Star Wars Prequel Hate Taken To Absurd Levels?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Spaceman, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I used to love RTOTJ when i was a younger lad...but it just didn't age as well as the other two. EMPIRE to me is the pinnacle Star Wars flick. It's just a damn good movie period.

JimC, Encuentro and amonjamesduul like this.
  2. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

ynnek4 likes this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I recently found the fan-made "de-specialized" theatrical versions on the internet, in terms of picture and sound quality they're somewhere in between the DVD and Blu-ray sets.

mj_patrick and bru87tr like this.
  4. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Don't all discussions of George Lucas rise to absurd levels?

He raped all our childhoods, after all!

5. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's because Obi Wan dies in Episode 4 and Anakin in Episode 6. No matter how the prequels were written, this fact is already there. When the original trilogy first came out, we didn't know that happened. That's not a fault with these prequels. That comes with the territory with any prequel. You conveniently left out Qui-Gon's death in Episode 1. He was a main character and something mortal did happen to him. Now I'll wait for your response to say how badly it was written and acted.

Good God you're one of those people?:doh: :rolleyes:

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nah. George might've molested my childhood a bit, but I wouldn't say he RAPED it! :laugh:

7. Oatsdad

But this is true of many, many movies. Take any movie adapted from a book or a historical source - you know how it's gonna end, right?

Spoiler alert: Abe dies at the end of "Lincoln"! :eek:

8. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I'm surprised some people aren't familiar with that joke. It's been around for years.

9. Oatsdad

Of course I'm familiar with the joke. I was making my own variant, thank you! :)

Standoffish likes this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Agreed. Empire is in a class by itself.

JimC and bru87tr like this.
  11. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

With all due respect, you have some reading comprehension issues. That is exactly what I said. The ideas of even writing prequels was misguided for those exact reasons, because virtually all of the main characters are immortal for the entirety of the series. I didn't leave anything out; look up the word, "virtually," if you find that sentence confusing.

They are three terrible movies.
    Um, the fact that you consider any of the pre-Begins Batman movies good, illustrates that you really don't understand cinema and storytelling, outside of what makes you personally happy, so that also perfectly explains your childlike opinion of those horrible Lucas atrocities.

12. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

Not in the same league for sure as the first film and Empire, but when it works (which in most of the time, IMO), it works very well. The opening Jaba sequence is still stellar. It's Citizen Kane compared to those other films.

bru87tr likes this.
  13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I love Jedi but that could be the nostalgia goggles. I even like the Ewoks (unless they blink) and for 1983 I think they work well. The Jabba's palace, the assault on the second Death Star and the showdown in the Emperor's throne room are just as good as anything in Empire.

ynnek4, Grunherz54 and bru87tr like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

While it's true prequels can be lacking in suspense for that reason, I think there was plenty of curiosity among Star Wars fans about how exactly the backstory of Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi played out, and that was justification enough for doing it. (Even if in the end it might have been better left to the imagination.)

Sigh... All the same Star Wars debates and opinions, back for another decade!

JimC likes this.
  15. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

As I'll say for anyone who has difficulty articulating their distaste for the prequels: Go watch the Red Letter Media Reviews of the prequel trilogy. It explains in great, hilarious detail why those 3 films were truly, unequivocally abysmal pieces of filmmaking and an insult to the franchise.

START HERE (and don't let the narrator's deliberately obnoxious voice deter you. It's worth it to stick it through the whole thing.)

bru87tr, Pinknik, In-Absentia and 3 others like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Genius! :D

17. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

I actually believe that the opposite was true. People were so jazzed for a new Star Wars movie that they rated it much higher than it deserved. Roger Ebert, usually a sensible critic, gave The Phantom Menace three and a half stars! Come on.

In 1999, I was working with a 19 year-old kid who was a huge Star Wars fan. He claimed to love the movie, which led to many discussions between us. He went on to see it 10 times in the theater, claiming it got better every time he saw it, to which I would scoff and try to point out why it was terrible. Eventually, he quit and I didn't see him for a few years. When I did run into him again, I asked him, "Do you still think The Phantom Menace is awesome?" He hung his head and said, "No. I don't know what I was thinking. It really is an awful movie. I was just caught up in it.", or words to that effect. I remember it as I was astounded that he not only came to that realization, but actually admitted to being wrong. That doesn't happen too often.

I think a lot of people were just so excited to have any new Star Wars, that they gave it a pass and tried to convince themselves that is was good. I don't remember any unjustified lambasting whatsoever.

Vidiot, bru87tr and Abbey Road like this.
  18. Lucas original trilogy begs, steals and borrows from a variety of better works but manages to combine them in such a novel and entertaining way that they work.

The following films were made by a different man. He never developed as a director.

They are pretty dreadful although they do improve a bit with each successive film.

The original Trilogy also benefited from help from friends so e acknowledged some not--the fist film benefited from some Uncredited rewriting by Gloria Katz and Willard Huyck while Larence Kasdan collaborated on the later two films. It was a pool of talent that helped make the films memorable.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  19. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think true fans are more upset about the special editions than the prequels.
    With the prequel films you can pretend they never existed, but with the special editions you are constantly reminded of it.

bru87tr likes this.
  20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

People nowadays seem to get more enjoyment from not liking things than liking them.

There are plenty of threads here discussing things people don't like. I can't be bothered spending time going over things I don't care for.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    bluenote likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why exactly ?

22. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

No, I don't think the hate is taken to absurd levels. The films are stupidly boring. Boring story, boring editing, boring dialogue, boring characters, all combined with stupid scenes that only exist to show off CGI technology. There really isn't much that is actually good about the prequels.

As others have said, if you have a spare few hours and want a good laugh whilst learning something, check out the RedLetterMedia reviews of these films. He's done some other good reviews too, for films like Avatar, Titanic, and the Star Trek film series.

bru87tr likes this.
  23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

All you have to do is watch part 6 & 7, if anyone can still argue it was good, there is no hope for you.

In fact, the whole review was more entertaining than all the prequels combined!

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

This is why I wish there was a dislike option for posts.

25. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I don't care for them, I guess because the acting is bad (apart from Ewan McGregor), and there are certain things that don't wash. Like R2 knowing all this time what really happened. And the Jinn character was dumb. Not once did Obi Wan ever say in the OT that he had a teacher that wasn't Yoda. You'd think it would've come up at some point. And they never questioned the fact that there was an army ready and waiting for them to use, just when they needed to have one.

I don't mind the political stuff as much, because I like how Palpatine sneaked his way into power. And I don't mind that Anakin basically joined the dark side because he loved his girl so much, although I did have issues that he was pretty quick to go murder all of the little kids right off the bat.

ynnek4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.