Is the AT440MLA cartridge good for an AT LP120 turntable (preamp removed)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cosmo_Kramer, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo_Kramer

Cosmo_Kramer Member Thread Starter

Hello,
    Is the AT440MLA cartridge good for an AT LP120 turntable (with the original preamp removed)? I know it will fit but I'm not sure if it's a good match with tone arm.

Thank you for your time.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My first attempt at putting together a decent system included an AT-PL120 with an AT440MLa. It totally changed the way I regarded my record collection!

JimSpark and Cosmo_Kramer like this.
  3. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I have the same TT as you, preamp removed also, but I have the more pricey ATmlx150 on mine. From what I've read of the 440 and my own experience with what I have, I would say absolutely the 440 is good for this table. It's actually a better match I believe compliance speaking for this table's tonearm than the 150mlx due to the lighter weight, but I have managed to modify my table to handle the 150mlx very well. I would think you will be very happy with that 440 on that table with the preamp gone

Cosmo_Kramer likes this.
  4. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

The only negative things I've ever heard about that cartridge is that it's a bit unforgiving of surface noise, and it can be difficult to keep clean. If you keep your records in good shape, neither should be an issue.

It used to be that if I heard a problem, I'd swap cartridges to make sure it was the record, and not the cartridge. It's been the record 100% of the time. I don't bother to double check anymore. Bad sound = bad record, period.

Licorice pizza and Cosmo_Kramer like this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

This may be related to the previous comment, but I've read things saying the 440 is possibly somewhat 'bright' sounding. If that sounds unappealing to you, maybe read up on it some more and maybe check out some alternate carts in the same price range.

Without knowing specifics, hard to know if a given cart will work with the AT table's arm (WRT resonance frequency etc.), but I bet it's not finicky ...

MadMelMon and Cosmo_Kramer like this.
  6. Cosmo_Kramer

I've read some people think it is "bright", does this mean added treble?

7. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

It means the cartridge could hold its own if it goes head-to-head with Albert Einstein.

DaleH and Cosmo_Kramer like this.
  8. Cosmo_Kramer

Nice! Maybe bright is a good thing.... :)

9. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I have this exact combination and love the results. MY AT LP120 TT does have the preamp removed, and I have played it 90% of the time with the AT440MLA cart, but the few times I've used lesser cartridges (elliptical AT95e and conical AT-CN5625AL) on it, I can tell how much more detail the AT440MLA brings to the music, and not in a bad way. I wouldn't call it "bright," just "detailed." However, the AT440MLA is the highest-end cartridge I've ever owned, so take into consideration that my ears may not be as sophisticated as some other reviewers here. But I think that if you already had this TT/cart combination as I do, and if you didn't have another $1000 burning a hole in your pocket (which I don't), you'll probably be very pleased, and will want to stick with it.

Cosmo_Kramer likes this.
  10. Cosmo_Kramer

Thank you for this post. I'm going to try the AT 440mla. What tools did you use to align it/install it?

Rick58 likes this.
  11. JimSpark

Nothing fancy. I used an AT headshell, a Shure Stylus Force Gauge, and a generic mirrored cartridge alignment protractor. I set the tracking force to 1.5, within AT's recommended range for that cartridge (1.0 to 1.8), and used a matching anti-skate setting of 1.5, too. I like how it sounds like that, but I should probably try to tweak those tracking and anti-skate forces a bit to see how they might affect the sound.

Happy listening!

Cosmo_Kramer likes this.
  12. Cosmo_Kramer

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hi! That's my very rarely updated blog. I absolutely stand by that alignment method using Stevenson A. Haven't had a lick of trouble since doing it. I have three carts on different head shells that I swap in and out, and they're all aligned that way. Very distortion-free, once it's done. Using the Technics alignment gauge gave me nothing but headaches in comparison.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    DaleH and Cosmo_Kramer like this.
  14. JimSpark

15. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Good thread. I was wondering how this would sound on my Sony PS-X5 as opposed to the AT95E I currently have on it.

Cosmo_Kramer likes this.
  16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I don't see any problem using the AT440MLA with that turntable. If Audio Technica's cartridge was a poor fit for their own turntable, something would be drastically wrong! ;)

However, I would consider getting the Shure M97xE instead. It's a much less expensive cartridge, plus there are a few other benefits:
    • It is a much more neutral cartridge than the AT440MLA. Some claim it's "duller," but anything might seem dull in comparison to AT's bright cartridges. (Yes, the brightness refers to more prominent treble.) Personally, I love the Shure and I think they bring out the warmth of vinyl...particularly vintage vinyl. (Opinions vary, of course, but it comes down to a matter of personal preference.)
    • The stock stylus will be more forgiving on used vinyl and won't be as noisy if there is any dirt or dust in the grooves.
    • You can upgrade to the Jico SAS stylus later on if you want even better tracking, especially when playing new vinyl or certain "challenging" records with troublesome inner grooves. The advantage is that you can switch between the stock stylus and the SAS stylus depending on what records you're playing...giving you more versatility. (Granted, you could also get the AT440MLA and go the opposite direction, getting a cheaper elliptical stylus for use with used records.)

Robin L and Cosmo_Kramer like this.
  17. Cosmo_Kramer

Thanks for the reply! Do you know where I could hear needle drops of both cartridges? Since a lot of the decision is on personal preference, it's hard to decide what cartridge to get without first hearing it.

18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Don't know any needledrops but there's a Youtube video here:

It's not what you're looking for but still better than nothing...

Trashman likes this.
  19. This guy uses the combination you are looking for:

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not the 440 in my experience. Clean, detailed but not unforgiving. A very fine cartridge and a real steal (IMO) even at its higher price.

MadMelMon likes this.
  21. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I have to say I haven't noticed any either. An audiophile friend mentioned it (he's the one who convinced me to buy it,) but I haven't had any issues.

22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

The surface noise issue with the 440mla - it's something I've struggled with. I've found that it picks up every minute little flaw in the vinyl. I've tried in-line resistors (to decrease the load) and that helped a little. Recently I've tried putting the tracking force to 1.7g and that seems to help as well. Despite this, still well worth it for its tracking ability.

23. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Hey Ben, I'm going to try this on my Technics SL-D202 - do I need to align the cart to both grids? (it says "either")

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I find that if I get it aligned on the outer grid, it aligns on the inner grid too -- or close enough for government work.

Did you get the proper measurements for your SL-D202's tone arm to enter into the template generator?

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Have you tried lowering the VTA? I've done this with my M97xE/Jico combo and it tamed the brightness a bit, gave me a little bit more bass and just generally a more pleasing tone. I used to think I wanted it brighter but I've changed my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.