advantage of the multi-media aspects of a tablet. I have recordings of many of the works he discusses, and can find the rest on Spotify, but clickable excerpts would have been nice.
    I feel the same way about Charles Rosen's The Classical Style, but in that instance the book was written decades before the technology was available.

4. john greenwood

I had one of those boxes on LP. Among my first cantatas.

Mik likes this.
  5. john greenwood

I never took to that set when I had it on LP. I've grown more accustomed to HIP, so I might - I say might - feel differently now.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. john greenwood

7. coopmv

I have always found the tempos of MAK are a bit too brisk for me ...

8. coopmv

I hear you. But adding all kinds of active links in the e-book would have required a bit more work ...

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 2 from "The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book" performed on various instruments by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ToddBD and Mik like this.
  10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Jansons for both

11. john greenwood

Back around 1990, The Voyager Company (which was affiliated with Criterion) released a CD-ROM of Schubert's Trout Quintet, where you could listen to the music while reading an analysis. That technology is ancient by today's standards, but it was valuable to me in learning to understand classical music. Is there any equivalent today?

12. coopmv

So Mariss Jansons was RCO's last conductor ...

13. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

SIBELIUS The 7 Symphonies, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Colin Davis vinyl
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  14. coopmv

I bought the CD twofer about 2 months ago. I am not sure if I actually have the LP set. I do have some degree of overlaps between my LP and CD collections ...

bluemooze likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He still is, until the end of the 2014/2015 season. Gatti will take over in 2016. The RCO will have no chief conductor in the 2015/2016 season.

16. coopmv

I have always identified Bernard Haitink with the RCO since I was a young man ... :winkgrin:

EasterEverywhere and ToddBD like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Praetorius - Terpsichore (1612)/Dances/Musae Sioniae/Motets" performed by the Early Music Consort Of London led by David Munrow on EMI/Angel.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In my view Haitink's heyday was during his later years as chief conductor of the (then) CO; he was their first conductor between 1961 and 1988. They didn't become "royal" until 1988, just after Haitink had left.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  19. coopmv

I enjoy the Beethoven 9th by Haitink with the CO a bit more than his more recent Beethoven 9th with the LSO ... :agree:

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In my opinion Haitink's Beethoven was never very successful.

21. coopmv

I have a limited number of CD recordings by David Munrow, who was a real close friend with Christopher Hogwood. I may have a few LP recordings by David Munrow as well, as a friend back in the 80's used to be a big fan of Munrow ...

bluemooze likes this.
  22. coopmv

How do you like the Beethoven by Eugene Jochum with the CO? I have the symphonies in a Philips box ...

23. coopmv

Now playing CD1 - The Indian Queen from the following box, which arrived a few days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

Just ordered the following CD to add a new title to my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Clemens Non Papa - Missa Pastores quidnam vidistis" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.