Review: Marantz PM/CD 5005 Integrated Amp/CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is just really nice stuff. I know there is a romantic view of small, artisnal audio shops, but the big guys have economies of scale
    and engineering power.

2. I think I've been convinced that due to the often better sound quality on the SACD layer of even a Hybrid SACD that I'd want a SACD player.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  3. ServingTheMusic

4. ServingTheMusic

Ah, hence the name Johnny...VINYL! I hear ya. Yes, than the SA8005 should be your maximum outlay.

It would also lay the ground work to allow you to dabble in high resolution digital down the road.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  5. moops

moops Senior Member

In the last couple of months I've switched from a Rogue Sphinx to a Marantz PM6005. Most likely a downgrade to the majority here as the Marantz is half the price, but I find it a more involving listening experience, just better synergy with the rest of my gear at this time. Pretty neat what Marantz can include in these very affordable amps. And I'll admit, they remind me of old school amps with their flexibility with regards to tone controls and a Loudness control. Yes I know these features get the purists all worked up but at my level they are welcome.

6. ServingTheMusic

Great post...there are no downgrades or upgrades....just what hits the spot.

It also has to do with the amp and speaker interface.

moops and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  7. Well, the purists at times tend to have a very rigid, uncompromising view about anything that deviates from their beliefs. I personally don't pay much attention to that holier-than-you attitude, because in the case of tone controls they are wrong IMO.
    I have tone controls on my KI Pearl and also my Genesis G7.1 speakers and I love it. No matter what the system, some albums need help. Too etched? TONE is DOWN. Not enough low-level oomph...INCREASE the BASS. What's wrong with that?

moops and formu_la like this.
  8. ServingTheMusic

Oh boy...don't go saying this stuff on that other forum!!!!:shh::D

9. LOL! I have.....:hide:

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

And you lived to tell!!!!!:shh:

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yes, fantastic choice.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm the same. I'm mostly a records guy but there are a lot of great releases on SACD and CD too and sometimes only CD. The Brothers and Sisters 4oth anniversary four CD deluxe set is one that comes to mind. I was fortunate to find a mint used SA8003 deck here in the Hoffman classified forums for a very reasonable price. It's a great sounding deck and some of the SACDs that I own really do sound just as good vinyl. I have a lot of the Music Matters, Analogue Productions, and ORG 45 rpm jazz releases and the Analogue Productions SACDs that I own really give my 45 rpm records a run for their money. The deck also makes my standard CDs sound excellent too.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was surprised to read one of your testing CDs was U2's latest. Granted I have only heard free iTunes version, but I guess I expected the cd release to be just like all their releases since 2000 in terms of SQ.

14. ServingTheMusic

I think it sounds pretty good...and I'm a total mastering snob. DR is reported to be around 8 or 9.

15. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

just picked up the marantz cd 5005....actually AB'd it with the 6005...apart from the options on the 6005 (USB), they sounded identical. I went with little brother and am very pleased. Played my 2009 beatles stereo cd's (actually sat and listened for hours, none of that doin the dishes with music in backround stuff) and noticed how wonderful the vocals sounded...really took a nice dimentional step out of the mix...had warmth, clear as a bell with nothing lacking or over emphasised in any of the instruments, and no listening fatigue!! If you play mostly CD's then this is a fine player to have... the great SQ is quite noticable.

mikaal likes this.
  16. ServingTheMusic

I obviously agree...and the price is crazy good.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yamaha do their BD-A1040 player which may be worth a look. SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD all offered as well as Blu-ray. Price in the UK is around £400 to give you an idea. Think I'd be tempted to look into that one.

18. I really want to stay with Marantz as it would match my Marantz KI Pearl Integrated. I'm a bit of a sucker for aesthetics. I could drop down to the UD5007, but I could be sacrificing a good deal of performance. I need to do some research on that.

19. Brother_Rael

Have to say I've cooled on the UD7007. Tried it on various settings, pure audio direct, etc and it still leaves me a little cold.

Compared to my Redbook only AVI Lab Series with its twin Wolfson DACs, it's no contest. The AVI by a mile.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  20. I'm going to bring it down a notch as I can't justify the price. In Canada with taxes the SA8005 or UD7007 will set me back $1,500....I'm not prepared to spend that much when only 5% of my music listening is digital. It looks like the UD5007 is my only option.

21. Brother_Rael

Maybe a used SA-7001 or 7001-KI? SACD only though. Lovely player but you might get NOS for less.

22. cd fiend

cd fiend Member

I picked up the CD5005 today from Craigslist for more than half it's retail. It's basically like new. I've owned many digital components and plain CD players, but never anything that cost more than $500. This might be the best sounding CD player I have ever used. I had no reason to buy except I figured it would be nice to have a CD only component. Thanks for the review or I would of likely not thought twice of buying this model.

23. ServingTheMusic

Wow. You redefined the term steal!

Thanks for reading. It really is a amazing how good entry level CD players are these days. Years ago you got mostly crap..

24. cd fiend

cd fiend Member

Agree. It's the first true CD player I've owned in at least a decade. It's always been a Sony with SACD, Oppo, Denon, universal systems. I only wish I had bought a CD player only unit before.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.