Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I would have liked to see Harrison Ford, but the appearance of the Falcon was more than enough for me. It's 1983 all over again.

bru87tr likes this.
  2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I agree. they should have made Vader's "original" suit match some of the early production art. That would have been cool.

3. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Yeah, not sure what the point of the goofy lightsaber is other than to be different. Different is not always better. It would be really hard not to accidentally hurt yourself with that thing, force or no force. :)

- Buck

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

For me at least, the best part:

[​IMG]

Allen Michael, bru87tr and mikeyt like this.
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I have to keep my expectations in check. The teaser for Abrams' Super 8 was spectacular and that ended up being a fairly pedestrian movie for me. I'm not a fan his Star Trek movies either, but I did think that his visual style would work really well for Star Wars.

6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I am one who felt the same way you did about the new trailer, call me a geek but my eyes watered a bit.

The prequel trailers did nothing for me, absolutely nothing!!!!! I sat there wondering what it was, cause it was not the Star Wars I grew up with.

I still went to see the movies, just disappointment though. Hopefully this time around they actually hire actors based on skill and not how they look for the part. Even seasoned actors in those prequels, did not fit or belong in the Star Wars franchise. Such cold stale acting.

My daughter (12 yrs old) sat and watched A New Hope (first time) with me today after watching the new trailer (she really liked the new trailer).

She laughed so much during the movie, she got a lot of the simple humor that was missing in all the prequels. The prequels had no charm at all and no connection could be made, lifeless acting. She asked is there a sequel to the first one, I told her yes. She immediately wanted to watch it, another day I told her (Mom didn't like all the noise from the HT). :)

I think Disney is going to get it right. They know if they don't, you might as well flush the franchise down the toilet. I hope I am right.

jriems and Lord Summerisle like this.
  7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Part of me is pumped for the movie, the other part is eager for the new Lego sets that with come from it. Even though its just a teaser, it looks good.

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Since this comes out on Christmas of 2015 I wonder when the merchandise will start to trickle out? Black Friday in 2015 is going to be hell. I feel for those who work in toy departments of stores.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I must admit I felt a brief tingle in my underpants while watching the trailer. I really hope they do it right this time.

That upside-down falcon shot gives me vertigo. Can't watch it.

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Notice the new deflector dish on top of the Falcon (presumably to replace the one lost in Jedi)? Nice touch.

bru87tr and The Spaceman like this.
  11. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I will say, the Stormtroopers look a lot scarier than they did in the original trilogy. I wonder if they'll have better aim?

- Buck

PROG U.K. and bru87tr like this.
  12. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

It's weird that the prequel trilogy gets so much heat. As far as I am concerned, Phantom Menace is the best part of them all, with the 6th episode occupying a firm second. Kui-Gon, in my opinion, is the best jedi - most human. Jar-Jar is a laugh riot as well as his people. I don't know... Phantom Menace has some really great vibe to it... While episodes 2 and 3 are to full of pathos and pretence. If the 7th episode is anything like the 1st one - I would be one happy camper... maybe I'm such a fan, because the Phantom Menace was THE episode, which got acquainted me with the universe of Star Wars in the first place. I watched all parts, when 2 and 3 were not available yet. Episode 4 looked really bleak after the 1st one. Still, Phantom Menace is the best for me for the reasons stated above. I know - that this view is odd for most of the SW fandom.

13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Super 8 fell apart in the third act, but up to that point I thought it was surprisingly good, lens flares and all.

These films aren't going to be a patch on Star Wars and Empire -- really, how could they be, given the cultural and historical impact of those films, and the ways the first film changed the industry? -- but I expect Abrams will make them tightly paced action films with a sense of humor that are a lot of fun to watch.

Gardo and bru87tr like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I had a certain sense of déjà vu watching the trailer. I mean that in a good way because it made me feel like they're going back to the roots of the original film. Of course, it's just an impression, but so far so good.

Oh and yeah, I hated the light saber too! :)

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The one really successful thing about Phantom Menace for me was the trailer! It was full of intriguing images and exotic sights and really made you curious and excited about what the movie was going to be... I maintain the prequels had fantastic visuals if nothing else. They just died whenever anyone opened their mouth.

The teaser for the new movie has intrigue and cool shots too but I was thinking the settings don't look too interesting -- they're in the desert on Tattooine *again*?

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Brave!

bru87tr and googlymoogly like this.
  17. The prequels get heat because the use of language is so poor. The dialogue saps suspense and doesn't flow well at all. This might not be as readily apparent in foreign markets.

bru87tr likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

An interesting tidbit I came across was that the movie features a new John Williams score. A variation of the theme no doubt.

19. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

For a backwater planet, Tatooine sure gets a lot of action in this universe.

JPagan and Solaris like this.
  20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And lens flares.

21. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

22. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

well, just saying what I think... honestly.

Dee Zee likes this.
  23. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

oh well, I watched everything in English, mind you. Can't say that dialogues are genius in any part. Dialogues aren't sure the selling point of SW.

24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I watched Phantom Menace tonight with my 2 boys - ages 5 and 10. They liked it of course but I had forgotten how stiff the acting was and the dialog was just plain terrible, IMO. Not sure how or why it was made to look and sound like that.

Pat

bru87tr likes this.
  25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I dunno, there are a lot of memorable lines in Star Wars and Empire both. In Star Wars, that's likely because of Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz being called in during shooting to punch up the script with extra dialogue, just as they had done on American Graffiti. Whatever George Lucas is, he ain't a master of dialogue.

Tristero, bru87tr and Jason Manley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.